*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Classic van and pickup feature on Transitmania 2009

Look in here for the latest on our show Transitmania 14 @ Santa Pod on 12th and 13th of August 2023 and information of past shows

Moderators: Luke, AlanN

Classic van and pickup feature on Transitmania 2009

Postby Luke » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:56 am

Image http://www.classicvan.co.uk/

Classic Van & pickup are gonna do us a small feature on Transitmania 2009 8)

obviously as they wernt there so they need somone to do a write up, i was gonna do it but i just thought if there is anyone who'd like to do it i'd offer them the chance 1st :D as it's not the sort of thing i'm any good at :lol:

they are really only interested in the mk1&mk2's there cut off year is around 1980 :D but we did manage to get 16 mk1&2's there 8) i've got photos to send them so all then need is some words - i'd imagine they will change them a bit but the basics should stay the same :D

so if your a budding journalist intrested in classic transits ....... let me know :D :D
Luke
Site Admin

Re: Classic van and pickup feature on Transitmania 2009

Postby noobrider » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:24 am

I'm quite happy to do a wordy bit. Although my knowledge of classic vans is limited, I can certainly do something that is focused on the show side of things with a generous nod toward the Mk1's and 2s that attended.

How many words, any particular content requirements?
noobrider
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Luke » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:38 am

not sure on the amount of words - i suppose if there's too many then they'll just crop it a bit :)

just having a look round to see if there's any other van magazines that might be interested in the more modern stuff but i dont think there is any :?
Luke
Site Admin

Postby noobrider » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:11 pm

Fast Ford?

Commercial Motor Magazine - possible trade stands for next year?

What Van

Professional Van & light truck magazine

Practical Motorhome

Motorcaravan Motorhome monthly magazine

Just a few

I'll put something together and post it on here for the classic mag, then if anyone has anything to add, edit etc it can be a group publication
noobrider
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Britishbulldog » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:07 pm

noobrider wrote:Fast Ford?

Commercial Motor Magazine - possible trade stands for next year?

What Van

Professional Van & light truck magazine

Practical Motorhome

Motorcaravan Motorhome monthly magazine

Just a few

I'll put something together and post it on here for the classic mag, then if anyone has anything to add, edit etc it can be a group publication

Truck & Driver :wink:
Britishbulldog
formerly known as charly

Postby noobrider » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:24 pm

OK, I've put this together to give a flavour of Transitmania with a Classic van slant. Please criticise, I certainly wont be offended in anyway. I believe Luke will organise the photo's so here's hoping we can get something into the mag. With a bit of luck we can do something similar for other publications.

It all started in October 1965. A van designed to replace the Ford Thames 400E became an iconic symbol of Britain, as recogniseable as the Mini and even entering several languages to mean the word van. We are of course talking about the Ford Transit van. This ubiquitous and tireless workhorse has a charm and a following all of its own, so much so the fordtransit.org forum has over 15000 members that continuously chat about all things Transit and take great pride in showing off their lastest rides, modifications and restorations.

The Ford Transit Forum is a valuable resource for prospective and current owners of the classic marques. The wealth of knowledge and access to parts and searches the forum has, means the saviour for many of the now rarer Mk1 and Mk2 Transits and their many variants. The enthusiam for the preservation and ownership of these iconic vehicles drips from every topic and and every entry. This enthusiasm is certainly very noticeable in the forums adminstrator Luke (Surname). With various local meetings for van owners regularly being publicised and organised on the site, Luke arranged and organised a National event to collate all these mini meetings in one big blow out. Thus Transitmania was born.

Transitmania took place over the August bank holiday weekend and was hosted at Billing Aquadrome campsite. A huge venue with ample camping and caravaning facilities and one of only a few sites that could accommodate a lot of vans in a show arena. The site is very family friendly and even pets are allowed making this an ideal excuse for everyone to get out the tents and spend the entire weekend enjoying one of those rare fair weather bank holiday weekends.

This was the first ever Transitmania show and I must say the turn out was far higher than expected. Around 70 vans attended and formed a large circle in the main field. Within the various marques and body types there were some exceptional classic vehicles ranging from Mk1 Campers, through to two fire engine variants. I counted at least 10 Transits that fell into the classic category.

Two Mk1 vehicles stood out as stunning restorations. A beautiful Mk1 cab pick-up in white was immaculate and looked as though it had just rolled off the production line. Parked next to this was an equally impressive Mk1 short wheelbase panel van, both owned by the same Transit fanatical family that were more than willing to discuss every aspect of their picture perfect vehicles.

Everywhere you looked there were great examples of the early Transit chassis in various guises. It was also encouraging to see many of these vehicles in regular use and non more so than the campers. An excellent Mk1 coachbuilt camper in powder Blue complete with white wall tyres was noticeable not only by the teletubbies in the top window but also for its period and complete interior, all complete and working and being used as accommodation over the weekend for its lucky owner.

