*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Radiator Fans

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Radiator Fans

Postby notty electrical » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:15 am

Hello All,

I have recently bought a Transit connect LWB HT T230 about a week ago, I've been getting a burning smell (like a cigarette that's been left to burn) inside the cabin and a very hot engine smell from under the bonnet but the temp gauge is in the middle as it should be, I have OBD software which is showing the coolant to be around 82/85 degrees which I'm happy with but still have this smell. I can't see any wires or pipes that are close or touching anything hot from a quick visual from above, but I don't think the cooling fans are coming on automatically, they do turn on when I turn the fans on from the cabin.

Question is which to me sounds like a silly question but, should the cooling fans come on automatically or do they only come on when the fans have been turned on from the twisty knob in the cab?

And does anyone else have this cigarette like smell coming into their cab?
notty electrical
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Radiator Fans

Postby Kenton » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:10 pm

Unless you have air con, the 'engine cooling fan' should not come on when you switch the blowers on. With mine, even in the hot conditions we in the UK we are experiencing now, mine rarely comes on ever - even in traffic. Temp gauge stays bang on half way. When the air con is on, the fan takes a while to make its first appearance, but after that it cuts in and out as you would expect. As far as the cigarette smell goes.... That is a strange one! I would get the wiring checked out, sounds very odd to me with the cooling fan coming on with your dash blowers! Is your van equipped with A/C? If it is, and it doesn't work, that may be the issue, but as there is an air con button, this also does not figure - unless the button has broken and the green light is not illuminating??.... Maybe push the A/C button (if fitted) and see if it makes a difference?.... But in answer to your question, your engine cooling fan certainly should NOT come on with the interrior dash fan control. The cooling fan for the engine is controlled thermostatically. Just my thoughts. Good luck with it mate.

K
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby notty electrical » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:51 pm

Thanks for your reply,

Yeah mine does have air con and it all works well. The fans turn on when the air con is on and if it's off and when using the fan switch. But I drove a whole 30 miles with the fans off and air con off and just had windows open and when I got home I noticed the burning smell but the gauge didn't move but had to turn the engine off to open the bonnet to see and then turn back on again to see if fans would spin and they didn't spin until I turned the fans on and air con on.

Today's journey I had the air con on the whole way 30 miles and there was no cig smell or burning overheating smell.

I'll get someone to check the wiring for the cigarette smell. I quit in January so maybe it's just me craving for one haha.
notty electrical
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Kenton » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:57 pm

Ok, well if you notice the cooling fans coming on only when the a/c is on, then this is perfect normal.
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler