*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

110hp Turbo

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

110hp Turbo

Postby nokivasara » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:53 pm

I need a new turbo but they are bloody expensive, must be full of gold inside.
Thinking of getting a used one but don't know if that's just too risky, how long do the VNT turbos last?
Older wg turbos last forever, but I don't know about the VNT.

What's the part nr on the OEM 110hp turbo, is it used in Focus/mondeos as well?
Transit Connect TDCI 110
nokivasara
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: 110hp Turbo

Postby g-man » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:11 pm

whatever u get,renew the oil intake pipe,prime the turbo with clean oil and change the oil.......same turbo in all 3 but different numbers,check it yourself but one i got was 7G9Q-6K682-BD
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby nokivasara » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:48 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the oil pipe. Is there a new, better, version or do they get clogged over time or what?
Transit Connect TDCI 110
nokivasara
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby kjb » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:50 pm

http://www.btnturbo.com/parts/model/for ... _5850.aspx
I use this company, cheapest I've found,next day delivery
kjb
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby nokivasara » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:34 pm

So I've read up on the oil feed pipe issue, there's a risk that some of the carbon/oil residue build up breaks off from the pipe when it's loosened from the turbo. That could then end up in the new turbo and ruin it.
Then there's apparently a strainer or a filter inside the banjo bolt on the oil cooler end of the pipe and that could get clogged over time.

That is pretty interesting since my van has made a high pitch squeal when cold for a long time and I can't find the cause of that, a few days ago I decided it has to be the turbo although it has no play, boosts fine and checks out ok.
As soon as the engine is warm I can do WOT bursts with no squealing so maybe the turbo doesn't get enough oil when it's cold.
Now that I know about the banjo screen I want to check it so I went under the van and noticed that they sure have put the oil feed line in a tight spot, had to use a mirror to find it.
Tried to remove the cat to gain access but couldn't get to all three nuts so I gave up, will have to make a 13mm crows foot to get to that last nut.

To be continued, I'll probably end up needing a new turbo but what if all I need is a new banjo :shock:

All this really pisses me off, I have my eyes on a 2010 TC sports van but can't sell my squealing pig for change right now...
Transit Connect TDCI 110
nokivasara
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby g-man » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:20 pm

take the ex manifold/turbo off,then check........could clean the inlet and blank egr at same time
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby avis28 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:12 am

Hi,

I have rescently carried out an engine swap on my connect.

I have a turbo taken from a 56 plate 115 for sale if you are interested.

Not sure if they are the same or not.

Thanks
avis28
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby nokivasara » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:12 pm

I don't know if that's the same turbo?

I made a crowsfoot tool to get the cat out and it went fairly well, broke off the bolt for the engine block/cat mount and had to take the whole down pipe out with that bracket attached, it was tight but doable.
Anyway, didn't find anything wrong other than a trail of soot around the VNT-lever, I bet the noise comes from there.
Ran the van with the down pipe off to make sure it wasn't a clogged cat causing my squeal, amazing how silent it was, the turbos are pretty effective silencers! But the squeal was still there.

Not sure what I'll do next, turbos are expensive and mine seems to be ok other than that leak. Unless the sound comes from the bushing, caused by oil starvation, but I can't check that... :roll:

Edit: Or maybe it is the exhaust manifold or its gasket as I thought earlier, but the Eberspacher makes it hard to even see the nuts so I'm not too eager to remove it just to find out it was ok.
Transit Connect TDCI 110
nokivasara
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby g-man » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:12 pm

put a vid on so we can here it....might help
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby nokivasara » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:14 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKxyaMwm8sc

That sound is pretty close to mine, but a lot worse. I can't make it sound that much even during a WOT burst in 2nd or 3rd gear but maybe that's where I'm heading :mrgreen:
Transit Connect TDCI 110
nokivasara
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby nokivasara » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:13 pm

I just may have found the cause of the squeal, there is soot around the VNT actuator arm, where it enters the turbo housing.

Is there a bushing in there?
Transit Connect TDCI 110
nokivasara
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Connect