*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Rear drum removal.

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Rear drum removal.

Postby Boghopper » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:28 pm

Have tried everything today to try and remove the rear drums. They spin freely but will not come off due to the ridge on the inner of the drum. slackening off the handbrake cable does nothing, loosening off the bleed nipple does nothing, levering does nothing, beating with a mallet does nothing. There is a bung on the rear plate but it only allows access to the handbrake cable arm on the shoe, levering this does nothing even with the bleed nipple slackened. The shoes simply won't move past the ridge because the tensioner inside cannot be disengaged. Why did Ford not make a window on the rear to disengage the tensioner, are they that dense or just malicious? All you can lever against is the back plate which is easily damaged if to much force is put upon it and cleverly, to buy off Ford, costs £130.00 (each side). Any ideas? None of this would happen if there was a chamfer machined onto the inner drum so no ridge can build up as wear takes place, but I suppose it would cost Ford an extra 20 pence per drum to do.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Rear drum removal.

Postby axxeman » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:55 pm

Boghopper wrote:Have tried everything today to try and remove the rear drums. They spin freely but will not come off due to the ridge on the inner of the drum. slackening off the handbrake cable does nothing, loosening off the bleed nipple does nothing, levering does nothing, beating with a mallet does nothing. There is a bung on the rear plate but it only allows access to the handbrake cable arm on the shoe, levering this does nothing even with the bleed nipple slackened. The shoes simply won't move past the ridge because the tensioner inside cannot be disengaged. Why did Ford not make a window on the rear to disengage the tensioner, are they that dense or just malicious? All you can lever against is the back plate which is easily damaged if to much force is put upon it and cleverly, to buy off Ford, costs £130.00 (each side). Any ideas? None of this would happen if there was a chamfer machined onto the inner drum so no ridge can build up as wear takes place, but I suppose it would cost Ford an extra 20 pence per drum to do.

Odd ... mine (04) has a window in each backplate that you can get a small screwdriver through and wind the adjuster back in. Fiddly yes, but doable.
axxeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Boghopper » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:18 pm

Which window on here? Cheers.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Boghopper » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:47 pm

I was full of hope seeing that oval window and thought I might have missed it, but unfortunately it is for the ABS, which mine has.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxeman » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:45 pm

That's odd - I must have dreamed it. Sorry. I had a small grommet below the bleed nipple and near the middle of the plate. To be fair, my chap took the drums off and did the adjustment as he was fitting new shoes at the time. Mine has ABS also. 04 plate.

Hope that you get it sorted. I know what you mean about getting it off as the first time that I did it I used two large screwdrivers at 12 and 6 o'clock and levered it back over the shoes with a rocking motion. It's a longshot but you might try to use needle nose pliers to rotate the locking pins which would then allow the shoes to collapse as the drum comes off. Springs everywhere! Such fun (NOT).
axxeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Boghopper » Wed May 09, 2018 11:56 am

I had to drill out the two shoe retaining pins, unscrew the brake hose from the cylinder then undo the two cylinder bolts, and drag the whole lot off with the drum. The shoes were still trapped at the bottom though which took another hour to free them. I cannot believe, that in 2018, I am having to do go to these lengths to just get the drums off, it's bordering on bloody degenerate. Why isn't there a window in the brake plate, with a bung in it, and a simple tensioner that can be disengaged? Ford, at the cutting edge of technology. If I remember, even a bloody Volkswagon Beetle had that setup on their rear drums in 1967.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Connect