*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Converting my Jumbo

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Converting my Jumbo

Postby madmart132 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:19 am

We have had our Jumbo now for 5 years and have made the decision to convert it to a camper with 4 beds and seats with belts for 4 .
Had to rip up all of the flooring due to seeing some of the horror stories of rust hidden away behind wooden flooring etc , lucky for me just a bit on the rear wheel arches .
So now going to fill in all of the holes in the floor with metal putty etc , grind off any rust on the wheel arches and patch them , totally clean the floor, insulate it and then put back the wooden flooring .
Then giving myself the rest of the week to fix 2 slight water leaks in roof buy and fit a Roof vent , insulate and board off the roof and make a final plan for rest of the van ie basic electrics where to fit the cooker /toilet seats etc .
I am planning to put 2 sets of bunk beds next to the rear doors , kids at the bottom with beds that are 160cms long with a cupboard at each end approx 20cms wide by 100cms tall that will act as a support for a 200cm long adult bed on top that hopefully will turn into 1 155cm wide x 200 cm long bed , I will try to upload what I mean tomorrow .
I am going to work out how to download pictures tomorrow and then start posting as I work .
madmart132
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Converting my Jumbo

Postby madmart132 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:01 pm

The inside has plenty of holes , it must have been a culinder in a previous life .
I have rust proofed all of the holes now using metal filler to block them off .
A good job that I ripped up the floor as found some rust on and around the wheel arches , busy patching
That now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
madmart132
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hectors-tranny » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:55 pm

Great project - have fun! But decide what electrics you need before putting down the flooring and boarding it out. You may wish to run wiring under the floor or up over the roof, for appliances on the other side to your leisure battery :-)
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby madmart132 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:10 pm

Yes , already decided on just simple electrics , 2 x double sockets one on each side with the batteries right at the rear of the van .
I had a few water leaks from the roof on the van and in the end having looked at the various sealants etc just decided to go with good old Mastic !!
Totally horrible stuff gets everywhere and won't wipe off , had to do pretty quick as my 4 year old daughter insisted on holding the ladder . I wom't know for sure if it has sealed it properly until it rains but I have put enough down .
Anyway just adding a couple more pictures before I get down to making Frames
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
madmart132
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby madmart132 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:13 pm

And another from the side
madmart132
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby rogerw » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:20 am

2nd row seats turned facing other way may give more roomy feeling.
2003, petrol
rogerw
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby madmart132 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:01 pm

I have another pair of seats to go in the back, they used to be facing each other like in a train but we need the space for the cooker unit . Also its an insurance issue in this country to have rear facing seats and because thats where the kids will be sitting I don't really want to do something too adventurous .
madmart132
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions