*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Battery draining overnight

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Battery draining overnight

Postby farghi » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:55 pm

Good evening All.. I have an issue with battery drain.
I've fitted new alternator
fitted new battery
Now alternator charges battery at 14.7 volts
Overnight the battery has discharged
Removed negative feed from battery connected ammeter to negative lead and now removed negative battery lead
With nothing turned on ignition off reading 10.7 amp draw!
Removed fuses from aux fuse box in engine bay it's the green 3rd fuse down causing draw it's rated at 30 amps.
I cannot find a fuse diagram or circuit diagram to trace further the culprit chasing the problem
Any advice gratefully received
farghi
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Battery draining overnight

Postby liteace » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:15 pm

3rd fuse down should be fuse 3, 30 amp, if it is its the feeds for fuses 31, 33, 46, 59 & 63 in the interior fuse box

Looks like its going to be, if fitted, a central locking problem, trailer socket or audio as fuses 33 and 59 are only 7.5 amp
Please don't send me PM's, i can't access them, when I try I get this:

You are not authorised to send private messages
liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby farghi » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:48 pm

liteace wrote:3rd fuse down should be fuse 3, 30 amp, if it is its the feeds for fuses 31, 33, 46, 59 & 63 in the interior fuse box

Looks like its going to be, if fitted, a central locking problem, trailer socket or audio as fuses 33 and 59 are only 7.5 amp
Thank you very much, I'll now isolate those big amp user fuses! Let's see what happens! Will let you know!

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk
farghi
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby farghi » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:47 am

farghi wrote:
liteace wrote:3rd fuse down should be fuse 3, 30 amp, if it is its the feeds for fuses 31, 33, 46, 59 & 63 in the interior fuse box

Thank you very much, I'll now isolate those big amp user fuses! Let's see what happens! Will let you know!

OK festivities over I've dived into the fuses with a new multimeter. 1.3 amp draw on test.
Two fuses on board behind glove box indicated on the photo below .2 amp and .7 amp draw.
The larger draw was from the audio unit
Now this has been salvaged from and old Mondeo it's the Sony single cd disc model
Had been working fine but for some reason it draws .7amp on standby ...could be wiring is different to Transit Connect. There is no cd stuck in mechanism.Image

farghi
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby farghi » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:00 am

farghi wrote:
farghi wrote:

OK festivities over I've dived into the fuses with a new multimeter. 1.3 amp draw on test.
Two fuses on board behind glove box indicated on the photo below .2 amp and .7 amp draw.
The larger draw was from the audio unit
Now this has been salvaged from and old Mondeo it's the Sony single cd disc model
Had been working fine but for some reason it draws .7amp on standby ...could be wiring is different to Transit Connect. There is no cd stuck in mechanism.Image

Update......disconnected the audio last night after parking van up...dead as a dodo this morning?
So any ideas/thoughts I could try?

farghi
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby liteace » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:50 pm

what number fuses are they, the pic's a bit crap, 700ma is far to much, did you pull the fuse for the audio or disconnect the unit? have you checked the central locking? I think fuse 63
Please don't send me PM's, i can't access them, when I try I get this:

You are not authorised to send private messages
liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby farghi » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:38 pm

liteace wrote:what number fuses are they, the pic's a bit crap, 700ma is far to much, did you pull the fuse for the audio or disconnect the unit? have you checked the central locking? I think fuse 63
Thanks for the reply, I disconnected the audio unit. There doesn't appear to be numbers on my fuse board or cover. The picture shown is of the fuse panel behind the glove box

farghi
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby farghi » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:39 pm

farghi wrote:
liteace wrote:what number fuses are they, the pic's a bit crap, 700ma is far to much, did you pull the fuse for the audio or disconnect the unit? have you checked the central locking? I think fuse 63
Thanks for the reply, I disconnected the audio unit. There doesn't appear to be numbers on my fuse board or cover. The picture shown is of the fuse panel behind the glove box

Do you have a number schematic of the fuse box?

farghi
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby farghi » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:28 pm

farghi wrote:
farghi wrote:

Do you have a number schematic of the fuse box?

I forgot to mention I removed 30 amp fuse in main under bonnet fuse board. Battery drained overnight. So now totally confused. This was the fuse on which there was the big drain!

farghi
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:30 am

They can drain back to earth, through a faulty alternator regulator diode. Try unplugging the alternator overnight and see if it still drains :idea:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby farghi » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:29 am

Altransit wrote:They can drain back to earth, through a faulty alternator regulator diode. Try unplugging the alternator overnight and see if it still drains :idea:
It's a new alternator ! Will check tonight though grrr!

farghi
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby farghi » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:30 am

farghi wrote:
Altransit wrote:They can drain back to earth, through a faulty alternator regulator diode. Try unplugging the alternator overnight and see if it still drains :idea:
It's a new alternator ! Will check tonight though grrr!

The big or little wire?

farghi
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby farghi » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:32 am

Thank you

farghi
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Boghopper » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:35 pm

I know it might be silly, but do you have mice/rats kicking about where you live? They can chew the wires and cause direct shorts somewhere along the loom.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Lebara » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:49 pm

Hello,

I also have trouble with battery draining overnight, I did parasitic test and checked that too much power is going to fuse F48 7,5A. Can someone tell me for which thing is that fuse?
Lebara

Next

Return to Transit Connect