*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

battery warning light staying on

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Re: battery warning light staying on

Postby Dizzyd » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:49 pm

I've been under the bonnet and taken the loom out only to find that it is all ok :( I taped it all up and put it back and the light still comes on, the battery I think is charging as the light has been on for a week now and no other issues!

Any suggestion?

Dan
Dizzyd

Postby customconnects » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:01 pm

Hi all fantastic thread.
had my loom changed but mine has some sort of diode in it? not seen it it was replaced locally.
Also im due to replace the battery as it isnt holding charge that well. If I need to Jump start is there a set procedure as with some makes to prevent surges to set circuits?
customconnects
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dye29 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:31 pm

i have same problem ive just taken out my gearbox to put new clutch in as the other was slipping put back in today and battery light stays on weired , ive recently had new alternator,battery and changed them coroded wire problem but wunder why any ideas guys
dye29
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dye29 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:47 pm

just checked and battery showing 12v and with engine running should be 14v but only showing 12v i must have nocked a wire from alternator or something
dye29
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Altransit » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:39 pm

dye29 wrote: i must have nocked a wire from alternator or something

It does sound like it :(
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby dye29 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:23 pm

the only thing it could be is one of three wires on alternator or the alternator but ill take that out the equation as its been working spot on , is there any fuses that could of gone or anything else
dye29
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dye29 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 am

back to drawing board all wires from alternator are ok no corrosion or splits followed right back , oh dear wat now
dye29
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Altransit » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:04 am

dye29 wrote:back to drawing board all wires from alternator are ok no corrosion or splits followed right back , oh dear wat now

If you're 100% it's not the loom, then it must be the alternator :(
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby dye29 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:46 am

hope not ive just put it in 6mnth ago and it was £300 it was working fine before i removed gearbox so must be wiring but it looks spot on , is there anyway of checking each wire is ok with multimeter
dye29
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby builder271 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:13 pm

Hi New here. Been messing about with the blue badges all my days. Cool site. Anyway was changing the alternator on my connect.Not much trouble. and put in a brand new one.To my surprise that when everything was all bolted back together the little sh*t was not spinning.The cup shaped coupling was bolted on as was the 3 bolts which hold it to the belt driven wheels. But here where they join it was f*** the rubber had split all the way round. Spinning inside the coupling and not spinning the alternator.So some flex metal belts where soon cut into three and fixed to the coupling.Mega sticky ct1 squeezed in between fired it up and its ALIVE...So look to see if the alternator is spinning first. before you fork out for a new one.....TIT of the DAY.
builder271

Postby bagshotstokey » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:55 pm

Massive thanks to this post, had all the dials, computer all tripping and battery light on. I brought the smart lead for my 59 plate connect £67.00 from Ford and wahoo it cured my problems, Big thanks again
bagshotstokey

Postby Andy G » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:01 pm

builder271 wrote:Hi New here. Been messing about with the blue badges all my days. Cool site. Anyway was changing the alternator on my connect.Not much trouble. and put in a brand new one.To my surprise that when everything was all bolted back together the little sh*t was not spinning.The cup shaped coupling was bolted on as was the 3 bolts which hold it to the belt driven wheels. But here where they join it was f***ed the rubber had split all the way round. Spinning inside the coupling and not spinning the alternator.So some flex metal belts where soon cut into three and fixed to the coupling.Mega sticky ct1 squeezed in between fired it up and its ALIVE...So look to see if the alternator is spinning first. before you fork out for a new one.....TIT of the DAY.

Read the whole thread and it takes a noob to hit the nail on the head, I too have the dreaded battery light come on, switch engine off and restart it goes out only to come back on after 25 seconds, no output to battery I.e still reads 12.1 volts and going lower over time, I too thought it might be the loom, but had a look down at the alt' and the shaft was spinning but not the bell housing that goes over it to the alt' the one with little bolts on, looks to me like the rubber has come away, not taken it off yet to check, but pretty sure the shaft is the culprit

Anyone else changed the shaft to cure battery light?

Andy
Andy G
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Graham Taylor » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:18 pm

Andy G wrote:Read the whole thread and it takes a noob to hit the nail on the head, I too have the dreaded battery light come on, switch engine off and restart it goes out only to come back on after 25 seconds, no output to battery I.e still reads 12.1 volts and going lower over time, I too thought it might be the loom, but had a look down at the alt' and the shaft was spinning but not the bell housing that goes over it to the alt' the one with little bolts on, looks to me like the rubber has come away, not taken it off yet to check, but pretty sure the shaft is the culprit

Anyone else changed the shaft to cure battery light?

Andy

Yep and the alternator was knackered too so whole lot needed changing.
Graham Taylor
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby tez » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:23 am

is your van bk on road yet graham ?
tez
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Graham Taylor » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:06 am

Not yet tez. Fuel pump needs repairing @ £250+vat plus all four injectors @£300 bargain from Peter (dieselboy1978). Fuel system will then need cleaning to remove any metal bits. Not been in any hurry but should be back weekend or early next week. Have a set of custom made seat covers waiting for me plus I bought a electric window kit and door cards so they are waiting in my garage.
Graham Taylor
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Connect