*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

transit connect engine swop white smoke

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

transit connect engine swop white smoke

Postby philyates68 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:25 am

hi,
my old connects engine packed up after 200000 miles. according to the garage it was a water issue probably cracked block . its a 230 110 bhp 2007 model
I have bought another connect engine out of a 2010 van & after a lot of bits swop it is now in the van & started straight away. engine sounds ok.
how ever it does seem to be putting out a fair amount of grey/white smoke.
I ran it up to temperature & it never over heated. every now & then it ran a bit lumpy on idle then once it was warmed right up it didn't start to well.
we havnt run it up the road yet.
the van was stood over a year before it was done & I am wondering weather the exhaust is full of water from the old engine maybe? hence the smoke. pump timing a notch out after I changed belt .
any ideas or suggestions appreciated before I go at it again this afternoon

cheers phil
philyates68
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: transit connect engine swop white smoke

Postby kjb » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:38 pm

White smoke is caused by raw, unburnt fuel passing into the exhaust stream. Common causes include ..

Incorrect fuel injection timing
Defective fuel injectors
Low cylinder compression

Low cylinder compression may be caused by leaking valves, sticking piston rings, ring wear, cylinder wear, or cylinder glaze.

When white smoke occurs at cold start and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes are fouling deposits around piston rings and/or cylinder glazing.

Continuous evidence of white smoke indicates a mechanical defect, or incorrect fuel timing.

Water entering combustion spaces will also create white smoke. Faulty head gaskets and cracked cylinder heads or blocks are a common cause of water entry .. unfortunately, expensive mechanical repair is the only proper solution here.
kjb
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby philyates68 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:59 am

thanks

we have now discovered the water is getting into the engine oil which is the main cause we believe. the culprit is looking like the oil cooler has failed. I had to put the old one on of the blown engine as the engine I purchased had an 8mm banjo & I needed a 10mm to suit my pipe work.
finger crossed

cheers
philyates68
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby scruf0_5 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:08 pm

hi phil yates
just wondering
you changed your engine for a newer model 2010 model i think you wrote !!!
there there a lot of difference between the both ?
reason i ask is ive got 2006 connect with good mechanics but rough body
and looking at newer model 2010+ with good body to swap over mechanics
scruf0_5

Postby philyates68 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:00 am

really sorry for late reply

I didn't notice your reply
all I can tell you is what I have learnt

I believe that all the 18tdci engines from 06 up to 012 are the same. the only differences are the auxiliary's such as turbos, manifolds, ect which I believe will relate to the different codes.
I picked up a 2010 engine but it wasn't the same code so I did have a lot of swopping about of bits. the easier path would be to make sure the engine codes are the same way all the other bits you will need to take from your old should go on with much less hassle.
even something as simple as whether the new one is with or without ac? I had to change an alternator mount , an engine pulley both after the engine was in
its nothing like the crossflow days

cheers phil
philyates68
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby paul2012 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:14 am

philyates68 wrote:really sorry for late reply

I didn't notice your reply
all I can tell you is what I have learnt

I believe that all the 18tdci engines from 06 up to 012 are the same. the only differences are the auxiliary's such as turbos, manifolds, ect which I believe will relate to the different codes.
I picked up a 2010 engine but it wasn't the same code so I did have a lot of swopping about of bits. the easier path would be to make sure the engine codes are the same way all the other bits you will need to take from your old should go on with much less hassle.
even something as simple as whether the new one is with or without ac? I had to change an alternator mount , an engine pulley both after the engine was in
its nothing like the crossflow days

cheers phil

No. They are NOT the same...

110ps engines (Euro 4) have different pistons, Injectors, Turbo & oil cooler.
Than 75ps & 90ps engines (Euro 4)

See your thread here :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=179333
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Transit Connect