Two other Mk1's that stood out were the fire appliances. One of these belonged to show organiser Luke and was a German left hand drive version. Although still under renovation, its condition was superb for such a hard working vehicle, still sporting its original livery and sign writing. The second fire appliance was more complete, down to the original helmets in the back of the passenger area and hoses and tools in the rear. Badged as a Central Electricty Board unit it certainly looked very complete and very original.

Moving on to the Mk2 versions, once again there were working versions and custom models, all with their own unique touches. Probably one of the most outstanding and original versions was a coach built camper that was truly immaculate. Unfortunately, due to a late entry into the field and the nature of a public voting system, it only managed a 3rd place in it's category. I'm certain next year it will feature much more in a variety of categories.

We couldn't mention the Mk 2's without a passing nod to Luke's own Mk2 in metalic gunmetal grey. Although definately not standard with its Ford Cosworth engine and chrome side pipes, certainly the bodywork is one of the straightest panel vans out there and even more so considering its age. Stealing some of the limelight was a reall blast from the past with the fantastic custom Mk2 panel van of one "Beefy". Sporting its period flames on a mirror finished jet black bodywork, its period rear end in the air stance and chromed side pipes it certainly retained its 70's custom look. Only it's interior gave away its modernisation and memories of the Carlos Fandango adverts came flooding back.

The Mk2 evokes a lot of personal memories for me and this is the iconic model I remember the best. The customisation scene was big back in the 70's and many of these Mk2 vans have kept some of that era's styling and bolt on goodies. Whilst not strictly original and museum quality, they certainly are in keeping with the period that these vans first started to be used as custom vehicles. The custom Mk2 camper was unusual to say the least and I didn't get chance to speak to the owner or grab a look inside. It was that old kid in a candy shop cliche that prevented me from speaking to many of the owners. I'm sure I have missed many other notable Mk2's but I would strongly suggest a visit to the fordtransit.org/forum to catch up with the owners and see the many hundreds of pictures and stories published there.

For a first one marque show, Transitmania certainly delivered. Whilst not strictly a classic vehicle show, the longevity of the Transit name will always garauntee a good number of classic vans turning up. Luke and the forum are already planning next years event and if they manage to get just a quarter of the ideas and only half of the interest generated so far into the weekend it will be at least twice as big and twice as good as their excellent first attempt.

As a first time Transit owner, I learnt more about the Transit in one weekend than a whole month of internet surfing would have delivered. If there is one show you must attend next year it should be Transitmania. Great camping, great company and great vans. Congratulations to Luke and the forum on an unforgetable weekend.

One final note..... if you are looking for a classic of the future, you couldn't go far wrong in investing in a Transit Mk3. They are getting quite rare already and there were a couple of fantastic examples on show. Manufacture started in 1986 so only a couple of years before they fall into the classic status so get searching now. I can hear Slade singing Coz I luv you now, the theme to the greatest Transit TV advert, backbone of Britain, also the unofficial motto of the forum.
Last edited by noobrider on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:48 pm, edited 7 times in total.
noobrider
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Luke » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:29 pm

:shock: :shock: nice one 8) 8) i'll copy that and send it him (the editor) - should be plenty there :mrgreen: i'll let you know what he says .................. and if he's got any jobs going :lol: :lol:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby noobrider » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:37 pm

Ive just read through it and spotted acouple of mistakes so use the copy thats on there now. I even missed the whole first paragraph. Unfortunately my brain runs faster than my fingers can type. LOL about the job. I do a fair bit of writing both for my job and as a bit of a hobby. I have been on a couple of magazines payrole as a regular contributor in the past and it was good to do something again.

Just keep chucking those requests out while my enthusiasm is so high
noobrider
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby AlanN » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:34 pm

WOW I can see that in print now, what a great image youve just invoked in me 8)
Thank you
Ford Transit MK3 1989 2.8i V6 Auto Member of the MK3 Massive

R.I.P Kirk Bacon aka Eugene Speed
AlanN
Site Moderator

Postby sidspop » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:20 pm

noobrider wrote:OK, I've put this together to give a flavour of Transitmania with a Classic van slant. Please criticise, I certainly wont be offended in anyway. I believe Luke will organise the photo's so here's hoping we can get something into the mag. With a bit of luck we can do something similar for other publications.

It all started in October 1965. A van designed to replace the Ford Thames 400E became an iconic symbol of Britain, as recogniseable as the Mini and even entering several languages to mean the word van. We are of course talking about the Ford Transit van. This ubiquitous and tireless workhorse has a charm and a following all of its own, so much so THAT the fordtransit.org forum has over 15000 members that continuously chat about all things Transit and take great pride in showing off their lastest rides, modifications and restorations.

The Ford Transit Forum is a valuable resource for prospective and current owners of the classic marques. The wealth of knowledge and access to parts and searches THAT the forum has, means the saviour for many of the now rarer Mk1 and Mk2 Transits and their many variants. The enthusiam for the preservation and ownership of these iconic vehicles drips from every topic and and every entry. This enthusiasm is certainly very noticeable in the forums adminstrator Luke (Surname). With various local meetings for van owners regularly being publicised and organised on the site, Luke arranged and organised a National event to collate all these mini meetings in one big blow out. Thus Transitmania was born.

