*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Metallic noise, stuttering till warm. 1.8TDCI (2005)

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Metallic noise, stuttering till warm. 1.8TDCI (2005)

Postby JayKay3000 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:04 pm

Hi Folks.

A couple of issues on my 05 1.8 TDCI engine - I'm taking this to a mechanic in the next few days, but if anyone can shed some light on the issues in the event that this new mechanic I'm trying tries to bill me for a full engine re-build!

1) When the engine is started the engine sounds fine on idle, but when driven at low rpms seems to emmit a metallic sound in time with the engine rpm, 'ting, ting, ting, ting' sort of sound and if full power is not applied the engine stutters and in the past has given off clouds of blue smoke, but it doesn't do that now. It just has this metallic sound, the engine tries to stutter, if full power is applied the noise goes and used over 2k rpm from cold the engine is fine and the noise goes. After a couple of minutes the engine is warmer and low revs can be used.

2) No real power till 2k rpm. It feels like the turbo is not turning on till then because it surges into life at 2k rpm. This has been a massive issue when I was on holiday this summer in Wales and had some extremely steep first gear back roads where I had to build up the revs because there was simply no torque or power being produced low the in the rev range. I've asked this no 2 question before and been told it could be faulty injectors because when pushed really hard as in if it has to struggle up a massive hill in first gear the glow plug light will come on and the engine will spit blue smoke till the engine is turned off and back on again.

3) At 3k rpm the exhaust emits black smoke. I've not tried pushing through to 4 or even 5k so I normally shift between the 2 and 3k window.

The turbo is leaking oil and 'we', me and several mechanics suspect the turbo is on the way out, but I've read several other suggestions on the forums for the power issue.

Thanks guys.
JayKay3000
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Metallic noise, stuttering till warm. 1.8TDCI (2005)

Postby JayKay3000 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:55 pm

Turns out the cold noise is how it's supposed to sound when cold ad even the new transits do it. The clackity clack is not the death rattle i've had on petrol engines and since the exhaust was fixed there is less stuttering when cold.

Some of the power issue was the exhaust that was nearly broken in half in the middle.

Black smoke - not sure. Made another thread encase anyone has any ideas.
JayKay3000
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby g-man » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:56 pm

what derv are u using, premium or s/market?......could try adding 2stroke, it does help
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Kenton » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:16 am

g-man wrote:what derv are u using, premium or s/market?......could try adding 2stroke, it does help

Very good point about the quality of fuel you use G! I have been using the expensive stuff from BP for the last 2-3 years, and i have to say (along with a few drops of REDEX) it has improved no end! I will never go back to using the cheap stuff from the supermarkets.
My van spent its earlier life chugging around south london, in 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gear, so by the time i bought it, it had covered 100,000 miles that way, and was bellowing out blue smoke under acceleration, and when cold. Since i have owned it, it gets 'driven' properly, with regular trips down the motorway, and opened up at as many opportunity's as is sensible. It has now got a different, cleaner smell to it, and the smoke has improved drastically. My MOT smoke tests tell the story of improvement. Diesels need a good 'thrash' regularly to burn off deposits that build up in the engine over time, and newer vehicles fitted with the dreaded DPF's (diesel particulate filter) have this written into the owners handbook, as something that 'HAS' to be done, to save wrecking the DPF, and the warranty of the vehicle!

Good luck with getting it sorted JayKay, and keep us informed of your progress.
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler