*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Uncoupling steering column from steering rack

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Uncoupling steering column from steering rack

Postby yahuwel » Wed May 23, 2018 6:43 pm

Hi Fellas,

Today i have been busy replacing a Ford Transit Connect steering rack, everything went fine so far. The question i have is how to undo the steering column from the rack. I have loosened the joint at the pedals but the rack won't come out (no surprise really). I have to loosen the other bolt thats beneath the big plastic cap that is mounted on the outside of the car, which protects the joint and column i guess. Problem i have, how to get under that cap, its very sturdy? Any help would be very appreciated, thanks in advance.

Greetings, Sunny.
yahuwel

Re: Uncoupling steering column from steering rack

Postby dumper » Wed May 23, 2018 8:30 pm

Not done a connect but remove the bolt completely it runs in a grove in the rack end you may have to put a screw driver in the gap to open up the shaft to pull it off the splines
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby yahuwel » Wed May 23, 2018 9:07 pm

Thanks for the input Dumper. I have decoupled the joint at the pedals, so the steeringwheel and steeringcolumn are clear now. However the piece of joint still sticking out is too big to pull the steering rack from beneath the car. I noticed that there's another bolt, hidden behind the big dustcap and maybe that one has to be loosened. I'm doing this all without a dropped subframe as i've read here on the forum that it's possible, i also have loosened the ARB to get more space. Well, tomorrow i'll have another shot.
yahuwel

Postby dumper » Wed May 23, 2018 11:11 pm

I think it’s no good losesernig the bolt you have to remove the bolt all stearing rack I have done and there are many you have to take the bolt out of the splined / uj their is a grove on the splines that the bolt goes thro on the shaft-to stop the shaft comeing off the rack if bolt comes loose if the grove and the bolt hole are not lined up the bolt will not go in when you re fit the shaft to the rack
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby yahuwel » Thu May 24, 2018 8:41 pm

Well, it did work out finally by uncoupling the uj at the bottom instead of at the steering column (both were discoupled). New steering rack is in place. Today i was thinking, the car is a LHD and with a RHD it seems so much easier because no big transmission in the way. :)
yahuwel

Return to Transit Connect