*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

07 Connect Not Cranking

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

07 Connect Not Cranking

Postby Floatmender » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:27 am

The starter relay in engine fuse box does not energise when key is turned to cranking position, all lights on dash stay on, milage reads 88888888, immobiliser light working correctly, battery checks out with heavy duty tester.
Power is getting to relay coil but not will not energise. I put a test light from the other side of the relay coil to earth and it lit up when I turned the key and starter motor started cranking.
I removed the test light and it stopped cranking.
Any suggestions will be welcome.
Floatmender

Re: 07 Connect Not Cranking

Postby Kenton » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:50 pm

Would be worth changing the relay first. If not, it sounds like it could be an earth problem. Maybe inspect your earth connection from the battery onward's. Take the relay out and make sure the connections are free from corrosion / contamination as well.
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Floatmender » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:18 pm

Connect 2.jpg
Floatmender wrote:The starter relay in engine fuse box does not energise when key is turned to cranking position, all lights on dash stay on, milage reads 88888888, immobiliser light working correctly, battery checks out with heavy duty tester.
Power is getting to relay coil but not will not energise. I put a test light from the other side of the relay coil to earth and it lit up when I turned the key and starter motor started cranking.
I removed the test light and it stopped cranking.
Any suggestions will be welcome.

I've checked for continuity between R22 coil and ECU and its fine.

Still looking for suggestions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Floatmender

Postby Ray Budgen » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:12 pm

Hi on the 21st of last month I had to replace starter motor put it on next day worked ok,about 3 weeks later the same thing happened,got a new exchange motor about a week ago and it worked ok.Went to drive it today the same thing happened again.Has anyone an idea what's happening,Look forward to hearing from someone.
Ray Budgen

Postby Floatmender » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:04 pm

Ray Budgen wrote:Hi on the 21st of last month I had to replace starter motor put it on next day worked ok,about 3 weeks later the same thing happened,got a new exchange motor about a week ago and it worked ok.Went to drive it today the same thing happened again.Has anyone an idea what's happening,Look forward to hearing from someone.

Does the starters solenoid click when you turn the key to crank
Floatmender

Postby Floatmender » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:11 pm

Kenton wrote:Would be worth changing the relay first. If not, it sounds like it could be an earth problem. Maybe inspect your earth connection from the battery onward's. Take the relay out and make sure the connections are free from corrosion / contamination as well.

Turns out its the ECU. I didn't notice at first but the immobiliser light (the red one) is flashing out a fault code I had to wait with ign turned on for about one minute then it flashed twice paused then three 2-3 which means * ECU ID mismatch (duff ECU)* so Ive got to get a man in with electronic gizmos to sort it out.
Floatmender

Return to Transit Connect