*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Drive Shaft Support Bearing

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Drive Shaft Support Bearing

Postby theharve01 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:21 pm

hi,
i have been reading the posts about people replacing the RH drive shaft instead of replacing the bearing.

i was looking to just replace my bearing as the one that is on failed the DOE due to it being seized.

i was hoping someone could answer me this, do i need a press to replace the bearing or can it be done with out one.

thanks

1.8tdci connect 08 75ps lwb
theharve01

Re: Drive Shaft Support Bearing

Postby Boghopper » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:19 pm

Yes, this is something I have never seen an answer to. The actual bearing is readily available, although, pretty dear from Ford. No-one seems to do this, instead they just buy Chinese drive-shafts and replace the whole lot. I am thinking of picking up a second hand drive-shaft from ebay and taking a look at it to determine just what's involved with replacing the bearing. I bet a lot of these drive-shafts have another 50,000 miles in them but are chucked because the bearing has gone.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby theharve01 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:54 am

hi,
thanks for the reply, i managed to get a replacement bearing from the local motor factors for €55. but as my bearing was seized i have been told by a mechanic i need to replace the support bearing 2 part casing, there is play in it when you shake it. this has been work due to the seized bearing spinning. waiting on a price back from ford for that.

i think the guy in the workshop next to were i live will replace the bearing for me, he has a press. for a small fee.

i will let you know if he finds it easy to replace or not.

thanks
theharve01

Postby Boghopper » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:35 pm

Yes, £55.00 quid, for a bearing! More expensive than a replacement Chinky driveshaft, and a lot more hassle to put on. You can see why no one bothers. I have, just this minute, ordered a press. Not just for this shaft bearing, but other things as well. I have been wanting one for about five years and it has taken me that long to get the money together; now the world of bearings shall be my oyster. What I am interested in, is whether the bearing has to be driven on the length of the shaft, or whether the shaft can actually be split at the middle joint.

If your bearing was spinning in its housing, that must have been making some din, was it squealing?
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby theharve01 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:05 pm

id love to get a press as well. some day.

i think i read some where that the shaft can be split, but unsure.

i haven't seen a drive shaft out yet.

no there is no noise coming from it or any vibration. but the doe guy says it was seized then a mechanic said he looked at it and it was useless replacing the bearing as it had been spinning in the bearing clamp and bracket. he said that this has caused it to wear so now there is play in it. i ordered the two part clamp from ford it was €59. so hopefully that it all done then. Saturday morning will be when me neighbor is going to replace it for me, so i hope it all goes well.

i havent even looked under me self yet, i might take a look see what they are talking about when i get home today.

also getting the egr valve blanked off on Thursday and new software put on the ecu. or so they say. egr valve is causing limp mode at the moment.
theharve01

Return to Transit Connect