*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

powertrain light

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

powertrain light

Postby theharve01 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:16 am

hi,
when i am overtaking my powertrain light comes on. the van struggles to hit high 2000rpm. at the next set of lights if i turn the engine off and on again the light goes away and all is fine. usually until i go to overtake someone again.

what i was wondering is, will the fault code stay in the memory if i take it to get put on a diagnostics or does the light have to be on for that.

also i have read that this could be a dirty egr valve problem, would it be worth taking out and cleaning before i do anything else.

i figure it cant be a bad mechanical problem as the light would stay on all the time, that it just has to be a faulty sensor. would this make sense

08 ford connect
75ps
lwb
engine 1.8l duratorq tcd fgt - lynx
theharve01

Re: powertrain light

Postby Graham Taylor » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:19 pm

There will be a fault code stored.

I had same problem with my van when hitting 2000 revs, light came on and it bottomed out. If I put my foot down it cut out! My problem was a failing fuel pump which also knacked my injectors but maybe I should tell you this :-(
Graham Taylor
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby theharve01 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:47 pm

hi, thanks for that graham.
and when you turned your engine off and on did your light go out aswell.
theharve01

Postby Graham Taylor » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:56 pm

theharve01 wrote:hi, thanks for that graham.
and when you turned your engine off and on did your light go out aswell.

Yes, only came back on when I tried to put my foot down. Hopefully yours may be a cheaper fix.
Graham Taylor
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby vectisitch » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:17 pm

had this on mine. turned out to be a split hose to the intercooler. mine was the left hose from the turbo to the intercooler. the one from the intercooler to the metal pipe. not the usual bellow pipe
vectisitch
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby JayPineapples » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:50 pm

I've got a similar problem, the powertrain light comes on when the revs go up and sometimes the van goes into limp mode. The error code indicated that the MAF sensor had failed but the light still comes on with a new one. I'll check out the relevant hoses in the morning.
'06 Connect LWB high roof T230 L90 1753cc TDCi
JayPineapples

Postby Graham Taylor » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:13 pm

JayPineapples wrote:I've got a similar problem, the powertrain light comes on when the revs go up and sometimes the van goes into limp mode. The error code indicated that the MAF sensor had failed but the light still comes on with a new one. I'll check out the relevant hoses in the morning.

Did you clear any error codes?
Graham Taylor
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby JayPineapples » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:51 pm

The garage cleared the codes which indicated MAF failure, I didn't get the codes from him. The current feeling is that the fuel filter might be suspect, trouble is that I need to run the thing. Yesterday when the powertrain light came on it didn't go into limp mode but the test showed the same code as before. I have put the old MAF sensor back in now and will try a new fuel filter next. It's only done 44k so the fuel pump should surely still be reliable?
'06 Connect LWB high roof T230 L90 1753cc TDCi
JayPineapples

Postby vectisitch » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:54 pm

i had turbo underboost code, maf codes and map codes. it was a split hose. check them very carefully. both sides from the turbo to the intercooler. i also had a wooshing sound when i accelerated
vectisitch
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Connect