*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

1.8 TDCi 53 Plate Delphi injectors

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

1.8 TDCi 53 Plate Delphi injectors

Postby Westieboy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:29 pm

Here we go again.
It's 4½ years since I last went through this performance. Warning light on, usually at around 70 when engine warm -> limp mode key off and back on -> running normal only to repeat a few miles later. Injectors and pump serviced that time.
I strongly suspect the same thing this time around as those injectors have done 60k which seems to be the life-span of the Delphi injector.
I cannot remember the codes from last time but pretty certain they were as now ie: P0251 and P1211.
My next step is a leak-off test. Just to confirm my suspicion and ascertain whether it's all 4 injectors. Should it be only one (ha! I should be so lucky!) then I might just replace that unit.
So... Here's question 1/. Is there any mechanical - ie engine damage - reason why all 4 have to be replaced - at around £120 for a serviced unit £480 is not a sum I have handy at the moment.

Question 2/. do I need to worry about the pump? As I say above; it has done 60K (miles!) since last overhauled. (OK answer does partly depend on quality of the fuel I have put through the engine).

Question 3/. Who is the man of the hour for replacement Delphi's? Many fingers point to Dieselboy. From what I can make out all those fingers are on hands with thumbs pointing up but I also notice he appears not to have frequented these here pages since march this year.
Question 4/. Not entirely related to this topic. Can someone please confirm the recommended cambelt interval on this engine. I recall phoning Ford technical some time back and being told 160K - True/False

Thank you
Westieboy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: 1.8 TDCi 53 Plate Delphi injectors

Postby liteace » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:57 am

1/. Is there any mechanical - ie engine damage - reason why all 4 have to be replaced - at around £120 for a serviced unit £480 is not a sum I have handy at the moment.

If only one injector is faulty you dont have o change ALL 4 but if ones gone they could be all on their way out !

2/. do I need to worry about the pump? As I say above; it has done 60K (miles!) since last overhauled. (OK answer does partly depend on quality of the fuel I have put through the engine).

If the pump is getting up to and holding pressure then, at only 60k it should be ok, as you said, it depends on quality of fuel and quality of fuel filter

3/. Who is the man of the hour for replacement Delphi's? Many fingers point to Dieselboy. From what I can make out all those fingers are on hands with thumbs pointing up but I also notice he appears not to have frequented these here pages since march this year.

Dieselboy has changed jobs and not doing injectors anymore

Question 4/. Not entirely related to this topic. Can someone please confirm the recommended cambelt interval on this engine. I recall phoning Ford technical some time back and being told 160K - True/False

I think its 150k or 10 years but i'd change it every 100k just to be safe
Please don't send me PM's, i can't access them, when I try I get this:

You are not authorised to send private messages
liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby karl » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:54 pm

has he

i had injector of him 6 months ago ?
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby Westieboy » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:06 pm

Thanks for the answers.

Looks like I ought to shell out on a new cam-belt too - oooh the pain!

3/. Who is the man of the hour for replacement Delphi's? Many fingers point to Dieselboy. From what I can make out all those fingers are on hands with thumbs pointing up but I also notice he appears not to have frequented these here pages since march this year.

Are there any recommendations now that dieselboy has left the room? (has he??) I think it's about 6 months since he was last active on here.
There's a dude called dieselbob 'up north' who was recommended to me last time I played this game (Watson Diesel in Wimbledon told me he was OK but ended up fixing the injectors with recourse to an outside source)

Thanks again
Westieboy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Graham Taylor » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:46 pm

karl wrote:Dieselboy has changed jobs and not doing injectors anymore

has he

i had injector of him 6 months ago ?

Yes sadly quite recently, started his own valeting business.
Graham Taylor
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby g-man » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:26 am

shame that.......he was a top man and helped out many with probs at a good price :D
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Westieboy » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:57 am

Are we lucky enough to know of someone else who can be recommended as a supplier/rebuilder of Delphi (and other) injectors
Westieboy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby surfjunkey » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:08 pm

While I can't help with injectors sadly....
It has been quoted here for timing belt @ 150k ,,replace @ 100k
I would confirm that.
Replaced mine @ 90k - pretty straightforward & cheap / easy enough to do.
surfjunkey
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Transit Connect