*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Clutch pedal no pressure or return

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Clutch pedal no pressure or return

Postby seagul2k » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:25 am

Hi,

Connect 2005 LWB
When you bleed the clutch after new install is it normal for the clutch pedal to not return from the floor and have no pressure? I cannot bleed the clutch as the pedal has no pressure and does not want to build pressure when pumping it up and down with your hand. Is this because i need to reverse bleed the clutch from the slave cylinder nipple with a pressurized bleed kit?
:cry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzJUWfbx-T0
seagul2k
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Clutch pedal no pressure or return

Postby knobby1 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:11 am

seagul2k wrote:Hi,

Connect 2005 LWB
When you bleed the clutch after new install is it normal for the clutch pedal to not return from the floor and have no pressure? I cannot bleed the clutch as the pedal has no pressure and does not want to build pressure when pumping it up and down with your hand. Is this because i need to reverse bleed the clutch from the slave cylinder nipple with a pressurized bleed kit?

Easiest way to "back-bleed" the clutch is to connect a tube from left front brake caliper bleed nipple to clutch slave bleed nipple, crack both bleed nipples and "slowly" pump the brake pedal...this will force the fluid, and any air up to the reservoir..! Just remember to keep an eye on the fluid level and you should be good to go..

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby seagul2k » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:24 am

Cheers Knobby, I will give this a try tomorrow and report back with the results. 8)
seagul2k
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby dvaltd » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:39 am

How did you get on with bleeding the clutch as I'm in the process of getting my clutch done with new slave and front discs and pads also wanted to change the brake fluid whilst I'm there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's only nuts and bolts if you don't get oil on your hands your doing something wrong
dvaltd
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby seagul2k » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:34 pm

Afternoon,

I haven't started working on the van yet today, I do not have a tube long enough to be able to perform the back bleeding procedure explained to me by Knobby. However, I do have one of them ezebleed things that run from the pressure in your spare tyre arriving later today so I am pretty much stalled until then.
I didn't sleep very well last night, was up all night worrying whether my new slave cylinder might be bummed or whether I messed something up putting it all back together haha. Can't really tell until the right bits arrive for me to continue. :|

Vans back on its wheels now, literally this is the only problem holding me back from driving the van again, job interview tomorrow so may have to resort to taking the bus :evil: LOL!
seagul2k
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby seagul2k » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:09 pm

I took a walk down to the garage and asked to borrow a length of bleed pipe that I could use to try knobbys technique. I returned home successfully with a piece of pipe with the correct length to go from left hand brake caliper bleed nipple to clutch slave cylinder nipple. As the weather was really bad today I found myself laying down in a puddle underneath the van where eventually I managed to connect both ends together.. I cannot say if this method works, (although I am sure it does) as the pipe kept popping off each time i went to depress the clutch. The combination of a wet ass and cat s**t all over the drive really didn't give me any real motivation.
However, shortly after my gunson eezibleed arrived by courier. I arranged it all for a back bleed attempt pressurizing the slave cylinder bleed nipple to no avail, but I cannot remember if the clutch pedal was up or down at this point, if it was down the circuit would have been blocked.
Having not thought about this, I decided to actually read the instructions in the manual for the gunson kit and placed the pressure this time in the fluid reseviour (excuse spelling). I started getting pressure in the clutch!
But this pressure did not last upon working the clutch and I think this is down to a leak in the system at the rubber input nipple to the slave cylinder, the metal clip securing this pipe into the bellhousing also appears to be quite loose and easy to remove.
With brake fluid all over the drive and the rain smashing my bald patch, I gave up with some success and will try again without the rain tomorrow (here's hoping) allowing easier diagnoses of leaks and repair.
I don't want to have the leak fixed in a hurry because of the weather, drive down the road and it spring a leak again. That would be a bad day indeed.

