*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Testing fan circuits

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Testing fan circuits

Postby John235 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:47 pm

Having an intermittent overheating problem, and would like to be able to diagnose further. Can the diagnostic boxes help figure it out? The temperature guage works OK, but I don't think that the fan is being turned on. Will the diagnostic allow you to command the fan to run, or only to see if the ECU is trying to start it?
Anybody got any bright ideas?
I have tested the fan realy, that is functioning, and if I loop the contacts, the fan does run.
John235
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Testing fan circuits

Postby mk2dk » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:57 pm

Hi John235
I'll follow this one
I've never heard the fan start on my Connect either. The temp gauge stays bang on the middle, never goes any higher. Where do you loop the circuit to try the fan ? The radiator has a square thing with a cable connected. It's on the upper section next to the fan, don't know if it's the sensor, never seen one like that before.
mk2dk
mk2dk
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Testing fan circuits

Postby John235 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:49 am

To test the fan itself, I looped the contacts of the relay with a piece of wire.
I think the square thing is a resistor associated with the second (high speed) fan.
What I would like to do is "tell" the ECU that it is hot, and see if that starts the fan. I am not sure where the engine temp sensor is!
John235
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Connect