*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine beam.

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Re: Engine beam.

Postby Piglet » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:03 am

Thems the buggers.
the photo reminds why I could sneak an offset ring spanner down behind for the hex but couldn't get in with a Torx
I have got flexi-heads but didn't use them so I guess not.
The Torx had to be done from underneath through a tiny hole in the lower crank case. Bit like the Gyno painting his hallway joke, only less funny.
The lower half moon shape of the casing and the 2 horizontal flats either side, sit on the crankcase rubber seal. The gasket goes behind.
I spent a lot of time with solvent de-greasing the seals & whole area so that the glue stood half a chance.
I also made sure I bought the proper stuff as specified for the sump.
Loctite 5980 Premium Black Silicone

Other than the offending gasket (Ford 1078522) I can't think what else there is you can change.
Piglet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Piglet » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:09 am

Fuel pump gasket 1094599
Piglet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Boghopper » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:55 am

It sounds like a nightmare. If you did it again would you think of any specific tool that would aid you, mini ratchet spanners, etc?

So, you are saying you accessed them from inside the sump?

If it was so difficult removing them it must have been even worse putting them back in again?
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Piglet » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:46 pm

It was a nightmare and I was way out of my depth, but, lots of time, thought & prep and it came good.

Yes, through the sump, there is no way to get that Torx screw with the sump on.
I couldn't have got the Torx without the small bit I had which I think came out of a screwdriver set. My 3/8" drive Torx was too big.
As I remember once I got it moving I used a variety of Allen keys to finish it.
After the event my son bought me a set of Allen key style Torx drives which might have been good. You know, L shaped things.

Putting back I had the advantage of knowing what I had to do and could have a few dry runs.
I moved everything out the way, PS tank, belt tensioner, all pipes & cables were tied back.
Oh and that short coolant pipe onto the back of the housing by the fuel pump was a right slag as well, but I didn't have spring clamp pliers then. I do now.
Think I ended up removing it completely then refitting it after the housing was back on.
Piglet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Boghopper » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:56 pm

Well, you couldn't have been that far out of your depth because you managed it, and I might add, without all the equipment available in a garage. Coming from a motorbike background I do not think these things are particulary well thought out. I mean, why don't these sump pipes detach from within the timing chain case? Too much bloody thought and time on Ford's part, that's why.

Oh and that short coolant pipe onto the back of the housing by the fuel pump was a right slag as well

Yep, I've already clocked that little git hiding away. That's a knuckle skinner that one.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Piglet » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:04 pm

Boghopper wrote: I mean, why don't these sump pipes detach from within the timing chain case?

Designed for the assembly line.
I guess the development brief is to make all service items reasonably accessibly (OIL FILTER!!!!) and anything more involved will be an engine replacement anyway.
Old blokes in sheds with vehicles that are past their design service life are not worthy of commercial consideration.
Piglet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Boghopper » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:59 am

You know, looking at the mating faces of that timing chain cover, on the picture I posted. One can clearly see that all the faces are bright and clean, all except for the waterpump mating face which is very grotty and oxidised (water and oxygen). I reckon these gaskets are weeping a great deal of the time once the engine mount bracket has been removed. The face on the waterpump part is completely different to the rest of the faces.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Boghopper » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:15 pm

I have got back to it today. I am cannot remove the rear case, it's like it's held on with a bolt down near the crank. I have scoured all the available Ford manuals and it only ever mentions five bolts to remove it, but mine is held by something else and I cannot see for the life of me, just what. I am wondering whether the old gasket has it held and won't let it go, but it seems to be a pretty strong grip if it has. I cannot see any locating dowels on the diagrams. It all seems pretty lose except for this one area. This case could be snapped very easy if it is too stressed.Image
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Boghopper » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Another hour, still won't move. Have total access to it now from the rear, front and sides and have studied every area of it and cannot see anything holding it. I am wondering if this has anything to do with the gasket failing initially and the water leaking.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Piglet » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:50 pm

You got the 2 pipes off?
Piglet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Boghopper » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:32 pm

Yes, I have them removed and the top pipe. The case seems to be stuck just to the right of the crank, around the chain tensioner bolt mounts. I have stripped everything away, but it will not move.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Piglet » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:41 pm

Isn't there a bolt from underneath on the corner, can't remember.
Piglet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Piglet » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:45 pm

image 75325 Bolts 13 or 14 or both

http://workshop-manuals.com/ford/mondeo ... tdci_(lynx)_diesel/description_and_operation/diagnosis_and_testing/general_procedures/removal_and_installation/removal/disassembly/assembly/engine/
Last edited by Piglet on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piglet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Boghopper » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:53 pm

Piglet, can you post the image as the link doesn't work?
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Piglet » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:54 pm

http://workshop-manuals.com/ford/mondeo_2007.5_02.2007/
mechanical_repairs/3_powertrain/303_engine/
303-01e_engine_1.8l_duratorq-tdci_(lynx_diesel/description_and_operation/
diagnosis_and_testing/general_procedures/removal_and_installation/
removal/disassembly/assembly/engine/
Piglet
Transit Aficionado