*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Heater problem. Not motor or resistor.

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Heater problem. Not motor or resistor.

Postby Kdf1966 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:47 pm

Hello, had an issue with my heaters I got in the van yesterday to take it for test and the heaters didn't work, which meant an interesting drive to the test centre.

The fuse had blown (64) under the bonnet so I changed this and it blew again. Changed it and checked each setting and it only blew on setting number 4. I pulled the motor out and it was a bit stiff so I freed it off (been sat for a while so a bit of wd40 and span it with the airline till it would spin freely) and put it back in and it works fine but only on number 4.

I checked the voltage at both blue/black cables at the resistor pack and no voltage is going to them so I checked voltage at the switch black and yellow and black and orange and no voltage there either.

Swapped r1 with another relay (radiator fan relay) no power at heater switch.

I don't have a relay in r2 could that be the problem?

Anyone have any idea what could cause this?

Cheers
Kdf1966

Re: Heater problem. Not motor or resistor.

Postby triple5 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:23 pm

Sounds like the resistor pack is faulty if the fan works on #4 only.
triple5

Postby Kdf1966 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:52 pm

There's no power to the resistor pack so can't rule that out either way.
Kdf1966

Postby gt_addict » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:48 pm

For a couple of quid replace both relays as the rad fan one could've burnt out as my rad fan doesn't even spin anymore (not that you really need it on this age of Diesel engine). Then see if that solves it.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby nokivasara » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:45 pm

Did you ever fix this?
I have the same issue I think.

Twice my fan motor has been dead only to start working again when I move the fan speed knob back and forth, the motor has sounded like it's not spinning very easily so I have cleaned and lubed it and after that everything worked great until today.
I had a blown 30amp fuse in the engine compartment fuse box so I changed that, the fan worked for a minute then died, I checked the fuse but it was ok.
Fan came to life for a while but died and has been dead since. I had a volt meter hooked up to the connector when it died and there is no voltage to the motor at this point.

I'm thinking the resistor pack is OK since this happens at any speed setting. Can I put a jumper wire on the two wires going to the resistor to rule that out? That should give full speed on the fan motor right?

Which relays should I check out?
Is the fan speed knob assembly easy to get out? I tried to see from the backside if I could measure the voltage at the knob but couldn't see anything interesting back there.
Transit Connect TDCI 110
nokivasara
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby nokivasara » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:18 pm

Oh I noticed that it does blow the fuse afterall, it didn't before but now it does.
With the resistor pack unplugged the fan motor can be run at full speed so I hooked up the voltmeter and checked the voltage to the plug going in to the motor. With the connector unplugged I get 12V and the fuse is ok, with the motor connected it runs for a few seconds and the blows the fuse.

Took the motor out and it spins very easily, must be a short circuit somewhere? But why does it run for a while?

Oh the joy of car repairs outside when it's 3C and raining :mrgreen:
Transit Connect TDCI 110
nokivasara
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby nokivasara » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:20 pm

A bit of an update, I ordered a new blower motor and also a resistor pack.
Got the motor today so I installed it and then I thought about testing it with the old resistor pack so I was about to plug it in when I saw this:
DSC_0232.jpg

DSC_0231.jpg

The ground pin was burnt and not making a good contact, that explains why the fan wouldn't start on occasion. Maybe the old fan motor is OK afterall...
I cut the wires and put spade connectors on them, with double layers of heat shrink tubes for isolation. Dont mind the tie-wraps, just my way of labeling stuff :D
I know that there are new connectors on ebay but I really need to get the fan working by friday at the latest so I'll run without the connector for the moment.
DSC_0229.jpg

Now I'm just waiting for the new resistor pack to show up so I can finish this job...
Transit Connect TDCI 110
nokivasara
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby nokivasara » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:30 pm

I have tested my spade connectors for 2 hours on lowest fan speed and they seem OK. I'll go with this and if it doesn't work I'll get the updated connector.
I'm sure the burnt connector caused the fan to not turn on sometimes but I don't know if it also blew the fuse, I tried to run the old fan motor without the resistor pack connected and that blew the fuse so I suspected the motor to be at fault. But at that test the burnt connector was still connected to the wires so I'm not sure if the cause was the blower motor or the connector. I still have the old parts so I can make a test rig and try to solve that later.
Here's how it's set up right now:
mms_img-1683594393.jpeg
Transit Connect TDCI 110
nokivasara
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mrtn » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:20 am

A few years ago I ordered the resistor pack but it turned out to be a molten connector after all. Rebuilt the connector and replaced the pollen filter and it's been good since.
1.6 Ecoboost A/T LWB '16
mrtn
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Transit Connect