*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Turbo Grinding noise? Tgggrrrrrr noise

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Turbo Grinding noise? Tgggrrrrrr noise

Postby JumpingJacks » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:58 pm

Hi everyone,

I have no experience with turbos so I'm hoping someone will be able to advise me with my problem as I have no idea :( I have what sounds like either a grinding noise or a tin like exhaust blow (aggressive) coming from under the bonnet which starts around 1800rpm. and goes around 2500rpm. I've looked at EGR pipe and that seems ok (no splits). I've had a look around inlet manifold etc and all I can see soot wise is a bit on soot on top of turbo. I've removed air intake pipe and felt the centre shaft and this seems firm.

Looking at the photos I took I'm wondering if the impeller look ok to the trained eye? Does anyone think from looking at the photos that maybe the blades are hitting the sides when the turbos boosting as I'm not sure if it looks a bit scored in there around the outside.

Any advise is greatly appreciated

Here's some pics I took today
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Transit Connect 2010 TDCI SWB T200 75
50,000 miles
EGR Blank and Delete
K&N Pannel filter
VanTuner Remap :D
Focus Air Box and Snorkel (awaiting fitting)
JumpingJacks
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Turbo Grinding noise? Tgggrrrrrr noise

Postby g-man » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:10 pm

sounds like clutch springs.......have a look on here for 'gearbox thrash' using the search
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby JumpingJacks » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:03 pm

I was hoping not to hear that as I just had a new clutch fiited and apparently he used a good on not a cheap one but you never no I guess. I've just had a look in my intercooler and intercooler hoses and it looks like I've got small shavings of metal in there. Chasing the inter cooler pipes back there's only the turbo that they could be coming from?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
50,000 miles
EGR Blank and Delete
K&N Pannel filter
JumpingJacks
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby g-man » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:27 pm

is there any play in the turbo shaft?
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby JumpingJacks » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:23 pm

Thought I should update on this. Sorry g-man, thank you for replying to my post. I didn't find any play on the turbo shaft and I've been living with this since my last post on this.

I have however just fitted a new bolt to the lower gearbox mounting, the one which secures the mount to the subframe and it appears the noise has gone and the van feels much better to drive. I'm suspecting the bolt was slightly loose which was causing all my problems.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed but this new bolt seems to have done the trick
50,000 miles
EGR Blank and Delete
K&N Pannel filter
JumpingJacks
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Connect