*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine management light problem

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Re: Engine management light problem

Postby Graham Taylor » Tue May 22, 2012 11:39 am

DieselDazzler wrote:cheers , sh*t!, am i right that on the transit the inlet manifolds on the back of the engine?

Yep!
Graham Taylor
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby DieselDazzler » Tue May 22, 2012 4:07 pm

hmm, had a look at lunch and cannot see how it comes off, would this definitely be throwing up the EML light or could it be something else? as i said the EGR was apparently cleaned out a few months ago,?
cheers John
T200 TDCI-16" MATT BLACK STEELS-30000W SOUND SYSTEM-RING 100/80W ULTRA BRIGHT BULBS-FORCED COLD FEED INTAKE-SUBARU SEAT-BLUE INTERNAL LED'S-REVERSING CAMERA-LOW PROFILE ROOF RACK-RING 100W REAR WORK LIGHTS & TOO MANY TOGGLE SWITCHES :wink:
DieselDazzler
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Graham Taylor » Tue May 22, 2012 5:42 pm

Mine is held with (I think) 4 bolts/nuts. Cant see them as they are at the back but can feel them. Nope not sure this is the problem but seemed a possibility after what you described. Maybe try running without the blank and see if it happens again if so possibly light coming on as detecting a fault as gasses not circulating. If so drilling a small hole in the blanking plate may cure it.
Graham Taylor
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby DieselDazzler » Tue May 22, 2012 6:52 pm

yep i agree although ive been running it without the blank since it issued that code a few weeks ago, could it be something to do with washing/water under the front arches? /as thats the only thing i can connect the two instances with? unless ford never cleared the code the first time? and when i read it, that was the only code available after the light went out? and yesterday i had just jet-washed the van including under the arches a few mins before it was parked up! could it be some damp/wet wires that far up the back of the engine? hmmm maybe a deliberate under arch wash is required? this is starting to get annoying!

first instance of EML light and code p0490 (beginning - mid April):
-van had been driven approx 150miles constant
-had sat for approx 1hr
-went through a big puddle on the passengers side
-light came on less than a minute later
sat in the sun for a day = light out by tea time

-no loss of power
-no smoke
-no nothing

second instance of EML light and code p0490 (yesterday):
-had just driven approx 150miles constant
-had a nice jet-wash inc. under front arches, mainly passenger side arch as it was manky!
-sat in the yard for about 4hours
-light came on as soon as i started it

again:
-no loss of power
-no smoke
-no nothing

WTF!!!
sorry for all the questions but i don't know anyone else with a connect!

J
T200 TDCI-16" MATT BLACK STEELS-30000W SOUND SYSTEM-RING 100/80W ULTRA BRIGHT BULBS-FORCED COLD FEED INTAKE-SUBARU SEAT-BLUE INTERNAL LED'S-REVERSING CAMERA-LOW PROFILE ROOF RACK-RING 100W REAR WORK LIGHTS & TOO MANY TOGGLE SWITCHES :wink:
DieselDazzler
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Graham Taylor » Tue May 22, 2012 8:28 pm

Does sound suspicious and when using a jet wash they are quite powerfull and get in places a hose pipe wouldnt. It may be possible that something is shorting and giving an error. Maybe try jetting under one side and then run for a bit and if no light try the otherside. Bit of trial and error really.
Graham Taylor
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby DieselDazzler » Tue May 22, 2012 11:15 pm

yep thats what i thaught! although she had a bit of a knock when i first started her tonight but i dont think thats related! :roll:

also took loads of readings from my obd2 reader, things like temps and stuff, will be taking them again tomorrow morning to double check there acurate before i post them, !

J
DieselDazzler
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Transit Connect