*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

DTC P1201-61 - Injector Circuit Open/Shorted

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

DTC P1201-61 - Injector Circuit Open/Shorted

Postby Saracen » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:40 pm

A couple of weeks ago the van went gutless on me about a mile from home. I managed to limp back home and when I connected FORScan it came up with this error against the number 1 cylinder.

I checked the loom and couldn't see any obvious damage or rub marks. I cleared the DTC and started the van and it was running fine. In fact I did the round trip I had just started (200 miles) and it worked flawlessly the whole way there and back.

Took the van out today and it went gutless a couple of hundred yards up the road.

Limped home and checked the codes and it's the same error against the same cylinder.

I've checked the loom more thoroughly and still can't see anywhere which looks defective, although I've not undone any of the heat tape or hard plastic wrapping. The wires seem clean and tight in the injector plug. I have noticed this is the only cylinder which seems to be a little wet around the return pipe.

Anyway, now when I clear the codes it starts and runs fine for 30 seconds or so, then gets progressively rougher until the dash light comes on and I'm back to three cylinders.

I'm erring towards this being a wiring issue, rather than the injector, as it's done quite a few miles since the first time it errored, but could it be the injector being intermittent ?

I've ordered a second hand loom from eBay so I can gauge how easy it will be to swap that over. If it runs with the new one I can tear down the old one and see if I can locate the short/break.
Saracen
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: DTC P1201-61 - Injector Circuit Open/Shorted

Postby Kenton » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:07 pm

What was the error code? May help people a bit more mate.
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Saracen » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:48 pm

The code's in the title ;-)

Code: P1201 - Cylinder No. 1 Injector Circuit Open/Shorted

Additional Fault Symptom:
- Signal is Above Maximum Threshold

- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Powertrain Control Module

Diagnostic Trouble Code details
Cylinder No. 1 Injector Circuit Open/Shorted

This DTC may be caused by :
Wiring Harness Short to Battery or Short to Ground
Injector open/short circuit to ground.
Injector open/short circuit
Saracen
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Saracen » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:01 pm

Replaced the loom and although it started fine, as soon as I tried to drive it, the error returned.

So I guess it needs a new injector :-(
Saracen
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Kenton » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:18 pm

Sorry about the error on my last post, i really should put my glasses on! Does sound very much like the injector. Just replaced mine with re-cons after similar symptoms, and it is sweet as. Pulls hard and is smooth as silk when started in the morning's - with no smoke to be seen any time! Happy man.
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Saracen » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:23 pm

Turns out this was an intermittent short between the piezo and the injector case.

Replaced by the local garage with a new Siemens unit and all's well again.

Apart from the fact the engine seems to vibrate more at lower revs (under 2k) than it did before, so I'm wondering if it would be worth doing the other three now ?

Replacing this one cost £412 fitted at the local garage. Even if I were to fit them myself, three more from pfjones would another £500, so is it likely to be worth it ?

Van pulls away OK, and seems to cruise on the motorway at 70 OK.
Saracen
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby karl » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:17 pm

Saracen wrote:Turns out this was an intermittent short between the piezo and the injector case.

Replaced by the local garage with a new Siemens unit and all's well again.

Apart from the fact the engine seems to vibrate more at lower revs (under 2k) than it did before, so I'm wondering if it would be worth doing the other three now ?

Replacing this one cost £412 fitted at the local garage. Even if I were to fit them myself, three more from pfjones would another £500, so is it likely to be worth it ?

Van pulls away OK, and seems to cruise on the motorway at 70 OK.

HOW MUCH FOR ONE :shock: fitted the robbing twats
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby Kenton » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:19 am

Yeah, i got a quote with 20% discount and ford wanted after tax nearly 250 quid each still - just for the part. Got all my re-cons for £380 something.
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Saracen » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:59 pm

Injector was £187.50, plus two hours labour at £56 and a diagnostic check at £40, all plus VAT.
Saracen
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby axxeman » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:27 am

Saracen wrote:Injector was £187.50, plus two hours labour at £56 and a diagnostic check at £40, all plus VAT.

Jesus that seems high mate. Admittedly, mine are Delphi and need coding but the first two I took to a guy to do and he charged me £30 for the job which took him less than 60 minutes (including coding in). The second two, which I bought later (cash flow etc), I did myself having watched the process. It was very easy and took me an hour. I used FORScan to code them in. Costs approx were;

£380 for 4 refurbished injectors from P F Jones
£30 labour for first two
£10 for new clamp bolts
£15 for FORScan OBD cable

Total £425

Runs so much better now and fuel mpg has increased by nearly 10% so they'll pay for themselves in about 2 years.

Greg
axxeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Kenton » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:43 pm

Attached is my quote from my local Ford parts counter - for ONE Delphi injector! :shock: :lol: :lol: :|
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kenton on Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby axxeman » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:02 pm

axxeman wrote:
Saracen wrote:Injector was £187.50, plus two hours labour at £56 and a diagnostic check at £40, all plus VAT.

Jesus that seems high mate. Admittedly, mine are Delphi and need coding but the first two I took to a guy to do and he charged me £30 for the job which took him less than 60 minutes (including coding in). The second two, which I bought later (cash flow etc), I did myself having watched the process. It was very easy and took me an hour. I used FORScan to code them in. Costs approx were;

£380 for 4 refurbished injectors from P F Jones
£30 labour for first two
£10 for new clamp bolts
£15 for FORScan OBD cable

Total £425

Runs so much better now and fuel mpg has increased by nearly 10% so they'll pay for themselves in about 2 years.

Greg

Just look at my shitty arithmetic - £435!
axxeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxeman » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:03 pm

Kenton wrote:Attached is my quote from my local parts counter - for ONE Delphi injector! :shock: :lol: :lol: :|

At least Ned Kelly wore a hood!
axxeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Kenton » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:04 pm

axxeman wrote:
Kenton wrote:Attached is my quote from my local parts counter - for ONE Delphi injector! :shock: :lol: :lol: :|

At least Ned Kelly wore a hood!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Innit just mate!
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Incauto_ » Sun May 23, 2021 1:16 pm

Saracen wrote:A couple of weeks ago the van went gutless on me about a mile from home. I managed to limp back home and when I connected FORScan it came up with this error against the number 1 cylinder.

I checked the loom and couldn't see any obvious damage or rub marks. I cleared the DTC and started the van and it was running fine. In fact I did the round trip I had just started (200 miles) and it worked flawlessly the whole way there and back.

Took the van out today and it went gutless a couple of hundred yards up the road.

Limped home and checked the codes and it's the same error against the same cylinder.

I've checked the loom more thoroughly and still can't see anywhere which looks defective, although I've not undone any of the heat tape or hard plastic wrapping. The wires seem clean and tight in the injector plug. I have noticed this is the only cylinder which seems to be a little wet around the return pipe.

Anyway, now when I clear the codes it starts and runs fine for 30 seconds or so, then gets progressively rougher until the dash light comes on and I'm back to three cylinders.

I'm erring towards this being a wiring issue, rather than the injector, as it's done quite a few miles since the first time it errored, but could it be the injector being intermittent ?

I've ordered a second hand loom from eBay so I can gauge how easy it will be to swap that over. If it runs with the new one I can tear down the old one and see if I can locate the short/break.

I have the same problem, same DTC, when I clean DTC it fixes for a few kilometers but it happens again.

I have changed the injector and the fault continues to appear

The wiring seems fine, any ideas?
Incauto_

Return to Transit Connect