*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Help with wheels please

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Help with wheels please

Postby stugordon » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:09 pm

Hi all.
I've got a 03 plate connect that has standard steel wheels but I'd like to upgrade them to ford alloys.
I have the chance of a set of 17" rims from I believe a Mondeo.
My question is will these fit?
I use the van for work so it does carry a fair amount of weight at times & as the standard rims are 15" I want to know if fitting bigger rims will have the tyres rubbing on the arches?
If this is the case is there any way I can get around this? Such as stiffer suspension Springs etc??
Hope someone can answer this question
Thanks in advance
stugordon
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Help with wheels please

Postby g-man » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:01 pm

mine don't with 215/50s.......ford allys are about the same width as steels, so long as its 5 stud, tyre sizes here

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... ARJceEmBeA
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby stugordon » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:59 pm

Thanks for your reply.
My tyres are 195-65-15 I think they are the standard size. The 17" rims have got 225-45-17 fitted.
I have the option to fit the wheels before paying for them to check they fit but my worry is the tyres may rub the arches especially when it's fully loaded which is half the time it's used.
Being a fence erector & landscaper by trade as u can imagine I carry fairly heavy loads at times so would like to know for sure they fit without rubbing etc.
From my days as a trainee mechanic I know ford wheels were fairly inter changeable with stud patterns being the same. My worries are the width & more so the actual 17" rim. If they were 16" I would buy them as I would expect them to fit find.
Any one on here got 17" rims fitted?? Do they fit correctly with out rubbing etc??
stugordon
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby g-man » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:34 pm

standard allys i'm sure are 7J.......will say on the inside of wheel........and make sure tyres are weight rated for your van
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby darkbluevanman » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:28 pm

g-man wrote:standard allys i'm sure are 7J.......will say on the inside of wheel........and make sure tyres are weight rated for your van

And the tyres too... think only the little connect can use std, non xl tyres??
darkbluevanman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Graemma1 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:42 am

I have 3 transit connects. One has 17 inch Mondeo alloys, 1 has 16 inch cmax alloys and 1 has 18 inch ST alloys. All of which fit perfectly without issues
Graemma1

Postby kier70 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:44 pm

Graemma1 wrote:I have 3 transit connects. One has 17 inch Mondeo alloys, 1 has 16 inch cmax alloys and 1 has 18 inch ST alloys. All of which fit perfectly without issues

Hi, I recently bought a SWB low roof 2008 with 18" ST alloys but have just looked at the nuts on the rear (due to tyre change needed, 225 45 R18 load 95 fitted) which only look to be using half the thread of the stud suck out of the drum. This is obviously due to differences in the standard steel wheel vs. alloy depth but does this look dodgy to anybody?
kier70

Return to Transit Connect