*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

fuel / starting issue thats got me scratching my head !

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

fuel / starting issue thats got me scratching my head !

Postby mattratty » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:24 am

just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and what was the cause ? .......

when i serviced the van (tdci) the new fuel filter was utter crap so got promptly binned and the old one fitted as a "temporary" measure ,bled up the fuel on it ran no probs , i then forgot all about it running on the old filter so its been on for another 6 months

earlier this week it took a bit of winding over to start but started , got to work (noticed slightly underpowered) , came to restart it at end of shift and it wouldn't fire at all . straight away i thought blocked filter as i didn't know how long it was on before i tried changing it and it been on a further 6 months . however with just a whiff of easy start , well carb cleaner to be precise , it fired up and ran fine but again failed to restart after being stood

i have now replaced the filter with a bosch item , bled the fuel , cranked it over but wouldn't fire (nowt unusual after a filter change), just a small quirt of carb cleaner and it ran fine , took it for a run , all good , powers back , ticks over smooth . thinking all is good i parked it up (after trying it a couple of times starting and it struck up straight away) , came to go work few hours later and again wouldn't fire .

i have just bled it again and same again , cranked but wouldn't fire , started straight away with just 1 quirt of carb cleaner , took for a run and all is good but i have a funny feeling that it wont fire tomorrow morning again so its left me scratching my head , it appears to bleed up fine

i'm thinking either air is getting back into the filter when its left stood ( possibly another faulty filter ? ) or maybe even glowplugs but it has failed all of sudden and not steadily got worse , i'm praying its not the pump ! and doubt it is as it runs sweet once its going (with a quirt of carb cleaner)

before i investigate further when its light has anyone else had a similar problem ?
mattratty
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: fuel / starting issue thats got me scratching my head !

Postby Brains_transit » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:51 am

It could be the injectors, a leak back test will be a good idea
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Transit Connect