*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

07 Connect R2PA Engine Swap HELP

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

07 Connect R2PA Engine Swap HELP

Postby avis28 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:31 am

Morning All,

I am new to the forum, so this is my first post ....

I am looking at buying a Connect (07 plate) from a friend, the van needs the engine replacing and I am drawing a blank on finding an engine and the ones I can find are a fortune.

As the subject suggests the engine code is R2PA.

I am looking to see if there is any other engines I can use (other than R2PA, I have had a look over the forum and some other pages and I am aware this engine is a euro 4 engine and from what I understand the engines which are compatable are: R7PA/R3PA/R9PA/RWPA - Difference within the heads?.

I understand there are variations in each engine (BHP etc) but I am looking to find out what engines i can use, what variations there may be such as turbo's injectors etc and if I do use a different engine will the existing loom run any other engine code.

As I say I am stuck at this point so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thansk

Dan
avis28
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 07 Connect R2PA Engine Swap HELP

Postby avis28 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:45 pm

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?
avis28
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby avis28 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:18 am

Come on someone must be able to give me some advise here.
avis28
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby g-man » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:51 am

you've already had some.....viewtopic.php?f=54&t=169093#p1436283
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby avis28 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:16 am

Are the injectors/turbo the same accross the 75-115bhp engine?

I presume the block is the same, but I have heard the heads are different on some engines if so I would imagine the injectors may also be different but again that is just hear say so I am looking to get some clarity.

I am not a starnager to engies, but i am new to fords so as you can imagine I am looking to find out what the situation is befor i han dover the bets part of £600 - 800.
avis28
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby paul2012 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:56 pm

avis28 wrote:Are the injectors/turbo the same accross the 75-115bhp engine?

I presume the block is the same, but I have heard the heads are different on some engines if so I would imagine the injectors may also be different but again that is just hear say so I am looking to get some clarity.

I am not a starnager to engies, but i am new to fords so as you can imagine I am looking to find out what the situation is befor i han dover the bets part of £600 - 800.

No

Connects 75ps & 90ps (Euro 4) use the same injectors
Connects 110ps & Focus mk2 115ps / Mondeo mk4 125ps (all Euro 4) use the same injectors - Part number differs with the above.

Fit your original injectors, inlet manifold & turbo to replacement engine.

On 2003-2006 Connects (Euro 3) 75ps TDDI cylinder head is different to 90ps TDCI
These Euro 3 engines are NOT compatible for 2006-2013 Connects :!:
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby billybluesky » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:18 pm

Hi i see youve read my post about alternative engines , Paul was the most helpful on here with the info as i thought initially only the kkpa engine would do but apparently the others mentioned in my post will do as long as you have your original manifolds etc , i think the modeo is out as they`re ideal taxi fodder good luck and as i progress i`ll post more. :(
billybluesky
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby avis28 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:22 am

Thanks for getting back to me everyone.

I got the van home over the weekend and i am extremely pleased with the overall condition, however, the engine bay is looking a bit sorry for itself.

I am in two minds what to do, weither to go down the route of trying ot rebuld the existing engine (pistons/head etc) or go down the route of just replacing the engine all together.

The lad I bought the negine off said he looked inot rebuilding it with a cost of £600 - 700 depending on the condition of the head, however, acfter having the head looked at it seems it is too far gone and a replacement head is needed.

I think I am going to be looking at roughly the same money to rebuild it if not more than what I would be if I replaced the engine.

Does anyone know what the difference are in the heads from the earlier engines? I have a head at my fathers which is from an earlier TDCI engine.

Fingers crossed I can get the time to get the engine out the van at the weekend and have agood look at it.
avis28
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby paul2012 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:54 pm

avis28 wrote:Thanks for getting back to me everyone.

I got the van home over the weekend and i am extremely pleased with the overall condition, however, the engine bay is looking a bit sorry for itself.

I am in two minds what to do, weither to go down the route of trying ot rebuld the existing engine (pistons/head etc) or go down the route of just replacing the engine all together.

The lad I bought the negine off said he looked inot rebuilding it with a cost of £600 - 700 depending on the condition of the head, however, acfter having the head looked at it seems it is too far gone and a replacement head is needed.

I think I am going to be looking at roughly the same money to rebuild it if not more than what I would be if I replaced the engine.

Does anyone know what the difference are in the heads from the earlier engines? I have a head at my fathers which is from an earlier TDCI engine.

Fingers crossed I can get the time to get the engine out the van at the weekend and have agood look at it.

Cylinder heads Fitted to 2003-2006 Connects & Focus mk1 TDCI's. Are Euro 3 with Delphi injectors shown below

delphi.jpg

Your 2007 Connect is Euro 4 with. Siemens injectors, shown below.

siemens.jpg

These are not compatible with earlier TDCI Euro 3 engines.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D

IDS & GM GDS2 services

paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby avis28 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:01 am

Cheers Paul you have been a great help.

So am i correct in saying KKDA is oging to be a direct replacement for me then and just use my pump/injectors/turbo/manifolds etc that way it will just be plug and play essentially?

I am working away so I am hoping to make a start on the van this weekend and get whats left of the engine out of the bay along with the gearbox.

I will get some pictures up of the van at the weekend and the state of the engine let you see what I am working with.
avis28
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby paul2012 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:04 pm

avis28 wrote:Cheers Paul you have been a great help.

So am i correct in saying KKDA is oging to be a direct replacement for me then and just use my pump/injectors/turbo/manifolds etc that way it will just be plug and play essentially?

I am working away so I am hoping to make a start on the van this weekend and get whats left of the engine out of the bay along with the gearbox.

I will get some pictures up of the van at the weekend and the state of the engine let you see what I am working with.

Yes KKDA is a direct replacement. Fit your original injectors, inlet manifold & turbo to it.
No need to change fuel pump. They are the same :wink:
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D

IDS & GM GDS2 services

paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby avis28 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:13 pm

Yeah that's going to be the case swap everything over .... Would the pump not need to be swapped to run with my injectors as they are coded?

Been having a think today, I'm not a stranger from buying salvage been looking at other connects/focus 06-08/09 with the 1.8 tdci.

Do they use the same KKDA code? If not are the engines a possible replacement the same as the KKDA?

Only reason I am going down that route is you can pick up a full car/van for the same or similar money your looking at for a bare or complete engine.

Just trying to weight up my options what's going to be the most cost affective option really.
avis28
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby paul2012 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:31 pm

Injectors & fuel pumps on 2006-2013 Connects. Don't require programming :D

For other Connect engine codes see here :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=139282#p1157117 8)
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D

IDS & GM GDS2 services

paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby avis28 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:11 am

Smashing Paul, I will get sorted and have a good look about and get back to you all let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.
avis28
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby avis28 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:01 am

Got the engine and box out at the weekend.

After having alook at the block and the work that is involved, I am going to buy another engine rather than try and rebuild the current engine.

I am looking to buy a complete engine, plug and play less hassle as possible, I am away for the week again but I will get some pictures over the weekend when I am bach home.
avis28
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Transit Connect