*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

cambelt change

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

cambelt change

Postby ground stabber » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:23 pm

hi people ie got a transit connect 55 plate swb 1.8 diesel turbo its done just under 85 k how easy is it to change the cambelt ?
do i need any special tools to do this job please advize ..
a friend of mine said ide have to loosen engine mounts and jack engine under neath on the cambelt side is this correct ???
please tell me how you done yours people cheers from marco ........................... :?
ground stabber
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: cambelt change

Postby Altransit » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:58 pm

You'll need a set of Ford timing pins and a bit of patience, as there's not much room :!: Yes, you will need to disconnect/remove the O/S engine mounting to get at the cambelt cover :)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby ground stabber » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:33 am

thank very much cheers for info :wink:
ground stabber
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby El transito » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:28 pm

The Ford recomendation is 150k or 10 years so you have some time yet, unless of course you feel the speedo mileage is unreliable?

That said, they are remarkably easy to change (<30 minutes) so for peace of mind it might be worth doing? be sure to change the Tensioner when you do it ( Kit including Belt and tensioner around £50 for a reputable make)
El transito
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

belt

Postby ground stabber » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:38 am

cheers for the info guys one more question as i aint done a cambelt change on these engines does the water pump run in line with the cambelt and if so would it be best to replace the water pump at the same time ??????c heers guys
ground stabber
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby BLUECONNECTION » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:01 am

no, water pump is driven off the aux belt that drives the power steering pump and alternator, the timing belt goes between the fuel pump and cam pulley, only use a gates belt or ford belt, don't buy cheap ebay sh*t
BLUECONNECTION
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby El transito » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:37 am

BLUECONNECTION wrote:no, water pump is driven off the aux belt that drives the power steering pump and alternator, the timing belt goes between the fuel pump and cam pulley, only use a gates belt or ford belt, don't buy cheap ebay sh*t

Just a small amendment, the Timing belt only drives the Camshaft, the fuel pump is chain driven from the crankshaft.
I agree that you should only buy quality parts.
El transito
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby gt_addict » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:31 am

Inevitably on fords it's the tensioner that goes first. The belts are usually fine. Simple solution, by a kit that has both, not just the belt.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby airconman » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:31 am

Whats the going rate on this job at a mechanics? Has anybody had theirs done? And what mileage are people up to who have never had theirs changed since the van was new?
Mines on about 57k think i might get mine done soon just because its better to be safe than sorry isnt it.
airconman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby g-man » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:22 pm

just had both belts/tensioners done as was getting a screeching noise,only done 31k but aux belt was starting to go :o, leaving till 90k could be asking for grief :wink:
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby BLUECONNECTION » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:09 pm

airconman wrote:Whats the going rate on this job at a mechanics? Has anybody had theirs done? And what mileage are people up to who have never had theirs changed since the van was new?
Mines on about 57k think i might get mine done soon just because its better to be safe than sorry isnt it.

I did mine at 60k, i did it myself, you should do it with the correct timing pins but some people do it without with success, i wouldn't chance it though. doing mine again shortly at 120k
BLUECONNECTION
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby airconman » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:02 pm

BLUECONNECTION wrote:
airconman wrote:Whats the going rate on this job at a mechanics? Has anybody had theirs done? And what mileage are people up to who have never had theirs changed since the van was new?

I did mine at 60k, i did it myself, you should do it with the correct timing pins but some people do it without with success, i wouldn't chance it though. doing mine again shortly at 120k

You a mechanic? I'm quite mechanically minded. is it easy?
airconman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby BLUECONNECTION » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:20 pm

airconman wrote:You a mechanic? I'm quite mechanically minded. is it easy?

No not a mechanic, but do all my own servicing/maintenance and have built up kit cars in the passed, i've changed loads of timing belts and the connect is one of the easiest, i just followed the ford tis for the torque settings for the cam pulley as it acts like a vernier pulley. the ford tis software is available from a well known software sharing website (pirate bay) or sometimes appears on ebay. use only gates or ford belt kits with the tensioner included. cheap ebay crap isn't worth it!
BLUECONNECTION
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pollock1 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:13 pm

Hi.

On a ford transit mk5 turbo diesel. Is the diesel pump run from the cam belt.

Kind regards

Andy
Pollock1

Postby V184 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:05 pm

Pollock1 wrote:Hi.

On a ford transit mk5 turbo diesel. Is the diesel pump run from the cam belt.

Kind regards

Andy

Yes
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Transit Connect