*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

TDCi upgrades?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Re: TDCi upgrades?

Postby stephenferguson » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:11 pm

For the boost guage just tap into the manifold pressure pipe, will giv u a true reading there. Straight fwd really.

for the manual boost valve you have to tap into the pipe attached to the actuator i think.... but be careful as you could blow the engine, the limp home mode will kick in first or it will just cut out at too much boost to save the engine from poppin!! :D
2008, VW Transporter T5, T30, 6 Speed 130, Reflex Silver.
2006, 100 T280, MWB, Mid Roof, Moondust Silver. SOLD
Mk6-Mk7 Facelift Photos Here
stephenferguson
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Rumble bee » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:50 pm

Hey fella where abouts is this pipe (the boost gauge one)?
Rumble bee
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby poormansporsche » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:44 pm

My mechanic has already threatened to break my arms if i touch the valve once hes fitted it ! Hes going to set it to a safe level apparently !
55 LX, ST220 Leather Recaro's, Leather Dash,Console, Visors and roof lining, Vantuner Remap, Chrome Running Boards, Zetec S 18 Alloys, Zetec S Leather Wheel, Double Din Nav, Custom Dials, Blue ledded etc
poormansporsche
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby belly » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:30 pm

Quite intrested to see how far you can raise the boost before the ecu spits its dummy out :?: i know the rs boys put a different map sensor in! would that just fool the ecu? i reckon i could run a bit more as i get a bit of chuff on full throttle :)
2013 VW Transporter swb T5.1GP T28 140ps Highline with extra toys.
belly
Kaiser Chief

Postby poormansporsche » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:02 pm

well had my boost gauge and valve jobbie fitted today, 50 quid the mechanic charged. didnt get time to fart about with the valve so just turned off at the mo. i dont know how you read these boost gauges as its showing 18psi under full boost !! its a bit lumpy over 2.5 k under hard accellaration as well
55 LX, ST220 Leather Recaro's, Leather Dash,Console, Visors and roof lining, Vantuner Remap, Chrome Running Boards, Zetec S 18 Alloys, Zetec S Leather Wheel, Double Din Nav, Custom Dials, Blue ledded etc
poormansporsche
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mylee » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:05 pm

poormansporsche wrote:i dont know how you read these boost gauges as its showing 18psi under full boost !!

That's only 1.3 bar
Mylee
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby stephenferguson » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:06 pm

the pipe is the one that comes out of the inlet manifold, its the angled one that sits under the egr valve. Not the pipe that comes out of the egr valve tho! its underneath and it goes to a black box attached to the bulkhead.

failing that just tap into the inlet manifold.
2008, VW Transporter T5, T30, 6 Speed 130, Reflex Silver.
2006, 100 T280, MWB, Mid Roof, Moondust Silver. SOLD
Mk6-Mk7 Facelift Photos Here
stephenferguson
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby poormansporsche » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:00 am

well i know bugger all about turbo's (engines as well really) but what i do know is that my ole passat 1.8T (petrol) was running 8 psi before remap and 10 psi after apparently so 18 psi seemed alot to me !! ??
poormansporsche
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MR_RS » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:20 am

18psi is a lot for a engine, rs turbos and subarus run around 6psi
stainless, de-cat, remap, K&N with drilled airbox, Fmic, face lift bumpers, colour coded, side bars, Recaros, 18's etc ...... much more to come
MR_RS
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Rumble bee » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:34 am

stephenferguson wrote:the pipe is the one that comes out of the inlet manifold, its the angled one that sits under the egr valve. Not the pipe that comes out of the egr valve tho! its underneath and it goes to a black box attached to the bulkhead.

failing that just tap into the inlet manifold.

Cheers mate :D

Anyone got pictures of their boost gauge fitted in the dash?
Rumble bee
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby poormansporsche » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:30 pm

well farted about with the valve and it did give a noticable power boost over 2.5k but it was soo erratic and jerky that i turned it back off - dunno whether its the actuator going mental, the injectors being maxed or the valve itself !!
poormansporsche
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mattvik30 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:23 pm

Have you got any pics of where you mounted the gauge?, as im still not sure where im going to mount mine yet.
Tourneo connect 90ps Remapped by Vantuner, Mondy interior handles, Full SS exhaust with pptuning de-cat, Chrome Sportvan Grille, Fiesta St Seats, Dvd Player with Kenwood speakers,
Clear Side Repeaters, K&N Air Filter, Sportvan Sideskirts
mattvik30
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby poormansporsche » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:13 pm

i could do but i wont embaress myself :) as at the moment its just selotaped to my parrot display til i work out what im going to do with it
poormansporsche
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby nedges » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:21 pm

Ha haha,at least your honest.
Watching with much interest what you guys are doing.
Keep up the good work and give us a laugh post the pic of the part on the parrot stuck with the tape :lol:
Look forward to seeing the dails and light when there done.

Regards John
nedges
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby So-Kal » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:23 pm

Boost gauge is a good idea for a bit of fun (no idea what the Connect runs at as standard though) but the big thing to check - especially on 'pioneering' mods - is the Exhaust Gas Temps, as that's what will kill your engine stone dead quicker than anything else.......

To be honest (in my limited opinion), dicking about with manual boost controllers is pointless on an ECU fed motor - as the increase in boost needs extra fuel to be of any use - and that can only be done by electrickery.

I'd leave all power increases solely in the hands of the magicians with their laptops - but making sure exhaust/induction mods (removing particulate filter, fitting panel filter, changing to FMIC) had been done first.....

Just as an aside, seeing as I'm a new boy, what sort of map is the 90PS motor capable of - both in terms of power and MPG?
So-Kal
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Connect