*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2006 Transit Connect fuel problems

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

2006 Transit Connect fuel problems

Postby TheFlea » Thu May 17, 2018 5:56 pm

I have bought a 2nd hand 2006 Transit Connect, 1.8tdci 75PS - planning to do a DIY convertion and turn it into a campervan. The van is a great wee runner but I haven't been able to get more than a half tank of diesel into the van. When I try to fill up at the pump, the pump clicks off almost immediately. I've tried at different pumps, different petrol stations and also tried pumping slow :roll: but nothing seems to work and in my last attempt I ended up with diesel spilling down the side of the van despite only having put in £3 worth of fuel.

I took the van to the local garage who checked out the breather and filler lines for me, they said they were clear and then came up with a statement that went along the lines of 'its a design fault with these vans'. I'm not the most mechanically minded person, but it seems to me that if there was some sort of design flaw that prevented these vans from taking more than a half tank of petrol then I'm sure I'd be hearing about it on car and van forums such as this one.

So, my initial question is, has anyone else heard of this model of transit connect having problems filling up the tank? My second question is, could anyone please give me some suggestions as to how I could go about getting this fixed.

thanks in advance.
TheFlea

Re: 2006 Transit Connect fuel problems

Postby Kenton » Fri May 18, 2018 7:21 pm

Maybe the fuel sender, or the dash clock not telling you the truth! I would pop to the local scrappy and pick up a cheap used unit and test. If you are more mechanically minded, then test the resistance of the signal coming to the fuel clock. Just my tuppence worth.
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: 2006 Transit Connect fuel problems

Postby TheFlea » Sat May 26, 2018 10:40 am

Thanks very much for the reply - have been trying to do more testing to see if I can understand what is happening.

Drove 80miles - fuel gauge goes down one quarter notch - filled up, got about £9 fuel into the tank - gauge back up to halfway
Drove back 80 miles - fuel gauge goes down to quarter tank - filled up, got about £7-8 into the tank - gauge back up to halfway

Tried the tester mode options - the one where you press dash clock in and switch ignition on - gauge check sees the needle swing all the way over to full and back again.

Will be phoning a few garages next week to see if any of them have heard of this kind of problem and are prepared to spend some time trying to work out how to fix it.
TheFlea

Return to Transit Connect