*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

workshop tent project??

Look in here for the latest on our show Transitmania 14 @ Santa Pod on 12th and 13th of August 2023 and information of past shows

Moderators: Luke, AlanN

workshop tent project??

Postby Sam_I_am » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:15 pm

ok so i've got my van but it needs work....

i want to fit new doors all round, new locks so they all match including new ignition, and last but not least power steering.... lots to do

who's up for it? I've no idea how to do any of it to be honest :lol: but will pay for the parts and donate to the forum project as a thank you????

ideally i can get as much if not all of it done on the saturday as i'll be coming down late friday night. anyone up for it? i've gotta secure parts (hopefully from captain) and then decide a good donation to get your other project further forward.. say £150

let me know mods admin mechanics :D :D
Sam_I_am
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: workshop tent project??

Postby rover » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:59 pm

Doing the power steering isn't really something I'd want to do on a grass field, but I will certainly show you what you need to do.

As for the doors, I can't see a problem there :D

Make sure to bring some tools (drill and sharp bits!) I will have my basics but won't be bringing loads I as need somewhere to sleep as well :wink:

If we don't get to speak on the friday night (I may well be slightly incoherrant by then :lol: ) Just give me a shout Sat morning, my number will be on the 'Pit-Stop' banner :D
rover
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Sam_I_am » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:10 pm

yea that's my main concern really - the main job i want doing is power steering - been quoted £200 for that so it's a choice of doing that or coming to mania and doing what i can :S cant decide what to do :cry: :cry:
Sam_I_am
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby matthew2riches » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:12 pm

Yeah, not a good idea jacking up on grass :lol:

Some tosser thought I was going under their landrover to change a spring with it jacked up on grass.... I said no and 10 seconds after that, his land rover came crashing down to the fookin floor :shock:
White mk5 SWB Ford Transit. Scrapped!
5 Series F10 BMW. Factory standard. Pokey ;)
350 LWB 2.2 TDCI REMAPPED Daily!

Need welding? MoT work undertaken Suffolk/Essex/Norfolk... PM me for a chat :)
matthew2riches
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby MONSTER 0NE » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:29 pm

isnt there a concrete pad on the show field that you could jack a van up on, but one thing to consider is getting the tracking checked after swapping out the steering rack, ( I might be able to get it done at a mate garage locally to billing if the big boss is not about for a small cash fee)

also if people need certain tools to help with stuff as i live locally i might be able to help out.
Right 5th Transit now A black petrol mk5 swb, soon to be coverted into a day van mpv.
RIP CATDADDY gone but never forgotten you were a true legend
RIP Ratwood another true great gone who will also never be forgotten
MONSTER 0NE
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Sam_I_am » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:46 pm

i mean ideally it can be done there - never been so have no idea what the place is like :lol: :lol:

plus this is my first project so my tool box is really limited to DIY type things so i'm of no great help in any direction :oops: just really after advice/help/people :D

would rather pay toward forum project but yea getting it aligned etc would be ideal as long as the cash fee isn't requiring selling of body parts......

well i've got the £200 offer in the bank it's just a case of if we can sort something out amongst us lot then that would be much more preferable :)
Sam_I_am
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby rover » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:52 pm

Is the £200 including sourcing the parts for you?
rover
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Sam_I_am » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:57 pm

yep that was supply and fit
Sam_I_am
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby rover » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:47 pm

That ain't too bad :!:
rover
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Sam_I_am » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:10 am

hmm maybe i can put him off till next month and get all doors and locks done at mania then do steering next month....not like it's broke so no rush to change it whereas the doors are holding up other body work so could do with being done first...

how much would you charge to do the steering rover? if i was to bring it to you and buy captains steering bits off him - would rather pay for a forum members gear/services than some unknown and at least if i have any problems i can talk to you on here rather than driving off from some dodgy breakers yard with no come backs at all
Sam_I_am
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:19 pm

i can't see why doing the steering on grass would be a problem? I do all the work to my van on either grass or a aggregate (type 2 sort of size) covered slope... (engine change was done on the slope...)
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Sam_I_am » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:46 pm

can't comment in all honesty as i've never done it :mrgreen: i'm just going but what's being said....

i'm happy either way to be honest. I just wanna get as much done as possible, if that's the doors great! if that's the steering too even better :)
Sam_I_am
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Sam_I_am » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:38 pm

weeelll....

seem to have fixed my side door :)

out of interest will anyone be bringing a welder?? as by fixing the side door i mean i've removed the battered lock from the outside so i'm left with a hole ideally i wanted welding up and later fit central locking so i can lock and unlock the side from the remote :)

so works i'm hoping to complete at mania will now be...

fit new locks to front doors leaving them as they are other than that
fit new rear doors (if i can find any)
fit new locks to the rear doors to match the front
fit matching ignition
fit a new aireal
get the damned radio working
weld side door hole

is this all possible???

then after this is done pay mr rover a visit at another time and get power steering :D
Sam_I_am
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby gravelrash2004 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:15 am

what you ideally need is someone local to help you with all this lot, its not easy when you have the desire to do something and not the instant ability,,,, its bloody frustrating is what it is.

If you were more local to me i would come across and assist you with the work you want done, most of its easy work once shown. but definitely get the steering done for the price you have been quoted. its safer and you have somewhere to sue if it goes wrong, not that i am decrying anyones ability on here... just basing it on my own abilities with a hangover. :oops:
My Projects
150S :- DOHC 2.0 EFI (115PS), Ratio: 5.14
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=66682&start=15

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=97579&p=829640#p829640
gravelrash2004
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Transitmania