*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Turbo rattle?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Turbo rattle?

Postby highroof » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:56 pm

Hi. My '59 plate 110 Limited has today started to make a rattling noise. I first assumed this was the 'box, but after a period of time experimenting with it, I think it might be the turbo, which is a VNT item. If I sit in 3rd gear at around 1800 rpm and gently throttle on and off, it's most noticeable. As I understand it, this is where the turbo starts to spin. However, just to confuse the issue, I checked for play in the turbo shaft this afternoon and can find none. It has to be under load to make the noise, it won't do it when stationary and revved.

The van drives as if nothing is wrong, other than the rattle. However, I'm concerned that if the turbo is at fault and the worst happens, it takes the engine with it.

Is the turbo the most likely thing for it to be? The van's done 47k miles, and has full service history, plus oil and filter changes every 5k miles.

Cheers, Andy.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Turbo rattle?

Postby Kenton » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:06 pm

Whilst the turbo spindle seems fine, are you sure it isn't clutch chatter? Maybe from an over heated / over worked clutch plate? If you have owned this van from new, by all means discount this. But i bought mine and it had spent it's life in south London stuck at slow speeds with constant stop - go, so the whole clutch needed a change. Don't wish that as it's expensive being a dual-mass bugger.. could be a loose heat shield thinking about it....
Just a couple of thoughts.
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby highroof » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:39 pm

Thanks for the reply. I've been through the whole list I could think of with it today. I went around underneath it with a rubber hammer banging various things, including the exhaust, and checked all the shields. We talked about the DMF, but it doesn't make any noise on idle, I thought they usually did?

I'm scared to drive the bloody thing now in case the turbo lets go! I was wondering if there was anything specific in the way a the VNT works that would cause it to do this.

The turbo on my Evo 8 let go last year, I was very lucky to get away with no other damage, given the nature of the failure.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby highroof » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:15 pm

So, this sis getting worse quite quickly, which in some respects is good, as the nature of it developing means I can rule out the turbo. Having spent ages looking for someone with a similar experience, it's starting to sound like the dog bone gearbox mount has gone. It's a metal to metal sound, if I drive very gently up through the revs, I can avoid it happening. Absolutely no noise at motorway speeds. Driving it normally through the gears brings the noise on every time.

It's started to do it at lower revs now, just as I pull away, which rules out the turbo.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Kenton » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:42 pm

The gearbox mount you speak of is very easy to diagnose, and quite ok price wise for a replacement! (very common fault) I have done mine - which was sheared in two! But it did make the world of difference. Not too tricky to replace either, providing you have access to ramps, or a very good trolley jack and an axle stand to lean the gearbox onto. It is very simple to examine, before attempting any work mate.
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby highroof » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:01 pm

Cheers for that, replaced it this morning and ii's fixed it, so I'm a happy bunny. £56 for the mount from Ford, so not a disaster price wise.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Connect