*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Ford transit connect won't crank

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Ford transit connect won't crank

Postby Mita » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:21 pm

Hello everyone,

First post, apologies... I hope someone can help. All the best..

I left my Van for 3 months outside in quite damp conditions with no regular starting. The van ran perfect before this with no warning lights or issues. I've since tried to start it but it won't even crank. It's not the starter or battery. It's a diagnostic issue where the ECU is not allowing it to crank. I have 2 warning lights that won't go out. The Coil light and the powertrain warning light (cogged wheel with ! In it). The mileage also now reads -------, if I disconnect the battery and re connect after a while I get the mileage back until I turn the key again.

I have tried 2 different OBD readers today and both won't connect? Could this be an ECU issue? As in it's dead? And isn't talking to the reader? Seems very strange after 3 months of sitting outside all hell breaks loose? I've checked all fuses in engine bay and swapped round known working relays but nothing. I get a click when I turn on ignition.

The only thing I've spotted apart from the norm, is my turbo to airbox pipe is split.

Anyone have any ideas? I've tried some Ford forums but not having loads of joy. I know I can take it to Ford but it's 12 years old and done 200k so I'm not really wanting to throw too much at it.

Thanks in advance
Mita
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Ford transit connect won't crank

Postby APH » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:02 pm

Those 2 lights only go out when the engine is running, so not a problem. What does the red PATS light do when you first turn the key on? does it come on steady and then go out after about 3 seconds?

Have you put a meter on the small terminal of the starter and ground and tried turning to start to see what voltage you get at the starter solenoid?

If you turn headlights on and try starting, do they change in brightness at all?

Andy :D
03 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 LWB HR white panel van
X reg 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 MWB MR Yellow Panel van
56 reg lwb high roof connect, 1.8 tdci 90 t 220

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

copy and paste to help bunny gain world domination
APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mita » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:12 pm

Battery battery is brand new , yes I did "attempt" to test the starter , but it was with the wife so it was a bit of a struggle!!

Excuse my igonarance bt what is the red Pats light?

Regards
Mita
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mita » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:25 pm

Looking at it I'm
Assuming you mean the imobiliser?
Mita
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby APH » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:45 pm

Mita wrote:Looking at it I'm
Assuming you mean the imobiliser?

Yes, with the key off and van just sitting, there should be slow flashing red light (either on the dash or on the speedo assembly somewhere.) When you turn the key to the on position (dash lights come on) that light should illuminate steady for about 3 seconds then go out if all is well with the imobiliser.

Andy. :D
03 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 LWB HR white panel van
X reg 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 MWB MR Yellow Panel van
56 reg lwb high roof connect, 1.8 tdci 90 t 220

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

copy and paste to help bunny gain world domination
APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mita » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:47 pm

I will have to check 100% but I'm pretty sure it stays on? As in it keeps flashing?
Mita
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mita » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:56 am

Hi everyone , and good morning!

I will be going to check the connect today. I will firstly check the imobiliser light stays on with the ignition. It's been bugging me it's an imobiliser issue to be honest so I'm hoping it is! If the light stays on once ignition is on, what is my next step?

Many thanks
Mita
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mita » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:07 am

Apologies BTW as I'm new I didn't probably give enough info. Just in case it's needed , it's a 2005 connect 1.8 (registered April) the keys are square each with a blue or red plastic insert in the top. On the dash the LED is in the middle of the clocks.

Mita
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mita » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:41 am

I also think I dropped a major one too :(

I tried to bump it a few weeks back too so I'm guessing I've not done it the world of good :cry:
Mita
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mita » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:21 pm

im sat in it now! Ok the led is flashing every 3 seconds , if I turn the ignition on the clocks fire up, fuel gauge reads, everything does what it should. The 2 lights stay on and the led just flashes as it was before every 3 seconds. I've tried waiting a minute to see if it gives and codes but nothing?

The battery is brand new. Everything in the cab works, ac , fan, lights etc. I've checked fuses in both boxes, and also swapped the relays around just in case. Still nothing?

Im wondering if the transponder isn't working? Both keys do the same thing?
Mita
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mita » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:51 pm

I seem to be talking to myself :shock:

However it makes me feel better !!

Just an update. I've checked starter but supplying a 12v to solinoid and it cranked. So starter is ok.
Mita
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mita » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:25 pm

Update !

I have turned on ignition, and cranked engine with a 12v supply to starter. No unusual noises and turns over fine, but it won't fire?
Mita
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:47 pm

If the immobiliser light is flashing slowly, then the vehicle is immobilised with no immobiliser fault logged. I'm surprised that it's turning over as the immobiliser should inhibit the starter from turning.

The only time I've ever had this was on my old Smiley, and there was a blown fuse in the power circuit to the immobiliser, but the system on the Connect is quite different :? Definitely worth removing and testing every fuse in all of the fuse boxes to make sure :idea:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Mita » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:51 pm

All fuses now checked with a tester. All ok. Yes starter turned with my 12v makeshift supply from battery but won't do anything off key.

Yes LED is strange? It literally just keeps flashing same speed with ignition on or off?
Mita
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:55 pm

Mita wrote:All fuses now checked with a tester. All ok. Yes starter turned with my 12v makeshift supply from battery but won't do anything off key.

Yes LED is strange? It literally just keeps flashing same speed with ignition on or off?

Ah right, the starter will turn if you hot wire the supply but the immobiliser is preventing it firing, or even turning over on the key.
If you're 100% sure it's not a fuse, then you need to find out why there's no power to switch off the immobiliser :? It's always possible that the ignition switch is faulty :idea:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Next

Return to Transit Connect