*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

1.8 Tdci water pump not working

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

1.8 Tdci water pump not working

Postby masterslamma » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:49 pm

Hi,

i got a 2002 1.8 tdci with 200k miles.

Some weeks ago my cabin heater did not blow warm air anymore.... so i sarted searching and found that all my water lines in the engine bay stay cold or only medium warm, Radiator is also always ice cold even after fast motorway drive or longer uphill.
Strangely the water themp never got over middle, but it reaches middle temp now much faster then before.

I got some pressure on the cooling system, but when i pull the small lines on the coolant tank while the engine is running, the pressure releases but then no more coolant flow.

So i think my water pump, should be still the first from 2002, is not pumping anymore. What is strange to me that the water temperature newer gets over middle, i am driving since 1000 miles like this. I can go do 10 minutes with 100mph+ and temp gouge stays middle.

I would thought that the engine should run hot, or do this engines run that cold?

I just want to be sure that its the water pump before i start ripping it all appart. If the water pump is really not working this 1.8 tdci engines are absolutely bulletproof.

Best regards
masterslamma
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 1.8 Tdci water pump not working

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:47 pm

well it has warmed up a bit since a few weeks ago .

And it is hard to diagnose temperature related symptoms in the winter.

Yes, generally they are over cooled.

2002 is super old ...22 years old, so probably needs maintenance ...--- cheapest solution first .

Follow in the order of this post.

What i would do is: give the system a good flush.... first turn dial to hot , then follow the heater pipes in the engine bay and pull them off in a way that you can flush in both directions. think one goes through the egr and oil cooler.......just find the ends that easiest to get at. think there is one heater pipe connection on the gearbox side of the cylinder head. - around the back

Take the radiator hoses off as well

just flush and flush some more ... from the bottom to top ..from the top to bottom

put it back together ..fill it up with cheap antifreeze mix.(just a in case there are more problems later)
..then . you'll probably get your heater back .

if not ....replace thermostat together with housing ..why the housing? ..because it will be brittle plastic and will bust as soon as you touch it.

while you are there replace temperature sensor if housing does not come with one.

That may solve it ...if not :

water pump - does it use water
- if so, locate the water pump and look carefully at it ...around it ..for drips or evidence of leaks .....if so replace pump.

There have been stories were the pump impeller has come loose on the shaft...but don't worry about that until you've done the above.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby masterslamma » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:59 pm

Hi Mark,

thank you, tbh i do not think flushing will help. Because my heater worked fine and one moment later its wasnt. Thats why i think its more a mechanical problem, maybe the termostat as you also mentioned, but even if this is stuck, the heater still should work.

I just read the ford oem water pumps have plastic impellers. The car has still the first pump, its not leaking, but the impeller could be broken because of the old plastic.

As i will have to drain the coolant anyway i will work after your work order thats very logical and sounds good.

1. Will drain fluid and look for debrits and dirt.
2. Flush and look gain what comes out.
3. Check termostate.
4. Replace water pump.

But my bet is for water pump...i will update. If its wasnt the pump i think at least some of my water pipes should get warm, but its all cold or just a little bit warm. I am still amazed its not oberheating.
masterslamma
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:09 pm

There are a few different designs of thermostats housing and thermostats ..most of the thermostats within have an extension on the thermostat that closes off or uncovers water passages to the heater hoses. so you see a faulty thermostat can have an effect

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby masterslamma » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:41 pm

So it really was the water pump impeller exploded and bearing also had lots of play.. I drove more than 1000miles like this without the temp gauge ever getting more than half, i live in germnay and also did drive max speed at 120mph like this for several minutes, its a focus wagon not connect. This engines are really indestructable 8)

This is my third 1.8tdci car and always the water pump died at arround 200k miles same with the alternator, on all 3 cars the first alternator died at arround 180k miles.

Thanks Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
masterslamma
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Connect