*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Leak off test?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Leak off test?

Postby badboydas » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:13 pm

Hi all
Have read of different ways of performing leak of test, but none seem to be definitive. Can someone who knows (Not Thinks they know) :) confirm how to perform a leak off test correctly?
Also should there be air in the return flow?
badboydas

Re: Leak off test?

Postby liteace » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:58 pm

badboydas wrote:............ but none seem to be definitive. Can someone who knows (Not Thinks they know) :) confirm how to perform a leak off test correctly?

Correctly = plug in VCM, run IDS, follow on screen instructions, let test run (automatically) then compare the amount of diesel in the bottles to what the IDS screen says
Please don't send me PM's, i can't access them, when I try I get this:

You are not authorised to send private messages
liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby badboydas » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:34 pm

Thank you liteace
But not everyone has VDS. My question is for the likes of myself, call me tight :D . But the ford Wiki indicates a 5 minute test, but most on the internet say 3 minute. The difference between 3 and 5 minutes will make all the difference. Yes I did ask for definitive and I am sure you are giving a definitive answer. I will change my question, given that most of the posters and non posters are DIY`ers, what would be a relative test given we would already have the return tube blocked of the return pipes and connected bottles that can show the the difference between injectors?
badboydas

Postby liteace » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:13 pm

No idea because when the IDS runs the self test it will automatically control engine speed / time until the test is finished, I'm sure there are other ways you can test but Fords built it this way and that's the way they test it!
Please don't send me PM's, i can't access them, when I try I get this:

You are not authorised to send private messages
liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Ml Autos » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:15 am

Leak off test is performed at cranking speed (10-15 sec.) with injectors unplugged and return pipe blocked with a clamp. A leaking injector will show itself straight away. It will fill the bottle in seconds. Never heard about 3 or 5 min test:)
Leak of test at idle should confirm the cranking test.
Ml Autos
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby badboydas » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:12 pm

This is 5 minute way http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?tit ... k-Off_Test then there is another way which is only 3 minutes, 2 minutes at idle then 3 5 second burst upto 3000rpm. Niether compares to the other, this why I wanted something definitive
Cheers the cranking test with injectors unplugged and return tubes blocked crank 10 - 15 seconds. I had heard of this test but not had all the details.
cheers To both of you for your help
badboydas

Postby Ml Autos » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:46 pm

From my experience with Transit Connect if injector is leaking youll be able to see it straight away)) good luck
Ml Autos
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Connect