*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Connect Relay Issues

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Transit Connect Relay Issues

Postby mark_PB » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:55 pm

FORD T220 CONNECT 1.8TD 2003

I have two main issues with my Connect. For over a year I have had central locking issues. When the remote is pressed to lock the van all 6 doors go through the locking sequence then immediately unlock. I have tried several times to rectify this but am resigned to loosening the negative battery terminal and then as soon as the locks activate I whip off the terminal before the locks unlock. Obviously a pain to do every time I leave the van. I have cleaned all the connectors and I even tried to disconnect each door’s wiring loom individually and it did the same fault. I presume the problem is with a relay but I cannot find a CL one and one person has suggested that there is a control module not a relay and this is very expensive. I could do with some authoritative advice!

My second issue happened two days ago. I had used my van several times during the day without issue. I have added a reversing camera and mid-afternoon I noticed it did not work. I checked and discovered several things weren’t working.

These are:
Reversing lights
Break lights
Rear fog lights
Heater blower

The rear lights and front lights work and I’m sure all the above were working fine up to mid-afternoon (not sure about fog lights!).

I have removed, checked and re-seated every fuse in the internal box (behind the glove box) and under the bonnet and several relays (getting desperate!). I have seen online someone else had identical problems and resolved it by buying a replacement relay which he quoted as being “Relay R14” but I cannot find a relay marked as such nor any clear layout showing a relay diagram for a Connect – all seem to be for a Transit.

Has anyone had similar issues to these and where can I find a diagram showing relays?

Thanks
mark_PB

Re: Transit Connect Relay Issues

Postby John235 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:18 am

The multiple failures may be down to R41. This is the ignition relay.
The central locking problem is usually a case that one door is not fully closed, or that one lock is not sensing that fact. If you have side sliding doors, they are the most likely culprit. Either dirty connections, or the pins are not reaching the contact plate.
John235
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby APH » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:46 pm

John235 wrote:The multiple failures may be down to R41. This is the ignition relay.
The central locking problem is usually a case that one door is not fully closed, or that one lock is not sensing that fact. If you have side sliding doors, they are the most likely culprit. Either dirty connections, or the pins are not reaching the contact plate.

relay as suggested for ignition fault, broken wire to a door, or faulty mechanism would cause locking fault, sliding door / doors will NOT cause lock cycling fault, as not monitored for position and door ajar is ignored on those.

Andy :D
03 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 LWB HR white panel van
X reg 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 MWB MR Yellow Panel van
56 reg lwb high roof connect, 1.8 tdci 90 t 220

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

copy and paste to help bunny gain world domination
APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby John235 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:02 am

Pretty sure that the sliding doors are sensed, I had a similar problem on mine, and found the sliding door pins were not reaching the contact plate. The Haynes guide shows two sliding door ajar switches!
I think there are fault codes for these problems. Might be worth getting a diagnostic done.
John235
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby APH » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:41 am

John235 wrote:Pretty sure that the sliding doors are sensed, I had a similar problem on mine, and found the sliding door pins were not reaching the contact plate. The Haynes guide shows two sliding door ajar switches!
I think there are fault codes for these problems. Might be worth getting a diagnostic done.

the doors are not sensed like the others, they do have pin switches, as well as three pin contacts, however, if you leave a side door open and lock the van it WILL lock and STAY locked even with the door open, full size transits are exactly the same, the door ajar doesnot instantly trigger the unlock cycle like it does if you leave a drivers door open etc. HOWEVER what it does do, is with the van locked, as soon as you close the sliding door and the pin switch at the rear of the door makes connection, the locking module sends another "lock" pulse to lock the sliding door.

This only happens with the sliding doors, and no other door will do this. any attempt to lock with a different type of door open will immediately trigger a lock / unlock cycle.

I have repaired many of the locking control modules at an electronic level on these vans (connect and full size, and yes they are different modules despite looking identical locking control units!) and I know for a fact that is how the system was built to operate.

A 2003 van will not generate fault codes for the locking system either, the module has limited programming options via IDS but no independent locking diagnostics, and the van is too old to not have a CanBus operated BCM controlling anything.

Andy :D
03 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 LWB HR white panel van
X reg 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 MWB MR Yellow Panel van
56 reg lwb high roof connect, 1.8 tdci 90 t 220

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

copy and paste to help bunny gain world domination
APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic