*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Difference between SWB and LWB steering rack

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Difference between SWB and LWB steering rack

Postby yahuwel » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:42 pm

Hi Blokes,

I made specially an account to ask this question because after searching for 3 days (including this forum :) ), i still haven't found what the difference of the SWB and LWB steering racks could be. I have found that some partswebsites mention the LWB version housing is made of aluminum, could this be it? Also i don't see any difference between the version until 2006 and updated version from 2006 onwards, the pipes looks exactly the same. When i search for trackrods or trackrod ends of an SWB or LWB version, they're the also the same on partswebsites, don't see any difference in lenght or whatever. The Ford Transit Connect is LHD :). Please can an expert clarify it for me? I would be extremely thankful, thanks in advance.

Greetings, Sonny.
yahuwel

Re: Difference between SWB and LWB steering rack

Postby mrtn » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:37 pm

I also ordered a refurbished one from ebay which was listed as SWB. Apart from being a sh*t product (started leaking in two years) everything matched.
1.6 Ecoboost A/T LWB '16
mrtn
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby yahuwel » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:44 pm

mrtn wrote:I also ordered a refurbished one from ebay which was listed as SWB. Apart from being a sh*t product (started leaking in two years) everything matched.

Thanks a million for your reply, this is what i needed. :D I guess the swb version will fit then.
yahuwel

Postby mrtn » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:14 pm

I hope so. It worked for me.
1.6 Ecoboost A/T LWB '16
mrtn
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby yahuwel » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:27 pm

mrtn wrote:I hope so. It worked for me.

Thanks again mate, you really helped me out. Some scrappers said they're all the same but i needed to hear it from someone who has really fitted a swb version on a lwb. Now there are plenty steering racks to choose from. Still can't understand why there's in some webshops an extreme price difference between the two, i'm talking about a difference of several hundreds...
yahuwel

Postby mrtn » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:04 pm

Some places show the price only for an exchange rack. So you need to return your old rack to get the price listed.
1.6 Ecoboost A/T LWB '16
mrtn
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby NC53 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:57 pm

I have also been trying to find out what is the difference between the SWB and LWB steering rack. They physically look identical, however I think it is the turning circle. SWB is 3.25 turns whereas the LWB is 2.75 turns. Whether interchanging them will actually make any difference I don’t know but probably best to get the correct one.
NC53
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Kenton » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:02 pm

NC53 wrote:I have also been trying to find out what is the difference between the SWB and LWB steering rack. They physically look identical, however I think it is the turning circle. SWB is 3.25 turns whereas the LWB is 2.75 turns. Whether interchanging them will actually make any difference I don’t know but probably best to get the correct one.

It is indeed the amount of turns. I have recently replaced mine. The other difference MAYBE is the steering column connection. I ordered an eBay one - big mistake! Wrong connection. Sent it back, and ordered one from a motor factors via the garage using the reg number and confirmation of steering turns from boss. Do yourself a favour and buy a reputable replacement.
Hope this helps mate,
All the best with it.
K
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights