*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Project Connect

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Re: Project Connect

Postby mk2dk » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:17 pm

Update :D
Here we go . . .
Finally got a used crankshaft, in very good condition. Started assembly and it's beginning to look like an engine again. Really struggled to get the correct parts for it, piston rings, gaskets etc. Borrowed a grinding machine at work and grinded the gasket surface on the head, just to make sure it'll seal properly. Measured piston above deck height to make sure I had the correct head gasket. Head gasket in these engines is a multi-layer steel type, just like the ones used by the Toyota Supra boys :wink: available in different thicknesses with 0.05 mm between each.
New chain kit and timing belt is in, and luckily the engine turns nice without any strange noises
That's all for now.
mk2dk
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby tez » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:53 am

very nice keep us updated with this please
tez
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mrtn » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:05 am

You're having fun! Seem to be qualified for the job.
1.6 Ecoboost A/T LWB '16
mrtn
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mk2dk » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:38 pm

Update :)
Engine's almost ready, only waiting for a new clutch, which hopefully arrives this week. Made a couple of blanking plates to shut off the EGR system.
While waiting for the clutch to arrive, I've started to clean up the engine bay. Everything was covered in oil and dust, luckily under that stuff it looks quite nice. read a thread on this forun regarding headlights, and decided to give it a try. Only problem being . . . now I have to do the other one too :(

mk2dk
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mrtn » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:25 am

:shock:
1.6 Ecoboost A/T LWB '16
mrtn
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby tez » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:06 am

very nice
tez
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Graham Taylor » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:02 pm

Black headlights look good :D

IMG_1321.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Graham Taylor
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby mk2dk » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:51 pm

Update on my Connect project :)
Engine's assembled and back into the engine bay. While I waited for a new clutch to arrive, I've changed all brake lines on the van. Corroded brake lines are a very big issue at the moment at the Danish MOT stations. It wasn't the easiest job, as the lines for the rear wheels run behind the aux heater, between front crossmember/chassis and over the fuel tank. Used 12 meters of copper brake line :oops:
Some of the vacuum hoses fitted to the valves along the bulkhead were disconnected as the engine was hanging in the crane , to make it come clear. Perhaps that was done a bit to fast, as I'm struggeling to remember their correct fitment. In the Haynes manual, the engine shown isn't the same as mine, no help there :(

Is it possible someone would take a couple of photos of their hoses or perhaps can tell where they are supposed to fit ? (pic 4+5+6+7+8)
I have a little plastic container, normally fitted next to the air filter box, could be a gearbox breather, but no hose was connected to it ? (pic 3)

mk2dk
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mk2dk » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:08 pm

Hi.
I've found some photos on the web, showing the hose connections. The one that confused me the most, is going to the air box lid :D
mk2dk
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mk2dk » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:12 pm

Hi.
Update on my project :D
After re-fitting everything to the engine, I was finally ready to turn the ignition key . . . . It turned over but nothing else happened :( Had a hard time bleeding the fuel system, but finally succeded, and the engine started. Oil pressure, charging was ok, no leaks either, but it was hard to start and idled rough. Unfortuanietely it only ran on 3 cylindrs, and the one missing was no 4 which happened to be the one that was damaged when I bought the car. After a lot of troubleshooting I suspected a faulty injector to cause the problems. Pulled injector no 4 and took it apart. Cleaned the nozzle and internals in an ultrasonic washer and assembled it. Put it back into the engine and turned the key . . . . :D :D :D Succes, engine starts and idles fine, it's a 4 cyl again. Happy days . .
Next is brake system.
mk2dk
mk2dk
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby KempieConnect » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:27 pm

:D Happy Days :D
KempieConnect
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mk2dk » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:43 pm

Hi.
I'm back on the Connect project after a very long break :)
It has been quite a roller coaster ride so far. After the engine repair, I hoped for better surprises in this little van, but deer good, things got worse. And that's when you start thinking, is this van worth the effort, I probbably should have left the van sitting under that tree, at the dealer, in the first place :( but here we go :D
Brakes hmmmmm . . . . . . 4 new rotors/pads.
Sills hmmmmm . . . . . . If you look under the car, a complete new sill is on the floor LH+RH :(
More updates to come.
mk2dk
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby JayKay3000 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:05 pm

Humm. Now you have a good engine and brake lines maybe try and find a non-runner with a decent body?

Enjoying build log. I hope you make it, connects are good little vans that drive like cars with fairly good fuel mileage for their size.
JayKay3000
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mk2dk » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:55 am

Made a new panel to fit where the lower sliding door guide wheel sits, when the door is closed. Bought an old bead roller years ago, it was perfekt for making the pocket. A couple of before/after pics, forgot to make a photo when the job was done and the new sill fitted.
Next job is painting :)
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
mk2dk
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mk2dk » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:55 am

Hi
Finished the rust repairs. A bit funny though, all Danish Connects I've seen, have a sliding door on the RH side, but the only sill repair panel available, is for a model without sliding door either side. That makes it a very poor fit and lot of cutting/bending is needed to make it fit at the lower door slide.
Next job is paint repairs. Wanted to give it a try myself, due to labor cost and because the house we live in used to be a paint shop and still has the spray booth :D Wanted to paint the repaired areas, door handles, locks, wheel arches, bumpers, corners, front gitter, rear door and sliding door. It turned out to be a much bigger job than expected and I fully understand why car painting is expensive :oops: The masking looks awfull, but so be it.
Color is Moondust Silver
Here we go . . .

ImageImage
mk2dk
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Connect