*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2013 headlights, dash, and instrument panel problems

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

2013 headlights, dash, and instrument panel problems

Postby Leo455 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:39 pm

I have 2013 Transit connect. While driving the headlights will dim, dash lights flicker, gauges go wild, all of the warning lights come on and the radio will go off. I need some suggestions
Leo455

Re: 2013 headlights, dash, and instrument panel problems

Postby mrtn » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:18 pm

Old or new model?
1.6 Ecoboost A/T LWB '16
mrtn
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Leo455 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:04 pm

new
Leo455

Postby DarrellJ » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:05 pm

I may be having a similar problem with my 2012 Transit Connect xlt.

The dash warning lights flicker on and off. There is also a clicking noise. I don't play the radio that often so don't know if it turns off or not if on. However, my Garmin will usually pop up a box saying power has been turned off on it. However, once the clicking/flashing stops (anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds) then Garmin no longer complains.

I had the exact same thing happen about 6 months ago. I had the battery tested and was told it was bad. I replaced it and all these issues went way. However, they started back up this week. I charged the battery and they seemed to go away again for a couple days... though I didn't do much driving. When they came back I took it to have the battery/alternator tested. They checked out as being in good condition this time. So, I have no clue what is causing it this time. Any suggestions?

At this point my best assumption is that it is actually the same/similar issue as before. Only maybe it is the alternator. Is it possible that an alternator might show up as being fine during a battery type test but actually not be fine? Like maybe it is going in and out and just happened to be working when they tested? It was one of those free tests you get at an auto parts store... so it isn't like it was insanely detailed in nature. Any suggestions?
DarrellJ

Postby DarrellJ » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:39 pm

I think I solved the problem. I am pretty positive that it is/was the AUX setting on the radio. Yes, you heard that right.

I was looking at all the fuses that had anything remotely to do with the console. While doing that I noticed that the radio and instrument cluster itself were on the same exact fuse. Fuse 137 btw for my vehicle.

The second I seen that it suddenly dawned on me where the problem probably was. I very seldom use the AUX port unless I'm on a road trip. However, earlier that day I had tested out a CB via the AUX port. And sure enough, when I turned on the vehicle and looked, the radio was still set to AUX. Like I said, I don't listen to the radio that often...lol. I switched it back to normal radio mode and I've not seen the flashing and clicking since.

Btw, several months back when this issue first popped up, I had been on a road trip and was using the AUX port. So, the device I was connecting must have glitched or something. Or it was just the radio messing up on it's own. Anyway, I remember the guy that tested the battery asked me to turn everything in the van on in order to see the effect on the battery. This included me turning on everything from the AC to... yep, the radio. Which I switched to normal radio mode at that point. So, while the battery did need to be replaced, it wasn't what "fixed" the issue... it was me turning off the AUX.

I still need to turn the AUX back on... maybe put a device to it... in order to verify. I just haven't gotten up the nerve yet. I'm already 99% sure based on the above. And trying to recreate the problem could make things worse... if not hurt the device I connect. I may decide to leave well enough alone. I seldom use the radio anyway.
DarrellJ

Return to Transit Connect