*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

How to change fuel filter

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Re: How to change fuel filter

Postby jonnieboy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:47 pm

shame all the pictures have gone i need to do this myself , van has a slight loss of power would it be fuel filter
jonnieboy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Graham Taylor » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:12 pm

jonnieboy wrote:shame all the pictures have gone i need to do this myself , van has a slight loss of power would it be fuel filter

Pictures are still there ;-)
Graham Taylor
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby oldtimer47 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:20 am

hi all, I have a 2010 model, a 2.4ltr engine, live in Australia,
what is the procedure for changing the fuel filter, I have a new filter, in the past with other engines it was just a case of pull the old one off and fill the new one with diesel then screw it on, this looks different.
also how do I bleed the system, ( if I had run out of fuel, hope I never do )
thanks, Oldtimer.
Transit Van. 2005. 135 / T430 RWD. 2.4 engine. 6 speed Manual. used as a Motor Home in Australia.
oldtimer47
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Piglet » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:27 pm

2.4 Diesel in a Connect? Or is it a Transit?

With the UK market 1.8 Lynx engines in the Connects you have to pre-fill the new filter with clean Diesel as the pump is not self priming and Ford didn't see the need to fit a manual primer.
I fell into the trap 1st time round like most on here and airlocked the bugger.

If it is a 2.4 in a Connect please post a pic, I'm intrigued.
Piglet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby oldtimer47 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:15 am

hi, sorry my mistake, mine is a Transit. thanks, Oldtimer
Transit Van. 2005. 135 / T430 RWD. 2.4 engine. 6 speed Manual. used as a Motor Home in Australia.
oldtimer47
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Piglet » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:31 pm

You're in the wrong room, try next door. :wink:
Piglet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxeman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:58 pm

Just done mine using the guide at the top of page 1. It's a cinch and I am not a wonderful mechanic by any means. Here's what I did on my TDCi;

Delphi filter type HDF924

1. Released the clips holding the fuel pipes onto the filter. I used just my fingers to do the initial release and then a small screwdriver to pry them fully open. I did the red (left) first, followed by the white (right) and then the middle (black).

2. Using a longer screwdriver, I pushed the side tab in towards the body of the filter whilst gently wobbling it from side to side with an upward pull. The filter assembly came off quite easily.

3. Next I released the torx screw and slid the old filter out of the housing.

4. I filled the new filter with clean diesel using a funnel. I did not have one quite small enough for the pipe bore so I used an uncut nozzle from a bathroom sealant tube and then a funnel into that. Be patient as this takes a while due to the small hole you are pouring through! I filled via the input pipe (right) and diesel started to come out of the left pipe. When it did I capped it off using the red and yellow caps that came on the new filter. Now I could continue filling until diesel started to come from the middle pipe. Again, I capped it off, removed the funnel and capped that too, giving me a fully filled filter with no spillage possible.

5. Placed the new filter into the assembly and tightened the torx screw. N.B. The filter had a black mark on it that should be aligned with the metal tooth on the assembly before you tighten up.

6. Gently pushed the filter and assembly back onto the mounting bracket, having first cleaned and copper greased the three locating studs.

7. Removing the caps one at a time I reattached the pipes and engaged the clips.

8. Quick wipe with a rag to remove any drops of fuel and then started up and left it running for 3/4 minutes.

I hope that this helps anyone who has been putting this off as it's a very very simple job that took me 15 minutes and next time will be only 5. A big thank you to the original poster.
axxeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby V184 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:44 pm

A good way of filling the filter is take the water trap out, turn it over & fill through there, leaving the inlet/outlet protectors on :wink:
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby axxeman » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:08 pm

V184 wrote:A good way of filling the filter is take the water trap out, turn it over & fill through there, leaving the inlet/outlet protectors on :wink:

Brilliant tip.
axxeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Transit Connect