*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Keys

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Keys

Postby bobbin » Fri May 05, 2017 9:48 pm

So, I have read lots and still seem to be confused :P

I have bought my recent 2008 Connect and it cam with a key with no buttons to unlock the doors, also has the little blue tab at the top and it also had a three button key that worked to start the car but wouldn't lock/unlock the van. Well it did, but it was random, thought it was the battery, but since changed it and it still doesn't work. It starts the van, but the buttons don't work.

So, I want a replacement three button key. What do I need, I know it is an ID63 transponder that is in the three button key, so do i transfer this part to a new key and just get it cut and programme it, or not?

I would actually like two new three button keys if possible, but I don't know what or how I go about that, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
bobbin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Keys

Postby HARRYSPADGE » Fri May 05, 2017 10:25 pm

I have just purchased some additional remote keys from eBay.
Look up the seller 'wigankeystore2016'. I can highly recommend them.
You can buy a remote key with a blank blade.
Just get the blank cut to match your existing key. You can code the remotes yourself.
If you only have one key at the moment you'll need to find someone with IDS to code in a second key.
Once you have two coded keys you're then able to code additional keys yourself.
Take a look here, viewtopic.php?f=31&t=142157
HARRYSPADGE
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bobbin » Sun May 07, 2017 10:31 pm

Cheers mate,
I have purchased this and should be here this week so will see if it works ok -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172631367476? ... EBIDX%3AIT
bobbin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bobbin » Wed May 10, 2017 10:15 pm

Ok so I got the key cut and programmed it up but the led on the dash just flashes when trying to ID the key with the other two keys. I can get it to lock and unlock the van but can't get it to work the immobiliser. I opened up the key to check it has an ID63 transponder as it is supposed to be in the key as a new one but can't see it anywhere in the key. If anyone has the same key, can you let me know where the transponder would be in the key please Image
bobbin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bobbin » Wed May 10, 2017 10:17 pm

I can't see it anywhere in the key, is it missing or am I just looking hard enough?
bobbin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby liteace » Wed May 10, 2017 11:29 pm

Is it tucked down inside the horseshoe part of the mechanical key?
Please don't send me PM's, i can't access them, when I try I get this:

You are not authorised to send private messages
liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bobbin » Wed May 10, 2017 11:58 pm

You mean in the part with the actual key?
bobbin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby paul2012 » Thu May 11, 2017 12:09 am

bobbin wrote:You mean in the part with the actual key?

See thread here :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=142157#p1186287 8)
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bobbin » Thu May 11, 2017 12:09 am

Ah ha, so it is in the key. So it's not the transponder then. Does that mean I can't programme it then. When I try it from the two keys I have this won't work. The LED on the dash just flashes when I try to programme this key.
bobbin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bobbin » Thu May 11, 2017 12:11 am

These are the only keys that came with the van, I guessed they were both original and not copy's. Can I not programme the new key from these two then?
bobbin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby paul2012 » Thu May 11, 2017 12:13 am

bobbin wrote:Ah ha, so it is in the key. So it's not the transponder then. Does that mean I can't programme it then. When I try it from the two keys I have this won't work. The LED on the dash just flashes when I try to programme this key.

Transponder chip is next to key blade. That needs to be programmed to vehicle - PATS (Immobiliser) :!:

Remote part is for central locking only.
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bobbin » Thu May 11, 2017 12:40 am

Thanks mate. Found it now
So I have the two original keys and tried to get this one into the PATS by following the tutorials on here but the new key won't respond and start the ignition. I just get the LED on the dash flashing fast. So my query is is it the two keys I have that won't allow me to programme this new key?
bobbin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby T i m » Thu May 11, 2017 10:09 am

bobbin wrote:Thanks mate. Found it now
So I have the two original keys and tried to get this one into the PATS by following the tutorials on here but the new key won't respond and start the ignition. I just get the LED on the dash flashing fast. So my query is is it the two keys I have that won't allow me to programme this new key?

Whilst not answering your question we were in a similar position (2003 Connect) just recently in that we didn't know if the two keys that came with the vehicle were originals / different coding and if not, if one was simply a clone of the other (therefore removing the option to program a third key using the built-in system).

Than daughter accidentally mowed her main van key bunch (doh!) bending all but the Tibbe key though 90 degrees (two high security slamlocks and a gate padlock key) but managing to slice the transponder off the ignition key and throwing it across the lawn somewhere. ;-(

So, we tried to get the remaining good key clone in a local high street Locksmiths and whilst they appeared to clone ok (the newly cut key certainly worked better in the locks) they simply immobilised the van in use. So, he tried another clone using a different batch of transponders and with the same result.

Then he put a 'diagnostic transponder' (pre coded?) in a key and plugged in his OBD diagnostic tool and after several goes, managed to get one of the two extra keys we wanted programmed into the van / PATS! ;-)

Now, ss we had two new keys physically cut, I pulled the transponder out of the old / worn key and believe it was probably the only real original as the transponder was supported in a some rubber cups, not just in a blue plastic slider (like the remains of which we found in the lawn) you typically find on these after market keys?

So, *in theory*, because we now how what should be two *different* coded keys, if we get another key with the right type of transponder in it we should be able to program a 3rd key (I believe it also wipes any previously stored keys)?

He gave me a couple of the old transponders and I'd like some way to be able to read them. Forscan?
T i m
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bobbin » Thu May 11, 2017 2:03 pm

Similar problem to me then,

I think I need to get someone to look at the keys I have and see if they are original. But if i get to that stage, I may as well have the one I have recoded using the software.

I dont suppose anyone is near Letchworth, Hertfordshire who has the software who can assist, I would obviously pay for there time in helping me out.

Thanks,
bobbin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby T i m » Thu May 11, 2017 4:04 pm

bobbin wrote:Similar problem to me then,

I think I need to get someone to look at the keys I have and see if they are original. But if i get to that stage, I may as well have the one I have recoded using the software.

I dont suppose anyone is near Letchworth, Hertfordshire who has the software who can assist, I would obviously pay for there time in helping me out.

Thanks,

That's what I was trying to do and potentially still could with what I've already got. Assuming you have a laptop or Android phone, you could (potentially) also do the same using the Forscan software and a cheap USB OBD dongle (I have an ELM327 bluetooth adaptor that works fine with a laptop and my Samsung S7) to interrogate the system and reveal the key codes (so you / we can see if they are different or not).

http://forscan.org/home.html
https://www.elmelectronics.com/products/ics/obd/

I hadn't upgraded the licence to the extended one (free) when I first looked at the van and was slightly uneasy about probing too far in case I did something bad so I just need to find someone who has used Forscan quite a bit to point me in the right direction.

The ultimate goal would be to clear all the stored key codes and only have those that are in our possession.

Cheers, T i m
T i m
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Transit Connect