*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Need Speaker Advice Please

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Need Speaker Advice Please

Postby flstf » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:49 pm

Hi

I know theres a lot of information on the forum regarding speakers but can i ask for help with the following.

I am going to use an Alpine 9882ri head unit and i am in the process of getting an amp and component speakers.
I want to replace the door speakers but dont want to start cutting the doors, so i need some 13cm speakers.
I might add a small sub later but for now i want the best sound using 13cm speakers. My budget is £100
for the speakers. Can anyone tell me what fits and what doesnt. Ive looked at:

Hertz DSK 130.3 (been told they will fit)
Infinity referance 5030CS (been told they wont fit)

Where is the best place to instal the tweeters, in the door or the pillars?
Any pictures of installed kit?

Any advice is appreciated
flstf
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Need Speaker Advice Please

Postby gt_addict » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:51 am

I've got a set of JBL P562's in my van running direct off the head unit. Nice sounding speaker and capable of more than I put them through. Also got a pioneer TS-WX77A mounted to the bulkhead which adds quite a bit of depth (and makes the wing mirrors vibrate on occasion).
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby mrtn » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:14 am

You really should cut the door frames. It's not a big job but 13 cm speakers have no real advantage in punching power unless you go high end component way with powerful amps.
1.6 Ecoboost A/T LWB '16
mrtn
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby geekshow » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:53 am

What size of speaker will fit? I've read 17cm (6.5") is impossible, but 5x7 is possible.

I just took the door card off my '04 SWB connect and there's not much room around or behind the factory speaker location. I don't want a 13cm speaker due to lack of bass/punchiness.
geekshow
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mrtn » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:47 am

There may be variations in magnet sizes but a generic 5x7 fits with a little bit of cutting offset in relation to the door card grille.
1.6 Ecoboost A/T LWB '16
mrtn
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mrtn » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:53 am

However, if you don't have the spare 5x7 already I would look at quality 13 cm components. With an amp.
1.6 Ecoboost A/T LWB '16
mrtn
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby C8XY » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:58 am

What about speaker adapters? Are they required and do they give more options?

Also, if they are required - what adapters fit?
C8XY
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mrtn » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:26 am

I don't think anything would fit between the frame and the grille, it's pretty tight there. You would need an extra inch in depth to fit something bigger without cutting.

So it's either the biggest you could fit or good 2-way components with the sub frequencies cut off + a subwoofer.
1.6 Ecoboost A/T LWB '16
mrtn
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby plushterry » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:49 pm

You will struggle to get good sound in a connect with 13cm door speakers. It's virtually impossible to get any bass without putting in a sub or two. I've wasted plenty of money trying haha. The door speakers I use at the moment are the focal integrated ones, they're about £100 and come with tweeters. The sound is clear but not bassy, even with a hell of a lot of deadening in all the right places.

If you want good sound, I recommend putting some wideband speakers on your a-pillars (no need for tweeters unless you are a bat). I'm using scanspeak 10f run thru a hertz amp and they sound great.
plushterry
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Connect