*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

A tale of Woe

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

A tale of Woe

Postby TimRuk » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:03 pm

I bought my 07 connect about 8 months ago (ex Post Office with 55k on it) with a full test and some new bits on it. Never having driven one of these before I assumed a droning noise I could hear was just road noise, it had a new wheel bearing on the the drivers side and other than the noise all seemed good.
I've put about 6k miles on it since I got it and I've a light foot and it's not been loaded other than with my two Springer Spaniels (which is why I bought it in the first place) any way the road noise got progressively worse over time until two weeks ago when it got really bad and felt like a bearing was breaking up.
So consulted the internet (mainly on here) and replaced the nearside bearing, no change, so I installed a new offside driveshaft, no change, new nearside driveshaft, no change, bit the bullet and pulled the gearbox out and got it checked out, all good, no problems there.
Only one thing left then, the "new wheel bearing" yep a new bearing with less than 7k miles on it completely shagged, after changing that it's like a new van, smooth as butter. I had wrongly assumed that it couldn't be that bearing because it was new so it had to be something else.
So an awful lot of work for almost nothing, and it was a real struggle on my own getting the box out and back in again, not to mention the sh*t weather and the stinking virus I had at the time.
Moral of the story? never assume and always do the easy cheap stuff first, I wish I'd taken that advice.
Bugger !!
TimRuk

Re: A tale of Woe

Postby rimotu66 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:03 pm

Ruddy hell thats a lot of work for a wheel bearing :shock: At least you know you can do it now so cup half full and all that rollocks :lol:

Welcome to the forum by the way.
2007 SWB 110PS GLX Mk7
rimotu66
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby TimRuk » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:44 pm

Tell me about it, the reason I left that bearing as the last thing to change is because it was new and it didn't make any noise when spun over by hand, no load on it I suppose, no obvious play in it either.
But as you say all done now so bonus!!
TimRuk

Postby bigjohnthomas » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:53 pm

Ten pound flip flop egay wheel bearing item :wink:
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby darkbluevanman » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:24 pm

Once all this stuff was make proper... now it's just made cheaper, I try and look for bargain branded stuff, but a lot of that is repackaged far east crap..
darkbluevanman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Transit Connect