*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2003 Connect, new clone keys don't work?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

2003 Connect, new clone keys don't work?

Postby T i m » Mon May 08, 2017 3:24 pm

Hi all,

A while ago daughter managed to mow her van keys (don't ask) and the only key of several that survived was the actual Tibbe key but the transponder had been sliced off and was somewhere in the lawn. ;-(

Luckily she had a spare set.

Not wanting to have only one ignition key she took it into yer high street locksmiths today and had the key cloned twice but whilst the actual Tibbe bit works fine, it's just that the transponder bit doesn't, immobilising the van till something times out or un-immobilises it (even on the one good / original key).

We took all 3 keys back to the locksmith, he re-programmed the clones (the Computer says ok) but they still don't work. He suggested that this was a common key that he rarely has any issues with and if another copy didn't work, they would have to be done diagnostically. ;-(

So, I'd thought I'd just check with the panel in case there was something 'else' we should do please?

(I would have got a 3rd key before this but was aware you needed two *different* keys to program more and weren't sure if the two we had were.

I do have Forscan but not tried it on there yet. Would that be able to see what the transponders were reporting, even if it couldn't program them in etc?

Cheers, Tim

p.s. Leaving a clone key at position II for a minute gives us the code 15 on the immobiliser LED. I'm guessing that may mean 'immobilised'? ;-)
T i m
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 2003 Connect, new clone keys don't work?

Postby paul2012 » Mon May 08, 2017 6:29 pm

T i m wrote:Hi all,

A while ago daughter managed to mow her van keys (don't ask) and the only key of several that survived was the actual Tibbe key but the transponder had been sliced off and was somewhere in the lawn. ;-(

Luckily she had a spare set.

Not wanting to have only one ignition key she took it into yer high street locksmiths today and had the key cloned twice but whilst the actual Tibbe bit works fine, it's just that the transponder bit doesn't, immobilising the van till something times out or un-immobilises it (even on the one good / original key).

We took all 3 keys back to the locksmith, he re-programmed the clones (the Computer says ok) but they still don't work. He suggested that this was a common key that he rarely has any issues with and if another copy didn't work, they would have to be done diagnostically. ;-(

So, I'd thought I'd just check with the panel in case there was something 'else' we should do please?

(I would have got a 3rd key before this but was aware you needed two *different* keys to program more and weren't sure if the two we had were.

I do have Forscan but not tried it on there yet. Would that be able to see what the transponders were reporting, even if it couldn't program them in etc?

Cheers, Tim

p.s. Leaving a clone key at position II for a minute gives us the code 15 on the immobiliser LED. I'm guessing that may mean 'immobilised'? ;-)

Code 15. Incorrect key transponder / not programmed to vehicle.

What year is your Connect :?: As there are 2 types of transponder chips - More info is available here :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=142157 8)
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby T i m » Mon May 08, 2017 6:40 pm

paul2012 wrote:Code 15. Incorrect key transponder / not programmed to vehicle.

Ah, so it recognises that it's there but tells us that it's a different code?
What year is your Connect :?: As there are 2 types of transponder chips

2003 Paul. ;-)
More info is available here :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=142157 8)

Yeah, I have read though that (after searching here prior posting ... but thanks <g>) and understand ours uses a ID4D-60 transponder.

Prior to getting them copied I looked into doing them myself with a gadget off eBay but the seller suggested the ID4D-60 wasn't possible (on their kit).

Maybe the locksmiths simply got it wrong and used a later key (strange their computer said it had copied ok)?

Cheers, T i m
T i m
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby T i m » Thu May 11, 2017 10:28 am

I have followed up on this elsewhere but I'll do it here in case it helps.

So, Locksmith cloned a 3rd transponder from the original but it still just immobilised the van.

Then he replaced the transponders with what he referred to as 'diagnostic transponders' (pre coded presumably?), came to the vehicle and plugged in his OBD diagnostic tool. After 3 of 4 attempts he managed to get one of the two keys programmed into the system so we left it at that (at least we have one spare again).

He gave me the 'old' transponders as I asked because I would like to see if I can read them (Forscan possibly (I have got it with an extended licence and proved it does tall to the van modules)) and compare them with the original?

As he had previously cut two new keys (from code) and the new keys worked better in the old locks than the one remaining 'original' key, we (I) took the transponder out of it and fitted in to the new key. I believe that 'donor' key was the only genuine Ford key we had (and therefore the one that got damaged was possibly a clone) as the transponder itself was supported in rubber, rather than just being in a light blue plastic 'carrier' (the remains of which we found on the lawn).

So, in theory we now have two different keys so with them, should be able to add a third (and / or 4th) ourselves?

If we try and it fails for some reason, is it likely to leave the van immobilised?

Cheers, T i m
T i m
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Connect