*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

I'm beaten ... by a small plastic tray!! :-(

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

I'm beaten ... by a small plastic tray!! :-(

Postby ukEvans » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:57 pm

I'm trying to remove the centre facia panel to get at the heater control cables etc. I've searched through the forums and read everything I could find that was relevant. I am aware that "(the tray can be an arse to remove)", however, I kid you not, I've been at this for well over 2 hours and I still can't get it (the little tray at the bottom) to budge!!

I'm aware that the two clips at the back need to be prised upwards, but how? Using a screwdriver just forces the rest of the tray down. Nothing can get the clips to lift. I even went for the "I don't care if I wreck it" approach but it still won't budge, consequently, I am now sure that I'm using enough force but it must be technique that is the problem.

Anyone got any ideas of how to get past this brick wall??
2013 Connect Trend Mk1 Facelift 90bhp T230 High Roof, LWB (a blank canvass)
2014 Transit Trend Mk8, L2H2 RWD 350, 155bhp (now traded for the above)
2008 Connect Mk1 75bhp, EGR Delete, remapped to 100bhp (still in the family)
ukEvans
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: I'm beaten ... by a small plastic tray!! :-(

Postby g-man » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:41 pm

if your on about the ashtray, u hold both clips in and it pulls out
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby tez » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:25 am

yank @pull it
tez
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ukEvans » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:22 am

An update for those interested.

I now have a 'smug as f**k' t'other half 'cos she got it out!! :oops:

What I'd read on here previously was actually misleading; it's all quite obvious now it's out but, the clips/lugs at the back of the tray (remember we're on a about a small document/pen tray; mine doesn't have any kind of ashtray!) are nothing to do with holding it in place, hence the reason no matter how much I prised/forced/levered them, the tray didn't move. What was actually holding the tray in place was two small lugs at each side of the front part of the tray!!! Not the back/bottom but the front!!! That little 'error of descripton' in the post I'd read has cost me a weeks worth of cooking dinner and washing-up!!!

Smug b**ch, I'm not letting her near the van again!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:wink: :wink: :wink:

PS. I'll probably do a write-up with pictures as I found a couple of other bits that were not as per previous posts. I'm guessing there were some subtle changes (i.e. trying to undo an out-of-sight crosshead screw for ages ..... that turned out to be a Torx 20! :( ) made as the years progressed.
2013 Connect Trend Mk1 Facelift 90bhp T230 High Roof, LWB (a blank canvass)
2014 Transit Trend Mk8, L2H2 RWD 350, 155bhp (now traded for the above)
2008 Connect Mk1 75bhp, EGR Delete, remapped to 100bhp (still in the family)
ukEvans
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:31 pm

ukEvans wrote:An update for those interested.

I now have a 'smug as f**k' t'other half 'cos she got it out!! :oops:

What I'd read on here previously was actually misleading; it's all quite obvious now it's out but, the clips/lugs at the back of the tray (remember we're on a about a small document/pen tray; mine doesn't have any kind of ashtray!) are nothing to do with holding it in place, hence the reason no matter how much I prised/forced/levered them, the tray didn't move. What was actually holding the tray in place was two small lugs at each side of the front part of the tray!!! Not the back/bottom but the front!!! That little 'error of descripton' in the post I'd read has cost me a weeks worth of cooking dinner and washing-up!!!

Smug b**ch, I'm not letting her near the van again!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:wink: :wink: :wink:

PS. I'll probably do a write-up with pictures as I found a couple of other bits that were not as per previous posts. I'm guessing there were some subtle changes (i.e. trying to undo an out-of-sight crosshead screw for ages ..... that turned out to be a Torx 20! :( ) made as the years progressed.

New "how to"'s are always welcome, for some reason people can be happy to ask advice, and not so keen to pass it on, so many threads have no conclusion.
If you get round to doing a write up, PM me, and I'll put it in the appropriate section where it's more easily found :D
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby ff1976 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:33 pm

A write up with photo's for jobs like these would be very helpful, I'll look forward to reading it, a lot from the Haynes Workshop Manual keeps referring you to different sections and the photos are poor and are in black and white.
ff1976
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Connect