*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

leaky fuel return rail

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

leaky fuel return rail

Postby quicksilver » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:48 pm

Hi All, Mot advised slight leak on plastic fuel return rail near no 1 injector which I understand returns fuel to the tank. Replacement is over £100 from ford. What are the implications of a slight leak apart from the obvious bit of diesel on the block, secondly anyone sourced a cheaper fix and lastly Im thinking of adding a plug and play "chip " box for a bit more torque and economy, got one on my x trail and its transformed the car, wondering if increased fuel rail pressure will affect the return pipes?
Thanks in advance. D.
quicksilver
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: leaky fuel return rail

Postby Frag » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:34 pm

You don't need to change the return pipe itself (unless you break it)
The O ring / seals are available seperate,advise changing the spring retaining clips too.
I'd do all 4 while your at it.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby stewface » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:54 pm

I also had a leak on injector return pipe, you can buy the little O ring seal from Ford. No need to buy the complete rail. Mine was pipe was loose in the injector, it appears the spring loaded clip that holds the pipe into the injector has lost it "spring loadedness", so wasn't holding the pipe snug enough. It was only a couple of quid for the O ring and clip, from Ford dealer and took about 20 mins to fit, but it was a bit fiddly, especially when I dropped the little clip......... but found it straight away on the floor under the engine, lucky.
Some say replace all 4 seals and clips, I only replaced the leaking one, and 12 months down the line the other 3 are all fine, Touch Wood!
stewface
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby quicksilver » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:39 am

Thanks for your advice guys I will try and source the "O" rings and clips, my clips are missing and held in by cable ties as pointed out by a mate last night!
Will report back, Cheers.
quicksilver
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Transit Connect