*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Snapped Bolt subframe

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Snapped Bolt subframe

Postby JumpingJacks » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:39 pm

Evening all

I've managed to over tighten and snap the bolt which secures the lower gearbox mounting which goes through the mount and into the subframe Unfortunately the bolt snapped inside the nut which is welded to the top of the subframe. I've tried drilling and using a bolt/ screw extractor however although I used a punch it didn't quite drill in the centre and now the §screw extractor is catching on the subframe and gets caught on it when I try to turn anti clockwise. Is there anyway to get the bolt of the subframe or if I try is it a subframe out job.

Seems I have OCD with tightening things :shock:

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Transit Connect 2010 TDCI SWB T200 75
50,000 miles
EGR Blank and Delete
K&N Pannel filter
VanTuner Remap :D
Focus Air Box and Snorkel (awaiting fitting)
JumpingJacks
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Snapped Bolt subframe

Postby karl » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:58 pm

yes take subframe off mate
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby JumpingJacks » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:39 pm

Cheers Karl due to the inaccessibility of that nut I guessed that but many thanks for confirming it for me. Always good to get advise from an experienced mechanic 8)

Ok so I have an update if anyone's interested. Due to me needing the van for work I've done a tempory fix which should by me some time in till I can find someone to repair it long term.

SO I carried on drilling through the bolt but as expected due to me drilling slightly off centre once I got through the bolt I could tell straight away I had inadvertently drilled off the thread on one side of the nut. I was gutted as I knew I couldn't get a new nut on top of the welded nut as there's very little room due to the steering rack being directly above it. I had a think about it and got my BOSH cordless multi tool out. There wasn't a lot of room so I removed the bracket that connects the lòwer gearbox mount to the gear box. Now I had room I used the multi tool to remove approx half off the welded nut. I could only remove half off it as there's a slight up curve on the subframe stopping me completely cutting the whole nut off flush with the subframe. My mate drove me to the DIY and shop and i bought myself a bolt and a captive nut (with blue ring insìde). The bolt i got was long enough to go all the way through the mount and about 10mm through the welded nut which aloud me to get the new nut between the steering rack and on top of the new bolt. I put the mount in place, put my new bolt in and tightened the new nut up (without snapping it). Then i put the gearbòx bracket back on and put the bolt that's secures the mount to the bracket and tightened it up.
50,000 miles
EGR Blank and Delete
K&N Pannel filter
JumpingJacks
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby JumpingJacks » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:01 pm

Thought I should say the only reason I snapped this bolt in the first place as I had just finished changing the Top gear box mount successfully and i thought maybe the lòwer mount bolt was loose as i had been getting a loud vibration noise from under the van and it seemed clunky when using the clutch whilst driving. Weird the bolt snapped though as I torqued the top mount up sucssfuly.

Well today I've done a 150 mile round trip and have noticed improvements.

The clutch feels amazing. The clunky noise has gone along with the vibration noise I had between the 1700_2000 rpm. The van feels much better to drive than it has been for a long time. Also my MPG has gone up from 38 too 48 MPG (mix of A roads and moterways)

I took some pics whilst I done all this work but I couldn't upload them as it said they were too big (2mb). I'm no good with computers and I'm using my phone and have no idea how to make the files smaller so I can upload them. If anyone can advise me I'll upload them for future refernce in case it helps someone in the future

Cheers
50,000 miles
EGR Blank and Delete
K&N Pannel filter
JumpingJacks
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Connect