*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Horn not working

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Horn not working

Postby Big Bank » Wed May 18, 2016 6:34 pm

This is my first post, hope I am doing things right.
Transit Connect 90PS 2004 Nov, Turbo DIesel
Amazed this car has not let me down in the four years I have owned it - aside from putting diesel into it from an old cannister - it stopped on the motorway-and all the lights in the dashboard flashed on - was towed to a garage in France - they said I would need to get new fuel pump and perhaps other items - cost 4500€. It still drove so I left that garage thanking them for their kindness and paying 20€ for their great suggestions, driving ever so slowly over the miles and eventually increasing my speed. I managed to travel another 500 km. At the (very trusted and honest recommended by a serious scientist friend in Germany) garage in Germany they said the same thing - would cost maybe 5000€. So asked the neighbour upstairs who is designing a new electric bike - he said - check the diesel filter - what do you know - changed this and for 50€ I had the car working again - moral - consider who you ask and don't believe that garages always want to help you for the cheapest price possible. It just may be that they want to take a much money from you as they can without physically assaulting you.

To the present problem - the horn. It didn't work - so I pushed the "button" on the steering wheel - probably too hard - who can tell? Anyway, I took off all the plastic covering around the front left (European car) wheel - to find that I only needed to take off the small triangular plastic cover in front of that, in order to access the horn. OK changed the horns - the first was in fact dead and the second works - tested directly on a battery and it was very loud. Therefore I imagine as it is not the fuse (under the bonnet) it sadly may be in the steering column. Is there a way to localise the problem - it sounds as if the steering column switch is at fault, then I have to remove the air bag and to do that I first have to disconnect the battery, and then the radio may no longer work. So I have to make ten contributions to the forum so that I can get a secret number to get that working again. In addition if I do that exactly at noon then my clock may be reset to the correct time, since the little pencil buttons for setting the clock do not function, and taking the power supply away would be one way of getting the clock at least to be just 12 hours wrong, I could live with that.

So to fix the horn I have to take the car apart? Just leave the engine but take the rest off the chassis?

I have a camera and can take a picture. I also have a torch. So I can light up whatever my eyes can see and take a picture. Hence - someone else can do this. In fact perhaps someone else has done this. So instead of long poorly worded descriptions it would be great just to take a picture or ten and post the contents. A finger pointing here or there would also remove the need for using complicated graphic programmes to point to the part in question.

This horn has not been working for a few weeks, but I can live with that (since I just don't use the car!) but as my final aim is to be able to park the car in the driveway and watch the weeds grow up around it for only 350€ a year, instead of the present 1000€ a year, I need to export the car to France. In France they don't charge tax and the insurance is half of what is charged in Germany (proving that letting people drive around at 300kph may in fact cause more accidents and thus raise the cost to us all for insurance).

I am trying my best to be a European but after attempting this find that in fact "authorities" do NOT wish the citizens to be living in several places as this makes their life difficult. So I have to pretend to be "loving living in France" for as long as my nerves can hold out, as in order to be able to import the car, I need besides the 7 or 12 documents including water bill, tax bill and birth certificate etc, I also need a CoC. I have been happy with my Coc so far but now know that what the "technical inspector" in France wants to see is a document of certification of homolugation (claiming that the car is a car) CoC, certificate of certification. Yes, life is easy if we just let weeds grow around the car and walk to the shops but at some time I just feel the need to move on. Perhaps someone can help first of all with the horn - then I will be legal!

Thanks to all who answer, I will sit and wait patiently - I have been waiting for the Ford people for over a week to respond to me letting me know that they DO want the 150€ for the sheet of paper (CoC) which they could easily post to me so that all that is standing between me and saving 650-150€ a year is the horn ;-)

The Big Bank
2016 May 18 19:33 Central European Time.
Big Bank
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Horn not working

Postby Graham Taylor » Thu May 19, 2016 8:48 am

Nice post and to see you havnt lost your sense of humour..... or have you? :-)

Yes you need to flick the airbag off to access the horn switch and does sound like thats where the problem lay .... unless there is a break in the wiring loom elsewhere.

Fuel filter issue are common and I have learnt Connects do not generally like cheap filters. With any fuel issues checking the filter should be near the top ...... unless its not fuel related.

Garages often want to blame pump or injectors as both are prone to fail at some stage so always try and get the codes read before forking out a wad of cash...... well done to you for not accepting their advice.

Four years trouble free except for a fuel filter and a horn is not bad going.

French and Germans? I blame the EU for not sorting out motoring issues same they have for currency, immigration and butter :-)
Graham Taylor
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Big Bank » Thu May 19, 2016 1:49 pm

Up early man Graham!
Thanks for your reply - I must check somewhere to get a mail to let me know someone has commented - just done it! No I haven't lost my sense of humour - the only thing worth keeping that I have ;-)
So "flick the airbag off" is with the left hand or should I search on the forum for "flicking airbag off" rather than "repairing horn switch"? I think it will be involved if I don't get some good hints. Trying to find a breakage in a wiring loom is not the nicest way to spend an afternoon, evening and eventually whole weekend. No plans at present but it would be great to get into the car with the feeling that everything was working right.
I did get a positive response from Ford in France - an actual human response, and he did say "Don't hesitate to contact us for further details" and in the Ford handbook "We are not satisfied until you are satisfied" which if true is great, in fact satisfaction is all I need, but sadly strive for perfection too much.
And then I expect it from others which is a grave mistake, since who am I to ask something of others? :roll:
I like these smilies - (smilies - noted as incorrect with a red underline - yet written to the right of this box with the same spelling) and will have to learn their meanings :|

The CoC would cost just the small sum of Euros 170. I had the same desire with a Zorro Car (is that Opel?) and they let me send money and then wrote back to say they searched and it was not there but kept the money as they searched (so actually producing a usable item was for them not relevant).

What do you mean by "always try and get the codes read"?

Blame the EU? Problem is where ARE they? Who are they? Anonymous?

And four years is correct but there was a day when I was meant to drive a Japanese visitor to the airport and can you believe it rained - and a windscreen wiper simply came off the motor! It took a day to find someone with the special tool to put it back on again, meanwhile the flight left and she hasn't come back. Everything you move has consequences, forever.

So we try to get things right - the first time.

Cheers

Big Bank

2016 May 19 14:49 Central European Time.
Big Bank
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Piglet » Thu May 19, 2016 2:16 pm

Big Bank wrote:
Therefore I imagine as it is not the fuse (under the bonnet)

Did he mention the glove box fuse?
Piglet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Big Bank » Thu May 19, 2016 2:18 pm

Hi Piglet,

I didn't see any fuses marked for the horn in the glove box. You think one of these could be relevant - that would be very very good news!

Big Bank

2016 May 19 15:18 Central European Time.
Big Bank
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Piglet » Thu May 19, 2016 2:28 pm

Digging around in old threads:

Horn is F136 15A

My books at home so can't check.
Piglet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Graham Taylor » Thu May 19, 2016 3:13 pm

Piglet wrote:Digging around in old threads:

Horn is F136 15A

My books at home so can't check.

My book (not always correct) says horn isF21 behind the battery.

Also R33 Horn relay .... worth a check ;-)
Graham Taylor
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Big Bank » Thu May 19, 2016 6:36 pm

Big Bank wrote:Hi Piglet,

I didn't see any fuses marked for the horn in the glove box. You think one of these could be relevant - that would be very very good news!

Big Bank

2016 May 19 15:18 Central European Time.

Graham =- There is no F136 15A in this car
Piglet =- There is no F21 behind the battery

I can send you all photos as this is documented -

Big Bank

2016 May 19 19:35 Central European Time.
Big Bank
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Piglet » Fri May 20, 2016 12:07 am

Haynes says:
Battery fusebox Fuse F21, Relay R33 No mention of passenger fusebox.

Put a volt meter on the horn connections and get someone to press the horn. Then check in the relay socket.
Piglet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby pushrod » Fri May 20, 2016 11:33 am

Hi, Big Bank.
What I've done in the past, after some desperation, is to just wire the horn ( through a fuse ) direct to a push button switch on the dashboard. Seems to be legal, and I've gone through MOTs with no comment from the tester.
Much easier than taking airbags out - and you'll be able to find the fuse easily... :D
pushrod
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Piglet » Fri May 20, 2016 12:24 pm

you would get on with my lad.
He's got a Seat Arosa roller skate with a massive truck air horn squeezed under the slam panel and a flip-up nuclear launch button on the dash.

course I never did anything so stupid :oops:
Piglet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Big Bank » Fri May 20, 2016 2:04 pm

Also an alternative I had thought of Pushrod, your:"wire the horn ( through a fuse ) direct to a push button switch on the dashboard" is certainly on my mind but I don't know how the locals are here - it is going to have to go through the Drire which is nothing like the Spanish Inquisition as they didn't do too many electrical solutions, but anything outside the "norm" may result in getting the import refused. In Germany the rule is that if it exists in the car then it has to work - if not remove it. But I suppose an unsightly wire with tape round a switch would work - a fuse can be placed along the cable.
I was impressed with the potential of this vehicle especially with the two sliding doors - I am sure there must be some amazing special conversions regarding workshop, sleeping and whatever else. The points for attaching are all already in place, but like any car in the world there are not two single surfaces which meet at 90˚, but have that "Special styling" which inhibits any quick smart solutions but can only be achieved by dedicated Ford fanatics.
Big Bank
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Big Bank » Fri May 20, 2016 2:15 pm

Piglet says:Relay R33
But there is no relay 33 in the box behind the battery.

Can any one say which relay this would be? I don't see why there should be a replay on a horn. It is either on or off and nothing between.
Big Bank
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Big Bank » Fri May 20, 2016 2:21 pm

Of course - get someone to push the horn - it is easier to find a Rolling Stones concert ticket than "someone" in this neck of the woods. Last time I saw a person on the road here was over a week ago. Lonely and out of luck? At least some people get bad luck, I don't get any at all. :|
Big Bank
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Piglet » Fri May 20, 2016 2:51 pm

Piglet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Transit Connect