Transitmania took place over the August bank holiday weekend and was hosted at Billing Aquadrome campsite. A huge venue with ample camping and caravaning facilities and one of only a few sites that could accommodate a lot of vans in a show arena. The site is very family friendly and even pets are allowed making this an ideal excuse for everyone to get out the tents and spend the entire weekend enjoying one of those rare fair weather bank holiday weekends.

This was the first ever Transitmania show and I must say the turn out was far higher than expected. Around 70 vans attended and formed a large circle in the main field. Within the various marques and body types there were some exceptional classic vehicles ranging from Mk1 Campers, through to two fire engine variants. I counted at least 10 Transits that fell into the classic category.

Two Mk1 vehicles stood out as stunning restorations. A beautiful Mk1 cab pick-up in white was immaculate and looked as though it had just rolled off the production line. Parked next to this was an equally impressive Mk1 short wheelbase panel van, both owned by the same Transit fanatical family that were more than willing to discuss every aspect of their picture perfect vehicles.

Everywhere you looked there were great examples of the early Transit chassis in various guises. It was also encouraging to see many of these vehicles in regular use and non more so than the campers. An excellent Mk1 coachbuilt camper in powder Blue complete with white wall tyres was noticeable not only by the teletubbies in the top window but also for its period and complete interior, all complete and working and being used as accommodation over the weekend for its lucky owner.

Two other Mk1's that stood out were the fire appliances. One of these belonged to show organiser Luke and was a German left hand drive version. Although still under renovation, its condition was superb for such a hard working vehicle, still sporting its original livery and sign writing. The second fire appliance was more complete, down to the original helmets in the back of the passenger area and hoses and tools in the rear. Badged as a Central Electricty Board unit it certainly looked very complete and very original.

Moving on to the Mk2 versions, once again there were working versions and custom models, all with their own unique touches. Probably one of the most outstanding and original versions was a coach built camper that was truly immaculate. Unfortunately, due to a late entry into the field and the nature of a public voting system, it only managed a 3rd place in it's category. I'm certain next year it will feature much more in a variety of categories.

We couldn't mention the Mk 2's without a passing nod to Luke's own Mk2 in metalic gunmetal grey. Although definately not standard with its Ford Cosworth engine and chrome side pipes, certainly the bodywork is one of the straightest panel vans out there and even more so considering its age. Stealing some of the limelight was a reall (one l) blast from the past with the fantastic custom Mk2 panel van of one "Beefy". Sporting its(apostrophe) period flames on a mirror finished jet black bodywork, its period rear end in the air stance and chromed side pipes it certainly retained its 70's custom look. Only it's interior gave away its modernisation and memories of the Carlos Fandango adverts came flooding back.

The Mk2 evokes a lot of personal memories for me and this is the iconic model I remember the best. The customisation scene was big back in the 70's and many of these Mk2 vans have kept some of that era's styling and bolt on goodies. Whilst not strictly original and museum quality, they certainly are in keeping with the period that these vans first started to be used as custom vehicles. The custom Mk2 camper was unusual to say the least and I didn't get chance to speak to the owner or grab a look inside. It was that old kid in a candy shop cliche that prevented me from speaking to many of the owners. I'm sure I have missed many other notable Mk2's but I would strongly suggest a visit to the fordtransit.org/forum to catch up with the owners and see the many hundreds of pictures and stories published there.

For a first one marque show, Transitmania certainly delivered. Whilst not strictly a classic vehicle show, the longevity of the Transit name will always guarantee a good number of classic vans turning up. Luke and the forum are already planning next years event and if they manage to get just a quarter of the ideas and only half of the interest generated so far into the weekend it will be at least twice as big and twice as good as their excellent first attempt.

As a first time Transit owner, I learnt more about the Transit in one weekend than a whole month of internet surfing would have delivered. If there is one show you must attend next year it should be Transitmania. Great camping, great company and great vans. Congratulations to Luke and the forum on an unforgetable weekend.

One final note..... if you are looking for a classic of the future, you couldn't go far wrong in investing in a Transit Mk3. They are getting quite rare already and there were a couple of fantastic examples on show. Manufacture started in 1986 so only a couple of years before they fall into the classic status so get searching now. I can hear Slade singing Coz I luv you now, the theme to the greatest Transit TV advert, backbone of Britain, also the unofficial motto of the forum.

Just a few spelling and punctuation errors. Great read. Well done that man.
sidspop
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Location: The Black Country (near to Brummagem, but not the same)

Postby Luke » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:25 pm

too late i've emailed it now - hopefully they'll pick em up :lol:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby noobrider » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:26 pm

thanks sidspop always helps to have the second pair of eyes
noobrider
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby sidspop » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:33 pm

No problem. I had to get the dictionary out though for guarantee, just one of those words I always have a problem with.

Andy
sidspop
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Location: The Black Country (near to Brummagem, but not the same)

Postby noobrider » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:36 pm

me too I had 3 attempts at it and only having wordpad on my PC no spell checker. always struggle with that one lol
noobrider
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Transitmania