*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Legalities of alloys / tyres on the Connect :)

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Re: Legalities of alloys / tyres on the Connect :)

Postby mrtn » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:48 pm

Never had any load rating problems at the regular MOT place I go to. Last year I went to some other place, they made a big deal out of the 93-rated snow tyres, instead of the 95 listed in the registration. Started bitching about them immediately.
1.6 Ecoboost A/T LWB '16
mrtn
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby whatfriends » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:16 am

Hello there folks.

Was a member of the smiley face gang, but that van went to the big car park in the sky yesterday.

Bought a second hand 2003 connect lx tdci T230 LWB high top yesterday, so now I'm in the transit connect gang.

It came with some alloys on it, and after looking at this thread and doing a bunch of research on my tyres, I know that the tires are good for the load (rated at 105R - 925kg and 106mph).

Questions are....

How do I find out the load rating on an alloy wheel? I believe its a ford mondeo set.

How do I find out if the stud bolts are for alloys or steel wheels, as the book says danger, do not use steel wheel bolts.

Image of van and wheels below in case anyone recognises them. Current size is 205/65 R16. According to sat nav, speedo is dead on accurate.
https://ssli.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDc5OQ==/z/y0wAAOSwjVVVrmyR/$_86.JPG
whatfriends
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby g-man » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:45 pm

they are mk3 mondys........normal ford ally nuts off ebay will fit or go to a dealer........load rating is normally stamped on the inside of the rim :wink:
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby whatfriends » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:26 am

When you on the inside of the rim, do you mean under the tire, or on the reverse so I'd need to take a wheel off to find it?
whatfriends
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby g-man » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:08 am

inside face
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby whatfriends » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:45 am

Nice one. I'll check it out. Much appreciate.
whatfriends
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby whatfriends » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:29 pm

Well what I found out was, that a great cure for all my van wheel/tyre worries was to have a faulty waterpump, have my van overheat and blow the head gasket and have to get rid of it. Ace. :( :( :(
whatfriends
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby LostinTransit » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:33 pm

whatfriends wrote:Well what I found out was, that a great cure for all my van wheel/tyre worries was to have a faulty waterpump, have my van overheat and blow the head gasket and have to get rid of it. Ace. :( :( :(

So what's next?.. new TransCon?.. Walk?.. motorcycle?.. Thumb it?.

Our current status: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=158640&start=15
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby whatfriends » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:35 pm

Volkwagon Caddy.
whatfriends
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby whatfriends » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:36 pm

I'll get my coat....
whatfriends
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby LostinTransit » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:40 pm

Update:

We've found a set of wheel & tires to match.. The tires I've always wanted, but I'm still unsure about the wheels.. Sure they look rugged and all.. and have been proven to actually be rugged.. I'm just unsure of the center bore/wheel ring & the offset. Both aren't that high but still it could be an issue down the road.

One reason I'm posting here is because over these last 6 months.. I found out that those of you who live in Europe got it easy dealing with finding wheels. Proof of this came when I found 6 wheels via fordpartsuk.. the issue was they aren't DOT approved which is one things wheels need to be here in the states. otherwise I would have order wheels from UK.

Never the less we found some and await their delivery.. What wheels & tires did we get for this van?.. While I was swinging from overlander to stance van and back to overlander.. I realized that we're never going to be happy but I didn't want to buy any wheels or tires on impulse.. Picky.. yeah probably.

I think I'm doing these wheels and tires because several TC owners in the states seem to have a fear of doing anything to the van.. so I figured I'd take the lead and grab a wheel and tire that was different and not so "main stream". No we didn't do the Yokohama Geolanders, but we had a waiting list, poised to see this. I've been sending my finding to Wheel-size.com just to help them out and so they had the correct data for other who might be going though the same process we did.

Also & lastly, one reason we've selected these wheels and tires is because of our trip to Arkansas last week.. we found a road out there that really inspired me to think outside the box. Oh the reason we went to AR?.. well seem the storm that was pounding the east coast turn us toward sunny weather.. and where was the sunny shine?.. We had to drive all the way to AR, just for the fun of it.

Looking forward to sharing our wheel/tire finding very soon.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby robfe550 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:36 pm

So if you have an L200 SWB with 18's on you have nothing to worry about?
robfe550
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby LostinTransit » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:05 am

Image: 16x7 Sparco "Terra" wheels w/ Maxxis Victra 215/55R16 Tires on our 015 Transit Connect

According to the dealership and checking the wheels myself, No wheel weights were added because each time the spun the wheel it cam up balanced.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jumbo camper » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:11 am

Any ideas if im ok to run 195/70R15C tyres all round on my LWB transit connect? van currently has 195/65R15 on it at the mo. but ive aquired a set of 5 michelins for a good price? thanks
jumbo camper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby T i m » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:46 pm

highroof wrote:Don't know if anyone else has had this suggested to them, but in a dispute with the dealer supplying my recently purchased used van, I argued that it shouldn't have 91T rated tyres on it with it being a LWB. They replaced the tyres after some to-ing and fro-ing, but countered with paperwork to show that the Connect is a Class 4 vehicle, and only Classes 5 and 7 are required to have correctly rated load index tyres for MOT purposes. I asked another MOT place to confirm this and it appears to be correct.

Yup, that seems to be the case.

So, in short, you can legally have 91T rated tyres on a LWB Connect, and still be within the law..........the grey area being that you could be carrying weight within the limits of the vans capabilities, but not the tyres! And I don't yet know what would happen legally if that were shown to be the case.

Happy motoring!

I think (and has been mentioned elsewhere) it is the drivers responsibility to ensure the tyres are not overloaded, whatever load rating they are (also indirectly in the case of those vehicles where the right load rating is sipulated of course). So, if they have a sufficiently high load rating to support the vehicle when empty then as long as it remains empty then that should be fine (legally).

However, ITRW, I think most people would like the oppertunity to carry up to the maximum permitted capacity of the vehicle (safely / legally) and in that case they would fit tyres with a suitable load rating to accomodate that.

I'm adding my 3dth to this thread now because we find ourselves in the same position with the new_to_us T220, LWB Connect. It came with some fairly new 91T rated tyres on the front and older 95T's on the rear. Now, I've not looked into it closely but I'm guessing it's possible, depending what sort of load you carry and where you place it ... to overload the front tyres whist still being within the load capacity of the vehicle. e.g. a 800kg (or whatever the max load is) lead block up against the bulkhead would probably overload the front tyres whereas the same block over the back axle probably wouldn't.

I think daughter is happy to buy 5 new 95T's (it's her Connect <g>) and then it won't be an issue if she has to move a wheel from front to back or carry a full load etc. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
T i m
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Connect