*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

cambering leaf springa

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

cambering leaf springa

Postby king_brilliant » Fri May 11, 2018 8:51 pm

Hi guys,
I want to get the van lowered, and from what i've seen i think that 40mm is about right..Anyway i was wondering about pros and cons of the axle flip method vs altering/re-profiling the rear springs...
Would it be possible to lower the rear by 40mm from adjusting the rear springs??
A positive from flipping the axle of course would be the adjustability..
There's loads of info about this topic but there is an equal amount of disagreement about what type of front springs etc..Anyway, i welcome your thoughts.
king_brilliant

Re: cambering leaf springa

Postby Kenton » Sat May 12, 2018 12:23 pm

From personal experience, re-cambering the leaf springs works very well. The company i went to specializes in leaf spring replacement and re-cambering. They told me that my van could be lowered at the resent a max of 4 inches. I went for 2". I can still carry a full load of pa equipment and it handles fine. If you go lower than me, the bump stops need to be cut down (which the company SHOULD do for you) and you may need to fit lowering shocks to the rear. The front of my van is lowered by 35mm so i wanted to get as close to that as poss, but still have a perfectly usable van. I paid £250 for my leaf springs to be done which included all new rubbers, bushes, bolts, nuts, and washers AND they even blasted the surface rust off and blew them over with some satin black! They guy doing the work actually found that one of my springs had a hairline fracture, so they replaced it with a new one - fitted, for £70. Good service all round and i am very happy with the result. Some may think it isn't low enough, but for every day use, it's perfect.
K
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Kenton » Sun May 13, 2018 3:41 pm

Also, you don't mention what year or size your van is. Which ever it is the re-cambering of the rear leaf springs is possible. The FRONT springs are much easier. Mine are a set of mk1 focus 1.8 tdci 35mm lowering springs - and are a direct replacement (for my 2005 mk1 lwb) I will need to replace the front shocks with lowered ones at some point, as the ride could be improved, but for the time being, it's fine for me.
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby king_brilliant » Tue May 15, 2018 12:01 am

thanks for the reply.
The van is a 2008 Sportvan...I'd like to lower it by 40mm if that's possible..I'm guessing that standard Mk1 Focus springs will lower it by that amount (?)...
Can the cambering drop the rears by an equal amount do you know?
I know i can use the axle method by i believe i'd need the Gaz lowering shocks as it will bottom out on OEM shocks...
Cheers
king_brilliant

Return to Transit Connect