*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Has anyone glued flexible solar panels directly to the roof?

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Has anyone glued flexible solar panels directly to the roof?

Postby Digrizrat » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:54 am

I've got a mk7 swb, and want to put solar on the roof.

I can buy "semi flexible" solar panels in 150cm long, exactly the right length to fit across the roof, just inside the outermost curved lip. I'm thinking a bead of sikaflex high bond along the top of each ridge in the roof would be plenty to hold them down on the motorway. infact I'm a little worried you'd never get them off!

The advantage is there's not added wind resistance and noise from roof racks, and it'll be much harder to see if you're walking outside the van

Has anyone done this? or seen it done?
Digrizrat
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Has anyone glued flexible solar panels directly to the r

Postby NickJ » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:15 am

I've not done this but I heard having an air gap underneath can help with efficiency and cooling as they can get hot.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
NickJ
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Digrizrat » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:03 am

NickJ wrote:I've not done this but I heard having an air gap underneath can help with efficiency and cooling as they can get hot.

Yeah, I'm aware. I was thinking I'd glue them to the ridges in the roof, then there's a cm or 2 under all the trough bits.

Though really, it's only in the cold and miserable weather I'm worried about full efficiency, If it's blazing sun and they get hot enough to drop 10-15% in efficiency I probably won't notice.
Digrizrat
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hornhead » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:04 pm

whitemice did it....search 100wattsolar or similar, campers or mk1/2

i think if just glued to ridges would be stressed with turbulence

i have aerofoil infront of skylight and solid panel on moulded end supports behind that, no noise :D
hornhead
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby 4x4 tranny » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:44 am

Hi
Well have used this type of panel on the roof of my old tarago van glued with fixtech.its been on there 4 yrs now works well but over last 12 months found clear coating has stared to turn yelllow and belive that it is not as effective as it once was.
As I use the van daily batterys allways up to scratch and still runs the fridge for at lease 4 days with no sun (ususally we haved moved on by then anyway).
Yes heat transfer affects to point but it still works well.
The reason for us was weight apperance and no drag .
Would I reuse? For long term or long periods of stay no think normal panels are more efficient and will be using them on my new build.
4x4 tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:54 pm

I've just bought one of these panels as a kit from Midsummer Energy in Cambridge.

They recommend using double sided tape as first choice of fixing, or Sikaflex as second choice (they include an adhesive sheet as an option -ideal for flt caravan mount).

They told me to thoroughly de-grease the back of the panel and the roof, gently rough the paint with a fine Scotchbrite pad and de-grease again. Then use 3M VHB tape (or equivalent) along the ridges and stick it down.

I'm giving Titan Tapes (UK made alternative to VHB tape) a ring on Monday for some advice on the best tape to use, as there are many different versions for different applications and material types, then buy what they suggest.

As my panel is a couple inches wider than the ridges ( I'm mounting it lengthways), I plan using tape on the ridges and then sitting the side edges down on a bead of Sikaflex to stop any vibration in the wind. My panel has 3 pairs of eyelets down each side, which will help with this.

That's the plan anyway!
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mistericeman » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:05 pm

I avoided flexible panels due to the stories of overheating and degradation of the surface over time ...went for solid panels on brackets instead been fine so far and no increase in wind noise (Mind I did make up a wind deflector out of some shed guttering lol )

Nice to get some input into the batteries over the summer (Bear in mind you'll be getting next to OR nothing in winter time )

mistericeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions