*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine Coil Light comes on over 80 mph

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Engine Coil Light comes on over 80 mph

Postby karmafunk » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:35 pm

Hi,

I'm new here so apologies if I miss anything useful. I'm not a mechanic of any nature so simple explanations would be welcome. I bought this Transit Connect 2006 plate and have converted it into a camper. It's been a great little van. Recently however I took it over 80 mph and the coil light came on and it lost power which I believe is a safety feature to protect the engine. I was still able to drive it but it had no power and was a dog up hills. When I eventually pulled over when I got off the motorway I switched off the engine, started it again, the problem disappeared. It has since happened 2 more times when I go over 80 usually 85 plus. Since this however, when I pull off there is a slight judder almost as if I have a wheel out of balance. It's from left to right as I can tell from the phone holder that shakes left and right. I have also had the drive shaft change recently so just wanted to know if the judder could be that.

I have read a lot of info about what it could be so i just wanted to clear a few things up. Firstly am I right in thinking that the glow plugs only come on for starting the engine. I wondered if the glow plugs needed changing and whether one of the cylinders wasn't igniting hence causing the judder as the judder disappears at speed so wondered if the diesel ignites easier at speed.

I have also read that it could be the injectors. Are these simple and cheap to replace? The van has done 240,000 miles but looks like it has been well looked after and pulled like a beast when I first got it.

If have attached an ODB2 reader and there are no fault codes.

Thanks in advance for your help.
karmafunk

Re: Engine Coil Light comes on over 80 mph

Postby Back probe » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:26 pm

It may need code reading whilst the light is on or it might be your obd reader that's not up to the task. May need Snap-On, IDS, Hella Gutman etc.
Back probe
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby karmafunk » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:18 am

Back probe wrote:It may need code reading whilst the light is on or it might be your obd reader that's not up to the task. May need Snap-On, IDS, Hella Gutman etc.

Yes I did think that may be the case. I will try to reproduce the issue.

if anyone has any answers to my other questions about glow plugs etc. then let me know. Is it worth changing them anyway? I am pretty sure it's due a service.
karmafunk

Postby Back probe » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:01 pm

The glow plugs don't just start pre heat the cylinders for starting, if at all. Plug operation and purpose varies on different engines/models. Changing them if not required could open a can of worms if one breaks. Best to get a fault code first and take it from there.
Back probe
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ned » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:27 pm

Put a new fuel filter on it.
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby paul2012 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:46 pm

karmafunk wrote:Hi,

I'm new here so apologies if I miss anything useful. I'm not a mechanic of any nature so simple explanations would be welcome. I bought this Transit Connect 2006 plate and have converted it into a camper. It's been a great little van. Recently however I took it over 80 mph and the coil light came on and it lost power which I believe is a safety feature to protect the engine. I was still able to drive it but it had no power and was a dog up hills. When I eventually pulled over when I got off the motorway I switched off the engine, started it again, the problem disappeared. It has since happened 2 more times when I go over 80 usually 85 plus. Since this however, when I pull off there is a slight judder almost as if I have a wheel out of balance. It's from left to right as I can tell from the phone holder that shakes left and right. I have also had the drive shaft change recently so just wanted to know if the judder could be that.

I have read a lot of info about what it could be so i just wanted to clear a few things up. Firstly am I right in thinking that the glow plugs only come on for starting the engine. I wondered if the glow plugs needed changing and whether one of the cylinders wasn't igniting hence causing the judder as the judder disappears at speed so wondered if the diesel ignites easier at speed.

I have also read that it could be the injectors. Are these simple and cheap to replace? The van has done 240,000 miles but looks like it has been well looked after and pulled like a beast when I first got it.

If have attached an ODB2 reader and there are no fault codes.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Connect 1.8 TDCI

1st try another device to read DTC's (Error Codes) 2000-2003 Transit Connects are NOT OBDII compliant. (OBDII devices won't communicate with vehicle) :idea:

Glow plug light flashing, Engine either reduction in power (Limp mode) or Cutting out but restarts ok. Fault occurs more under heavy acceleration.

NO doubt following DTC's will be stored.

P0251 Injection Pump Fuel Metering Control "A"
P1211 Injector Control Pressure Higher/Lower Than Desired (engine running)

Main cause is worn out injectors leading to excessive injector leakoff AND/OR worn out fuel pump.
A simple leakoff test will comfirm if injectors are at fault. if they are at fault, it's best to replace all 4 :idea:

**NOTE** Replacement Injectors will require to be programmed to PCM (Engine ECU) :!:

If pump has worn out, You require a replacement fuel pump, Injectors & DIesel filter. Due to swarf

When replacing diesel filter. Cut open old one & check to see if any swarf is present.
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby karma846 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:51 pm

Try driving at the legal limit.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
karma846
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby JayKay3000 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:20 am

I didn't even know the connect could go over 80mph!
JayKay3000
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Connect