*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

starting issue

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

starting issue

Postby scruf0_5 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:17 pm

hey guys
got a bit of a problem with starting
just fitted new clutch everything went well fired up perfect run for a week after no problems at all
last friday started fine in the morning started fine couple other times then i stalled it and restarted straight away
when returned to van couple hours later wouldnt start (had to bump start it )(battery light was on while driving!!)
on closer inspection the power lead from the starter motor to the alternator was corroded and barely connected
made complete new wire from battery onwards
went to turn it over and still nothing!! bump started again (battery light on while running)(turned off after cpl mins) and tried to start it and fired up lovely as normal
took i t for a little run turned it off and started it again (yay problem fixed) got home turned off then again wouldnt start (ie turn over on starter motor)
starter motor does not click when turn the key !!
battery is around 6-8 months old starter motor is around 4 months old wiring is about 1 hour old

any addvice would be great
thanks in advance
scruf0_5

Re: starting issue

Postby paul2012 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:27 pm

Re-check battery make sure it's fully charged also check earth strap from battery to engine.

Connects have a smart charge circuit & it's common for smart charge wiring loom running to alternator to corrode internally. Resulting in Bat light remaining on, although battery is still being charged.

Make sure there's 14.4v present when engine is running, of not. Possibly alternator or alternator coupling shaft has failed.
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: starting issue

Postby scruf0_5 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:44 pm

hey guys thought i would follow up from my previous message
the starting issues are sorted after replacing/cleaning several parts
i had to make a new power cable from battery to starter (didnt fix problem)
checked out all other cables
turned out to be a dodgy earth from the starter motor
after hours of meddling took 30 seconds to undo a couple of nuts clean up the terminals bolt back on job done
scruf0_5

Return to Transit Connect