I will post again tomorrow with any updates.
seagul2k
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ned » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:03 pm

Can you not cable tie the pipe to each nipple to back bleed the system as his lordship recommend, just a thought. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bambi mk 1 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:40 pm

seagul2k wrote:I took a walk down to the garage and asked to borrow a length of bleed pipe that I could use to try knobbys technique. I returned home successfully with a piece of pipe with the correct length to go from left hand brake caliper bleed nipple to clutch slave cylinder nipple. As the weather was really bad today I found myself laying down in a puddle underneath the van where eventually I managed to connect both ends together.. I cannot say if this method works, (although I am sure it does) as the pipe kept popping off each time i went to depress the clutch.
Its the brake pedal you pump :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:24 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:Its the brake pedal you pump :wink:

+1...Yep..."brake" pedal, "Slowly"...to avoid popping the tube. You'll find it difficult, if not impossible to pump fluid backwards through to the brake master cyl....also needs to go backwards through the ABS system (if fitted), I don't think this is possible.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby seagul2k » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:10 am

That was a typo in my previous post. I was in fact referring to the brake pedal, only for some reason I used the word clutch! :oops:
Thanks for advice about cable ties, will use this if I should need too tomorrow. :) Or should I say later on today...
seagul2k
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

SOLVED

Postby seagul2k » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:22 pm

SOLVED!

It turns out, (after discovering that my input nipple to the slave cylinder was leaking) there is a seal. This seal, (a type of thick o ring) was still housed in the old slave cylinder that i had removed to make way for the new one. Upon looking inside the old slave cylinder there is an o ring inside, it is very difficult to make out, looks like its all one unit, but it isn't. this rubber o ring is more like a very small rubber pipe that sleeves over the very end of the slave clutch hydraulic pipe nipple that is pushed and clips into the bellhousing.
It was the absence of this seal that was not allowing for pressure in the clutch system and in turn the pedal etc. As without this o ring seal it will leak/drip the fluid and allow in air.

I was lucky I still had the old slave cyclinder to find this o ring still inside, although was s***ting myself when i thought it wasn't in there because it looks like it is not. It stays seated inside the hole more often than not on your old slave cylinder, and looks as if it is "made into" the slave cyclinder. It is not, I used a very small flat head screwdriver to pry it out from the hole it was seated in and BANG! I fitted it to the nipple, boshed it into the new slave cylinder fitted in bellhousing, plopped the clip in and result! The clutch pedal immediately worked upon bleeding.

Now the garage never told me this yesterday when i went for that pipe to try out Lord Knobrots technique into bleeding the system, even after a conversation with them about a leak in the hydraulic line into bellhousing. They even said "it was difficult for some people to try and refit that nipple into the slave cylinder... then the other chap said "yes.. maybe have to use rubber sealant". I know what they were talking about now. They were referring to the seal, that not many people know about.

Also this seal may not always be left behind in the old slave cylinder, it may pull out with the nipple or fall to the ground upon pulling the nipple away from the original slave cylinder in the bellhousing. So be careful and keep a watchful eye out for it on the end of the nipple or in case it falls out. Otherwise if none of these two things occure, then its still seated & sealed in the original slave cylinder.

ok hopes this helps as I know it will happen to many others also attempting to remove and replace transmission for the first time.

:D
seagul2k
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby _matt » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:05 pm

knobby1 wrote:

Connect 2005 LWB

Easiest way to "back-bleed" the clutch is to connect a tube from left front brake caliper bleed nipple to clutch slave bleed nipple, crack both bleed nipples and "slowly" pump the brake pedal...this will force the fluid, and any air up to the reservoir..! Just remember to keep an eye on the fluid level and you should be good to go..

Lord Knobrot

I replaced the master cylinder and have no presser, tried gunson easybleed and nothing came out of the bleed nipple with fluid in the easybleed bottle, also tried without fluid in there and still nothing (viewtopic.php?f=54&t=185231)

can i bleed the clutch using the above method?
_matt
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:31 am

_matt wrote:
knobby1 wrote:

Connect 2005 LWB

Lord Knobrot

I replaced the master cylinder and have no presser, tried gunson easybleed and nothing came out of the bleed nipple with fluid in the easybleed bottle, also tried without fluid in there and still nothing (viewtopic.php?f=54&t=185231)

can i bleed the clutch using the above method?
Maybe a stupid question but did you have a pedal before changing master cylinder?
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby scruf0_5 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:40 pm

i had the same problem at christmas when i fitted a new clutch to my connect
someone told me about back bleeding which i was very sceptical about but i gave it a go
reallly easy to do get a cheap pump bottle type that you pump up pressure then release with trigger (no the trigger spray type!!!)
1 put fluid in the bottle and pump it up
2 connect bleed pipe to the end (this may need to be fabricated best you can)
3 attatch to clutch bleed nipple then looosen the nipple
4 simply push fluid back into the systemthen tighten nipple
check clutch peddle
repeat if needed
honestly takes longer to pump the bottle up than to fill system
scruf0_5

Return to Transit Connect